1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What have you done to improve your 6-speed manual?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kiteboarder, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Nov 18, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    That is what I have been hearing is the clutch and the thow out bearing are the issues, plus the tranny is clunky too I guess. Seems that there is a thread posted on 6 speed problems every other day anymore lol

2. Nov 18, 2011 at 10:11 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Yeah, I know. The work truck is an 09 4cyl 5 speed. I would love to have that trans behind the V6 in my personal truck. That thing feels solid. My six speed feels likes it's going to grind every time I shift. Occasionally it actually does grind. Thanks Toyota. Next time I will read up a bit more before I drop my money. Damn shame, it's a very good driving truck other than that, and I spent a long time chasing down this exact set of options in a used truck.

3. Nov 18, 2011 at 10:26 PM
    tx novice

tx novice Foward momentum

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    OAHU
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4X4 TX PRO silver
    Trd, Cal Tech, Weather tech, Viper, Al's tinting . L.E.D's , Hide a Hitch or Chrome Stinger , Walker Evans Resi's w/AllPro 3" lift ,FLM, ProComp Xtreme MT2 , Diff Breather Mod, 4x4 Switch Light mod, Plastic Derped. Trailer Socket Relocate mod via Miles , 4:56 G2 gears. Blue Intake Spacer, S.S. Brake Lines F&R, Sway Bar Deleted, Roll-X, Pop-N-Lock Electric. Red metal TRD badges. Paid Off Mod- Chee Hu, Superbumbs(f),Timbrens(r).Pelfrey Bilt, Bamf, Urd. Cobra Heat Shield.CMC .Mishimoto (custom bracket by Nate), Powerstop, Rampage 50".Depo Taillights,SPPC Black Headlights, Rigid Industries. Factor 55.American AirFlow.
    I put Mobil 1 oil, stage 4 clutch ( stock flywheel ) and Trd short shifter. Worked great!

4. Nov 19, 2011 at 12:24 AM
    vermintrex

vermintrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT Shorty
    BFG A/T KO 265/70/17, '11 FJ wheels, 5100's all four corners, Eibach springs, 1/4" Taco lean spacer, Leer 100XR, WeatherTech liners, trimmed mud flaps and I farted in it.
    when I need to shift into 2nd...I shift into 2nd....then I either shift to 3rd..or 4th...depending on the situation of course...from there I may shift to 5th or 6th....I tend to use 1st to get the truck moving..

sometimes I eat bbq while pretending to be a dinosaur

5. Nov 19, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Think I have found my next mod. Should fix all my issues. Thanks! :D

6. Nov 19, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    I had to put a u-bolt on each rear leaf pack because otherwise when the axle unwinds during a quick shift the thing won't want to go into gear.

It's otherwise not a bad transmission. 99% of the time it does what I want it to do. No TOB noises as of yet.

I've driven far worse, although none that had such a short final gear for the engine size. True my Honda would spin 3600 rpm on the freeway at 70 mph but it would still get 38 mpg when it did it because it was only a 91 cubic inch engine. The truck, not so much.

7. Nov 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    kimo

kimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Sport DCLB 4X4!
    I love it except when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic. UHG !

8. Nov 19, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    Wallygater

Wallygater Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Softopper, All-pro bolt-on sliders, Tom Wood's drive shaft, Goodyear 235/85/16 Dura-trac's, SG, USA-Spec I-pod adaptor, Amsoil in everything
    Getting the manual is a no brainer. Can't stand how the auto acts with the gear hunting and when the cruise is on. Any slight hill with the cruise on and next thing you know the truck kicks down and is screaming at 5000 rpm, lol! With that said I have only done two things to improve the 6 speed. I changed the fluid to Amsoil manual trans fluid and I learned how to drive it.

I moved the seat back more and got away from my old train of thought. I always took the clutch pedal to the floor in other manuals. With this truck it shifts smoother if you don't take the clutch pedal to the floor. Also shift around 2500 rpm. And actually the more you hammer this trans the smoother it shifts. It shifts better at redline than 2000 rpm. So on moving the seat back, YMMV but it worked for me. :cool:

9. Nov 19, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    kiteboarder

kiteboarder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    Haha. You posted this exact copy a few weeks ago? Hehe. Sorry, I guess I didn't find it. :cool: Promise, I really didn't see it.

Thread's going well BTW. I'm liking what I'm reading about the fluid choices and the different short-shifters.

10. Nov 19, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    Shift slow and you will be happy with it.

11. Nov 19, 2011 at 10:02 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    The 5 speed is an Aisin (Japanese) and the 6 speed is a Getrag (German).
    I have a 5 spd and I have driven the 6 spd.
    While the 6 speed feels more like a truck tranny (good), I don't like the gearing at 1 and 2.
    I also don't like the throttle control.

12. Nov 19, 2011 at 10:34 PM
    rhys

rhys Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    6-spd 4x4 sb or
    afe intake, flexalite fan, cab a/c outlet, de-chrome in progress, bedlined sides, custom head and tail lights, arb front
    i too have changed fluid and learned how to finesse the trans. with about 115,000 miles, its smoother, but i dont have any problems now. i used to get frustrated because it would grind, but when i learned how to really drive a manual, that went away.

-throttling on the downshift to synchronize engine and trans rpm is a great skill to learn.
    -if you do rely on the synchros to do all the work, u need to ease it in gear if the rpms have a big 'gap' when doing so
    -i read that anytime you dont completely disengage and engage your clutch, it causes excessive wear. is that not true?

13. Nov 19, 2011 at 11:48 PM
    kiteboarder

kiteboarder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    That last statement is true, but it doesn't really mean that not pushing the pedal all the way down is not fully engaging/disengaging the clutch. Depends on the car really. While I always push all the way down, some cars have the clutch fully actuate before the pedal is all the way down.

14. Nov 20, 2011 at 12:10 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    URD short shifter + just as important, a heavy aftermarket shift knob to help with momentum of shifting. I also got the TSB for the clutch squeek

Also, changed out the fluids with royal purple at 30k and 60k. Approaching 90k soon and will replace with RP again.

15. Nov 20, 2011 at 12:31 AM
    hudhawk

hudhawk #texasforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Hudson
    California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Rust, lots of rust
  16. Nov 21, 2011 at 2:13 PM
    Kodachrome

Kodachrome Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Taco, 2021 Audi eTron GT
    TRD S/C, URD Galore
    TRD short shifter and Redline MT-90, works fine for the most part. I will grind 4th into 5th and 5th into 6th if the RPMs are too high. I have 136,000 on it, I could see buying a spare low mileage tranny and building it up a bit when this one is toast.

17. Nov 29, 2011 at 3:17 AM
    cjmcguire90

cjmcguire90 Member

Member:
    Pitt
    Vehicle:
    05 Ext Cab 4wd 6speed
    URD short throw
    Hey TacomaWorld,

I like reading all the opinions on the 6 speed.

Since 115,000 miles (Summer of 2010) my 6 speed has pulled a trailer with a zero turn/push mower/trimmer/etc near 15,000 miles (ESTIMATE!!!!!) with no issues at all. I am 21 now and started a small lawn care business as I work my way through college.

I have been browsing recently looking for reviews of shift knobs to replace my stock 6 speed one. The leather stitching on it is worn out and is falling apart, plus I just want a new cleaner looking one. (PM me if you have any honest input...good or bad!)

--> My truck has 145,000 miles the original clutch (which is on its way out :D)
    > Only mod to it is the URD SS kit at 100k.
    > At 108k I forget the exact definition, but the trans was dropped because the shift fork dropped a bolt randomly which led to the truck being stuck in fourth gear lol.

Anyways, I have not had any problems with the 6 speed other than that, the only thing I dislike about the transmission is it takes skill to back up a trailer uphill in reverse slowly (driveways/parking lots/etc.).

All in all, I personally never knew so many people were unhappy with the transmission, and for some reason I have always been happy with it! :eek:

Happy Holidays Taco World!

18. Nov 29, 2011 at 7:04 AM
    fatsac

fatsac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Millbury, MA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC Offroad
    Katz Leather, heated seats, Tint, KN Filter, OME 887, Camburg UCA, Dakar packs, 17x9 XD, 295/70 Toyo MT w cab mount chop, fender massage, Weathertechs, Black PC steps, skidplate, 2012 grill, Bushwacker painted flares, Nearly every TSB you can think of, TRD quickshift, All-Pro front w/ Skids, 9k winch, Tonneau cover, voodoo tailgate cap...
    Love my 6spd BUT only after:
    Most recent throwout TSB (no problems in over 10k)
    TRD S Shift
    TRD shift knob is the perfect weight too
    Overall, I'd say it's as good as any with those mods. All my driving is in the city these days being in Florida, so skipping gears is a habit. Bad or good I don't know?? Can't remember the last time I didn't run from 3rd to 5th or 4th to 6th...

Just like the truck, I had my grumbles in the beginning but after years of mods, it can't be beat!

19. Nov 29, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Best way to deal with a 6 speed is learn how to use it.

20. Nov 29, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    cjmcguire90

cjmcguire90 Member

Member:
    Pitt
    Vehicle:
    05 Ext Cab 4wd 6speed
    URD short throw
    Could you/anyone verify this fixed the problem of the shifter feeling so loose when in gear? I love my truck, but when in any gear, if you did not know the truck it almost feels like as if it were in neutral.

:eek:Bash away, but Im 21 and thought that maybe the actual shifter was worn out and needed replaced or something. :confused:

Any constructive answers or experiences with this "mod" are highly appreciated.

Thanks guys,
    Corey

Products Discussed in

To Top