1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What have you done to improve your 6-speed manual?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kiteboarder, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    hudhawk

hudhawk #texasforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Hudson
    California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Rust, lots of rust
    Replacing the worn out POS factory rubber shift seat with this one made all the difference. I made the mistake of actually replacing my entire shifter because no one could tell me what was wrong with it. Replacing the shifter did nothing. I found this HD shift seat by chance when I was cruising through the Marlin Crawler website. It sounded like a good fix and it was only a $10 investment so I figured it was worth the chance. It tightened up everything and makes the shifter feel SO MUCH BETTER. It's definately worth the $10 for everyone with the 6-speed manual tranny.

2. Nov 29, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    cjmcguire90

cjmcguire90 Member

Member:
    Pitt
    Vehicle:
    05 Ext Cab 4wd 6speed
    URD short throw
    Hudhawk,

Thanks for the reply!!!! I have been wondering what I could do to fix that issue, but as you said, No one knows!!!! Ill have to order it after class tonight, can't wait! :D How hard is the installation? (I am not really sure where it goes lol, never really opened up anything before, but I am sure it can't be that bad...just looking for opinions).

Thanks again Hud!

3. Jan 25, 2012 at 2:29 AM
    rhys

rhys Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    6-spd 4x4 sb or
    afe intake, flexalite fan, cab a/c outlet, de-chrome in progress, bedlined sides, custom head and tail lights, arb front
    i ordered the delrin shifter ball seat from MC and it goes under the rubber boot where the stick enters the trans.

i was hoping to eliminate or at least reduce the amount of play in the stick, but the play is actually where the black part of the stick joins with the bare metal part on the bottom. check this out for yourself before you order this part. you probably dont need it.

i have a 2006

taco stick (1).jpg
    taco stick (2).jpg

4. Jan 25, 2012 at 3:14 AM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not sure if the 5 speed is truly better than the 6. There is the known issue of 1st to 2nd shift needing high RPM. Several reported cases of clutch slipping (Luk clutches) too.

YMMV, but after years of chasing stick shifts, special ordering etc. I have come to the realization that sticks are only good in certain applications - e.g., high revving, track use cars. A 6 speed with ridiculous ratios in a big ass slow ass truck isn't fun, when you are constantly rowing the gears just to keep up with the Hyundai in the next lane. Lesson learned for me, end rant.

5. Jan 25, 2012 at 3:32 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    I haven't read the thread, but I put synthetic tranny oil in my 6speed.

BUT I did learn something: the tranny calls for GL-4 or GL-5 grade lubricants. I used a GL-5 (Same as rear diff so i could just buy multiple at the time). The GL-5 has slightly different additives to it, making it seem a lot more thicker in the icey temps here in Canada. Makes it harder to shift then regular dino oil till she's warmed up

When I replace it soon I will be using a GL-4.

6. Jan 25, 2012 at 3:37 AM
    Wallygater

Wallygater Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Softopper, All-pro bolt-on sliders, Tom Wood's drive shaft, Goodyear 235/85/16 Dura-trac's, SG, USA-Spec I-pod adaptor, Amsoil in everything

Well in your case I guess my mileage does vary cause I love my 6 speed Tacoma. I had the auto. It sucks compared to the 6 speed. So much fun and why would I have to keep up with the Hyundai in the next lane? I do my own thing and get to my destination when I get there. It's a truck :cool:

7. Jan 25, 2012 at 3:46 AM
    aw113sgte

aw113sgte Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 2012 6spd and have no complaints about it at all. I've owned some vehicles known for good shifting too (MR2, NSX, S2000). Then again I know there were improvements over the years and mine is still low miles.

8. Jan 25, 2012 at 4:17 AM
    fructus

fructus Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '12 SR5 DC SB
    You gotta have a heavy shift knob. I'm running TWM Performance Big Type R knob which weighs in at 600g. Makes whole lotta difference.

9. Jan 25, 2012 at 6:07 AM
    cintocrunch

cintocrunch Special Substitute Guest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport MGM 6MT
    Anytime fogs, Leer Tonneau
    I have a 2012 6 speed and owned a 2011 Civic Si, a 2001 Pathfinder 5 speed, a 99 Dakota 3.9 5 speed and a 69 Camaro 4 speed. My thoughts are:

-The throws are pretty good stock, the length is fine with me for a truck and I never doubt what gear I am in. The effort is satisfying but not too high.
    -This transmissions LOVES to be shifted deliberately, not rushed. If I try to treat it like my Si I get a grind while releasing the clutch (I am no expert but I think it is the slow synchros)
    -Overall I am satisfied with the transmission, I do wish 5 and 6 were a little taller for lower highway RPM's but I knew where they were before I bought it, so not a deal breaker
    -Of all truck manuals I have driven the Pathfinder was the best. The ratios were perfectly matched for the engine and it was just as happy being babied as tortured. Chirping the tires in second was pretty easy to accomplish with no grinding.

Edit: Everyone driving manuals, learn how to rev-match your downshifts, it makes the transmission much more pleasant and increases longevity if you do it right...

10. Jan 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    kiteboarder

kiteboarder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    What I'm curious to know if if Toyota quietly made an update to the 2012 6-speed... Or if it's just the new-car feel. Seems like a lot of the new comments are based on the 2012 6-speed.

I should go and drive one and see.

I got so bummed with the 6-speed when researching the truck to buy it (2011), that I started considering ditching the truck idea and buying a Mitsubishi Evo X or a Mazda MX-5!

11. Jan 25, 2012 at 10:56 AM
    kessler89

kessler89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    12' Pro4x 6MT
    TBA
    here's how i made mine better, bought a real 6MT

photobucket-794-1327517692569_5fd7132e55b67718ef5be41e1983081cf2788e27.jpg

12. Jan 25, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    kiteboarder

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    I'm not going to argue with you there, I test drove a 2011 Frontier 4X-Pro and I LOVED the 6-Speed. The truck was GREAT. The problem is it sorta cancelled each other out and I got a case of analysis paralysis and didn't buy either!

I couldn't get around to buying the Nissan which depreciates so much and is due for a more fuel efficient engine... Then, I couldn't go and buy the Taco based on the 6-speed (after having driven the Fronty). Plus, it's also due for a new engine!

Automatic is not an option for me.

13. Jan 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    kessler89

kessler89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    12' Pro4x 6MT
    TBA
    get a tune for it and you can see upwards of 22mpg, something else you cant do with a toytoa (tune/programer)

14. Jan 25, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    kiteboarder

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    Oh neat, that's a great idea. I hadn't thought about that. People always associate tunes with the little sports cars.

15. Jan 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    forana

forana Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB OR Lunar Rock
    No money, all went to truck...
    I love the 6sp. It does like to shift above 2500 and clunks a little but its awesome.

Still learning the nuances and stuff on how to drive it better.

What do you mean to rev match when downshifting?

16. Jan 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    fructus

fructus Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '12 SR5 DC SB
    Rev-matching refers to matching the engine speed to the transmission input speed before re-engaging the clutch. This is particularly desirable when downshifting for a corner. In a hard corner, the suspension needs to be stable and the tires need to be loaded so that all of their traction is being used to generate cornering force. If the engine is at a different speed than the transmission input when the clutch is re-engaged, this will generate a force on the driveline that will upset the stability of the suspension and will cause the tires to exceed their traction capability if the corner is being taken near the limit.

It is necessary to rev-match if a corner is to be taken near the limit. It isn't necessary for slower corners, but it will make them smoother.

17. Jan 25, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    Palooka

Palooka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Crescent Valley, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    I put in a URD SS... I honestly didn't even know people have had so many issues with the 6-speed. I love it... Especially going from my old F-150 that wouldn't shift worth shit.

18. Jan 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    cintocrunch

cintocrunch Special Substitute Guest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport MGM 6MT
    Anytime fogs, Leer Tonneau
    It isn't necessary but if you learn how to do it effectively it makes the driving experience much more enjoyable...

19. Jan 25, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    kiteboarder

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    ^^^I suppose that if you rev match downshifting while braking before a turn, you need to heel-toe the brake and glad right? I can't think of any other way, cause your left foot is busy on the clutch.

20. Jan 26, 2012 at 1:46 AM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is a lumbering truck, not an M3 or an S2000. Easy with the rev matching and heal toe!! You guys crack me up.

Products Discussed in

To Top