1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What gun to get?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by lopedogg, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Mar 4, 2010 at 5:54 PM
    lopedogg

lopedogg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    '12 TACO TRD
    Hey guys I've been thinking about getting my first gun but not sure what to get. I was thinking of something like a Glock or a sig? I'm not familiar with guns so much help is appreciated. It would be for home protection and maybe something that can be concealed as well. Thanks.

2. Mar 4, 2010 at 5:56 PM
    NCTacoma09

NCTacoma09 Stand for Nothing or Die for Something

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 Double Cab 4x4 V6
    I have a Glock and I love it.

3. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
  4. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah- We all have our opinons- just like oil and underwear. You need to decide what you like most of all. The gun makers that are out there today are all pretty good- Get one that makes you happy and it'll pay off in the long run.

5. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    godofspeed

godofspeed Washington State.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD OR DC
    Body Armor front bumper Body Armor rear bumper 17x8.5 Method Bead Lock 35x12.50 Camburg LT Fox coilover All Pro 11 pack leaf Fox rear shock with DSC Allpro frame slider Smittybuilt 9500 winch Cobra CB w/firestick antenna. Hi-lift Smittybuilt air compressor
    I am a big HK fan. But for the money, you can't beat Glock.

6. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I like SA XDs but the only way to know which one to buy is to go to a range and rent a few different pistols. If you can't do that then go to a gun store and touch them all. Get a good feel for the grip and trigger pull by dry firing.

7. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I like SA guns- but their customer service has been SUCKING. I can't get a call back for anything- even tho I want to give them 800 bucks....Can't figure out for the LIFE OF ME what it takes to get a phone call....

I might be getting a SIG because of it...More money, but at least they talk to me on the phone and act like they are interested in my special order...

8. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    Glock all the way

9. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I love my XD9. As above stated holding and shooting if possible is the best way to go. I enjoyed shooting my brothers Glock and was going out to buy one when a friend showed up with his XD and I just held it and preferred the fitament over the Glock. Have never turned back. So just go out and try to handle as many as you can.

10. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I wish that's what she'd say....

11. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    honestly bro there both amazing firearms... its gonna be on preference in my opinion... cuz i just recently purchased the Kimber 1911 .45 cal target eclipse 2... i was dead set on the HK .45 Cal USP but when i went to the gun shop i held and fired both... hands down the 1911 won the battle.... granted it is a 1911 but i thought they were just talked about so much like they were the shit and overrated, boy i was wrong haha lol... it also is gonna depend on how much u wanna spend as well... and when actually getting a grasp on the gun my mind changed 180 degrees lol... i have been told sooo many times to actually hold the gun and if u can fire it as well.... that is the best way to make your decision.... just my 2 cent... what Caliber u looking for..??

12. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I've only needed them once to adjust my rear sights and they were great. They paid for shipping both ways and had it back to me in a week. I can't complain about that.

13. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    THE TECHNICIAN

THE TECHNICIAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    You should buy my XD-40.

14. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    Blade-Runner

Blade-Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Prerunner
    Performance: - TRD Supercharger - URD 2.85 Pulley - APR X-1 - Doug Thorley long tube headers - Magnaflow CAT back - Toytec 3" lift Audio: - Damplifier Pro, doors (x2), rear wall, floor, kick panel & firewall - JL 13TW5 - Polk Audio db6501 - Polk Audio db5251 - Alpine PDX 1.600 & 4.100 - Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD
    Home defense, go with a 12 gauge shot gun and a taser.

15. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    x2!!

16. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    MOT

MOT Prez of @BattleBornToyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 DB DC 4X4 Sr5 Sport
    Black Housing Head, Custom Retro fit, T-Rex #2 Eyelids 50 inch ToughLight Radius Bar and 2 20 inch Bars behind grill with BAMF mount, T-Rex #2 Eyelids, Custom Vegas Dezert Fab Front Bumper and Rock Sliders,Wet Okole's, WeatherTech Mats, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pro Comp 6 InchStage 2 Lift, K&N Intake,
    Best Money Can Buy I Think! HK USP Compact 40 Cal Great For The Truck Fits Right Next To Me Between The Center Consol And The Passanger Seat! Its A Great Size Compact![​IMG]

17. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    that might be my next one lol...
    i ended up getting this one
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/eclipse/

18. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    MOT

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 DB DC 4X4 Sr5 Sport
    Black Housing Head, Custom Retro fit, T-Rex #2 Eyelids 50 inch ToughLight Radius Bar and 2 20 inch Bars behind grill with BAMF mount, T-Rex #2 Eyelids, Custom Vegas Dezert Fab Front Bumper and Rock Sliders,Wet Okole's, WeatherTech Mats, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pro Comp 6 InchStage 2 Lift, K&N Intake,
    Ya I Love THis Gun Great Size And So Freaking Fun To Shoot! Going To Buy A Full Size P2000 Soon With The Threaded Barrlo For The Supresser! HEHE

19. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    MOT

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 DB DC 4X4 Sr5 Sport
    O One More Thing Sorry Xd Fans But I Hate That There Is A Grip Saftey Kinda Stupied I Think But If You Are Looking For A Ok Gun For Cheap Thats The Way To Go Not Saying That Xds Are Cheat Guns Dont Freak Out! HAHA!

20. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:57 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Okay- So I see an opinion...but nothing to back it up?? Have you seen failures or incorrect operation because of it??

(BTW- Thumb flip safeties are what I hate- They beg to be tripped the wrong direction accidentally during a high stress encounter)

Products Discussed in

To Top