1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What grade fuel do you pump?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 420Tacoma, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Jan 5, 2008 at 11:45 AM
    420Tacoma

420Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Doublecab Short Bed TRD Sport
    None. Stock with options - Roof rack, running boards, hood scoop, etc.
    When I purchased my 07 4.0 V6 Taco, the dealer did not mention anything about pumping premium gasoline. But I have read on a few sites that premium fuel is recommended/ required. ??? So what grade are you guys pumping for your 4.0 v6 owners?

Here is one of the links that says its required for premium gasoline.. (end of the 1st page)

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/112_0502_totywin

2. Jan 5, 2008 at 11:51 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    it doesnt require premium. if you look in your owners manual, all the HP/gas mileage specs are given on regular unleaded. from everything i've heard from others on here, the best fuel for added performance based on price is mid-grade. its better than regular and about the same as premium for less price. i always run mid-grade in mine.

3. Jan 5, 2008 at 3:37 PM
    45longcolt

45longcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    Regular for me, never heard any knocking yet either. I saw that same thing you are talking about before I got my truck. A good buddy has had one for two years now and he says his runs fine on regular too.

4. Jan 5, 2008 at 7:09 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Just regular, and in the winter every 3rd or 4th tank I fill with high test for cleaning properties.

5. Jan 5, 2008 at 7:29 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    mid-grade......and every couple of tanks, i'll run high-test. every oil change gets a bottle of techron for the gas tank.

6. Jan 5, 2008 at 8:28 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    reg. here, thinkin bout switchin to mid grade tho

7. Jan 5, 2008 at 8:46 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    All the numbers in your manual are in fact based on regular. however, the 05 numbers were based on premium, and it showed a somewhat significant bump in both horsepower and torque. So for me, considering that my tacoma is not my daily driver and most of the time (read as 7-8 out of 12 months) it had a trailer behind it, I figure I can spring for the premium.

Also, for what it's worth. I have run premium since I bought the truck, but since it is winter, and so no RV towing duty I figured I'd check out what some of you guys have said about mid-grade being better. So I ran a tank of midgrade on my holiday visit to see friends and family in Virginia, and here are my observations on that.

1. It did seem to show moderately better fuel mileage with the midgrade. That tank was 19.2 MPG (mostly highway) but I was stuck in bumper to bumper stop and go for not quite an hour in Delaware.

2. There was a noticible lack of power with the mid-grade. You may not notice it as much if you are used to running regular, but all I have ever known in this truck was premium, so I saw it right away. I had to downshift for moderate grades that I do not even have to downshift for in the summer on premium with the trailer in tow.

3. The premium does seem to show as being about 1 MPG worse but, I'll hapily sacrifice that 1 MPG to have the power I have come to know and expect from my truck. So I say if you can swing the extra 20 cents a gallon go for the premium, (or atleast do it when you are towing or hauling)

Those are my observations, I am not disputing what anyone has said, just offering up my oppinion. Quite litterally, you're mileage may vary. :)

8. Jan 5, 2008 at 8:55 PM
    L_Jackson

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    ok mav, u convinced me to try premium. i fill up once every couple weeks on average so it'll be worth it if i see performance gain.

9. Jan 5, 2008 at 9:00 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    L Jackson,

Let me know what you think after you give it a try.

Also question about your listed mods... One nerf bar???? Is this a new style? Did you misplace one of them? Tragic rock crawling incident? This has the potential to be a really good story. :)

10. Jan 5, 2008 at 9:17 PM
    L_Jackson

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
  11. Jan 5, 2008 at 9:45 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Mid-Grade. I filled the first tank with regular but switched to mid-grade. I read somewhere that the compression rating on the V6 is right at the cross-over point (below 10:1, use regular, above 10:1 use mid-grade).

12. Jan 5, 2008 at 11:31 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    87 Octane here....truck runs fine so far.

13. Jan 6, 2008 at 7:11 AM
    kaisersteiner

kaisersteiner Active Member

Member:
    2007 4.0 prerunner using 87 with 14k miles. No problems so far no pinging and getting about 19-22mpg on the HWY and 15-16 in town.

14. Jan 6, 2008 at 8:19 AM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    I'm not ever going to premium in my truck, from what I am reading It will give me extra power, which means I'll have to keep putting premium in there to get the power. Maybe I'll treat myself to a tank of premium on my birthday, enjoy the power for a few days until it's time to refuel LOL

15. Jan 6, 2008 at 10:34 AM
    Dain

Dain New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 TRD Off Road
    I use mid. For me, thats 89. So far, I feel it works better than the Regular.
    In my S10 I used to add things like 104+ or Lucas products Octane Boosts and Fuel Stabilizers - have not with the Tacoma. Not sure if i need to or should.

16. Jan 6, 2008 at 12:06 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    If you change your creepy avatar I'll buy you a tank of high test. :D

17. Jan 6, 2008 at 12:27 PM
    420Tacoma

420Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Doublecab Short Bed TRD Sport
    None. Stock with options - Roof rack, running boards, hood scoop, etc.
    Since purchasing my Taco, I have pumped 3 full tanks , 87, 91 then 89. I could easily tell the difference between 87 and 91. It pulls a lot stronger with 91. But I dont think I could tell the difference between 89 and 91. So mid-grade is what I'll go with..

18. Jan 6, 2008 at 1:18 PM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    C'mon man just buy me a tank cause I'm a nice guy, I really don't wanna change my avatar LOL.

19. Jan 6, 2008 at 1:38 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    It costs me approx $156 a year to use premium instead of regular. Since $150 doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot to me, especially over the course of a year, I'll continue to use premium.

BTW, I did have some pinging when using regular when I first got the truck.

20. Jan 6, 2008 at 5:31 PM
    Trackmaster

Trackmaster Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4X4
    The company that I work for hauls bulk petroleum gas and diesel. Most all the mid-grad fuels on the market today meet premium specks. So a lot of times it is the same gas.

Products Discussed in

To Top