1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What happens to oil after 4 years in an engine?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by BamaToy1997, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Mar 21, 2013 at 10:59 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Actually, my primary concern would be overheating the caustic solution leading to a boil over, fire and increased corrosion of the mild steel used for the parts washer housing. Twenty gallons of a hot corrosive liquid on the floor can be quite a mess to clean up, not to mention a burn hazard. Plus an electrical hazard if the element were to fail. And secondary damage to whatever was on the floor...

I spent a decade working as a safety engineer at a superfund site...one of the processes we cleaned up were molten salt furnaces designed to run at over 1000 degrees F to heat uranium billets. Another process was HOT, concentrated nitric acid used to dissolve uranium as a preliminary step for refining, with a third process of roasting uranium oxide in hydrofluoric acid. I had EPA on speed dial:)

If I was building this for my personal shop use, I would get a thermostatically controlled heater, probably immersion type from Grainger or McMaster-Carr rated for the environment it will be used in. That would transfer the responsibility for the heater hazards to a deep pocket corporation.

Building and maintaining environmentally safe parts cleaners has been a challenge for industry for the last 20 years. I have priced the premade, heated, water based parts cleaners, like simple green and purple power but the price tag was easily 20 times the cost of the mild steel solvent based ones from HF or Northern Tool or TSC. Plus the cost of keeping the material warm and from freezing in my selectively heated shop through the winter would be high.

We can talk off line on some design elements for your particular needs, I am not fully comfortable doing this on a open forum where things can be taken out of context.

Howard
    hetkind@bestweb.net

2. Mar 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 [OP] Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I guess you have not been reading my entire posts? I have mentioned on more than one occasion that I will be using a thermostatically controlled system.:D I also mentioned that I will not be using caustic cleaners.

3. Mar 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    Jesus, Hetkind. If you want to debate parts washers, start a new thread. Those of us subscribed to this thread are here because we're interested in the thread title.

:stayontopic:

4. Mar 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    DOWN BOY!....SIT!.....GOOD BOY! :D

images_8af9bead53221c4f424062d28402d5c7d45678eb.jpg

Actually it is going along pretty good! I have the heads installed, valve covers installed, intake manifold (upper, mid, and lower), and expect to be turning the engine over the first part of next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Mar 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    As mentioned, it was bought this way after 4 years of being outside. From talking to the new owner, I am sure it will be taken much better care of by him.

6. Mar 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    I know what you mean. The biggest "disgusted" situation I have ever seen was an uncle in law. This guy had a 1969 GTO Judge. Not the wanna be, but the rare one that actually had "Judge" in the title. The poor thing was sitting up on blocks in his back yard being rained on for nearly 10 years that I know of. He refused to sell it, but wasn't able to afford to restore it either. I was so sad that I actually bought him a car cover for it, just so that it wouldn't have to bear the worst of the weather.

7. Mar 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    :laughing:

Lookin' good Bill!

8. Mar 22, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    It looks like this job is coming to a good conclusion...and without five gallon buckets of nasty mixtures of grease, solvent and soap back in the corner.

We have come a long way from the heated vats of carbon tetrachloride (one of the early "safety solvents") and the even earlier tanks of benzene (flammable and a known carcinogen).

I am interested in what happens at start up...just out of curiosity, how many hours do you have into this job so far?

Howard

9. Mar 22, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    You haven't seen all of the pictures then. I have about 6 quarts of muck drained from the original engine, and went through a total of 5 gallons of Purple power to get this thing clean. lmao. I think it is about time though to put to rest the comments about the parts cleaners. You are shooting a dead horse at this point. I have about 10 hours of physical work on it, spread out over several weeks. I let the owner know that this would be an ongoing project, and that a lot of time would be spent with parts soaking in the washer for 24-48 hours or longer. The heads themselves spent 4 days in the cleaner.

10. Mar 23, 2013 at 6:45 AM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    Reminds me what I rescued a /6 dodge truck powerplant and NP420 transmission out of a junkyard for rebuild...I had to scrape the carbon out of the valve covers with a putty knife.

11. Mar 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!!.....Sort of.....

Well this morning the truck fired for the first time. After all of the extensive work done on the engine, I was ready to start it this morning. First I disconnected the coils and cranked the engine over a couple of times. I spun it up for 15 seconds each time. This is done to build up oil pressure so that none of the bearings or other lubricated parts are dry when the engine starts. After that we reconnected the coils, and she did not want to start. Checking showed that we had no fuel pressure. Seems like the fuel pump does not want to energize, or perhaps the relay has gone. Heck, after all this time, we may be empty on gas. I still have to check on that. What I did do was used a small amount of gas that I sprayed into the intake. Engine fired up, and of course died quickly as I was unable to keep fuel going into the intake. So once we have the fuel issue worked out, we will go from there!

MUAH! Dr. Frankenstein has breathed LIFE into the Tacoma!!

12. Mar 28, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Not sure if that will help but few times on vehicles when I had to work on engine or oil pump I used to remove oil filter and pour clean oil down toward the oil pump to prime it so oil pressure builds up faster.

13. Mar 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    A method commonly used, yes, however I have learned that it does not help very much when the engine was totally dry. Just in my experience. But still a good idea.

14. Mar 29, 2013 at 5:21 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
  15. Mar 31, 2013 at 2:54 AM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    well, did you get gas to the engine yet? I want to know if the lower end is still good...

16. Apr 1, 2013 at 10:36 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Still waiting on the replacement fuel pump. Once we get that, and get it installed we will have more information.

17. Apr 15, 2013 at 6:29 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Fuel pump has been replaced. I had to remove the tank and clean it out a lot first though. Lots of crystalization of old gasoline. Now she is running and the engine has been assembled. Right now I have to evaluate the transmission, and finish putting the grill/front end together.

18. Apr 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    progress...

19. Apr 15, 2013 at 4:01 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Yeah. It has been a project truck at this point. I have had to be on and off again on this truck several times. At the rate I am going under the hood, I think the truck is going to want an engagement ring soon...lmao.

20. Apr 16, 2013 at 3:41 AM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    Projects always seem to come together sooner or later...

Products Discussed in

To Top