1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What have you done to improve your 6-speed manual?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kiteboarder, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Jan 26, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    reiss91

reiss91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Gray
  2. Jan 26, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    chefalank

chefalank Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    12 Silver Mica TRD Sport
    I bought my first taco about a month ago. 6 spd manual and love it. I drove both and for me there is nothing better than a manual transmission. Have not done anything to it yet because of the money but want to follow this thread for ideas.
    Stick with the stick. There is nothing better

3. Jan 26, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Agreed. My last Honda was so smooth that more than once I forgot to use the clutch (grind!) simply because I momentarily forgot that it was a manual transmission.

The learning curve to this truck sucks. Once you get it, it's not bad. I still pretend I'm driving a crashbox though.

Best thing to improve this gearbox is keep the speed down. 6th gear shouldn't feel like it can tow small houses.

4. Jan 27, 2012 at 5:07 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    If I had been driving a 6 spd. for years and not a 5 spd. there would be no problem the gearing is made for towing it sure is nice in 6th at highway speeds with my camper instead of locking out the O/D. Apples and oranges they are cars with a lot smaller gears, FWD and a lot less weight try an GM truck with a 5 speed if you want to compere transmissions now there is a transmission that sucks. I will agree with you about the revs hanging but that has every thing to do with emissions and nothing to do with the transmission.

5. Jan 27, 2012 at 5:24 AM
    aw113sgte

aw113sgte Well-Known Member

Member:
    I test drove a 2011 FJ with TRD quick shifter and a 2012 Tacoma. The tacoma felt much smoother, but the quick shifter could have been making the difference.

6. Jan 27, 2012 at 5:28 AM
    aw113sgte

aw113sgte Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 2012 so something might have changed, however I have no complaints. I have owed an NSX and S2000, the S2000 usually wins "best gearbox ever made" competitions in those magazine comps. With that said, I have zero complaints about my truck's transmission. I do agree with the rev hang, total BS.
    As far as your "4 gears between redlights" I don't mind at all. Reason being, I want that very short first gear for towing or offroading. Yeah 6th could be taller, but that is a minor issue. I don't do a lot of highway so it isn't that big of a deal.

7. Jan 27, 2012 at 5:43 AM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well if you owned an S2000, you do know what a good gearbox is. I am not sure if its that gearbox or some derivative of it that they put in their Si, RSX, TSX and TL, but that gearbox is magical.

What percentage of miles does an average Tacoma owner drive offroad or while towing? I'd venture a guess and say 10%. Afterall, if you wanted a serious offroader or tow truck, you would have bought a full size Ford or something of that nature. The Tacoma is a light family/passenger truck. Hence the ratios should be more suited to the 90% and not the 10%. I tow my bikes quite a bit. I offroad quite a bit. But that's less than 10% of the miles and the rest of the 90% of the time, the transmission is just stupid.

8. Jan 27, 2012 at 6:12 AM
    fructus

fructus Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '12 SR5 DC SB
    I've owned TL, Mazdaspeed 3 and S4 to name few, all with short shifters. My last experience though was '99 4Runner with URD short shifter. I must say that 2012 Tacoma box in stock form is superior to the 4Runner with URD shifter mod and exceeded my expectations. With heavy shift knob it becomes much smoother and the TRD shifter will likely to improve it even further.

9. Jan 27, 2012 at 6:31 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    No I bought my truck to tow and Toyota knows it's a truck I don't need a 5500+# pickup to tow a 3000# camper, log splitter, or flat bed trailer. Taco 20 MPG tops my VW diesel 50 MPG which one would you drive 20 miles to pick up groceries? I agree most people don't tow or go off road but they still want to be cool driving a truck for them they need an automatic but complaining because your truck does not shift like your Honda does not make much sense.

10. Jan 27, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Hard to compare to the NSX. The NSX was entirely hand-built. Just to work on the line you'd need at least 10 years experience building Honda/Acura vehicles and pass months of additional training.

As for the S2000... that AISIN gearbox (also used in the Miata) originally was spec'd for 75w90 just like ours. Honda received a bunch of complaints and back spec'd it to 75w85. It still wasn't so good so eventually they started putting their MTF-2 into it, which is a thin friction modified fluid about the viscosity of ATF. Then it shifted like a dream.

Too bad our 1GRs make too much torque to do that with our Aisin boxes. Honda MTF shears to water viscosity very fast on 4 cylinders, I can't imagine what 278 lb-ft would do.

Toyota could have at least been nice and given us an external overdrive if they're going to put in a towing box. It's not hard to electronically lock out 4WD when an overdrive is locked in. Shoot, the shortened rear driveshaft would probably have cured their vibration problems at the same time.

11. Jan 27, 2012 at 11:06 PM
    rhys

rhys Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    6-spd 4x4 sb or
    afe intake, flexalite fan, cab a/c outlet, de-chrome in progress, bedlined sides, custom head and tail lights, arb front
  12. Jan 28, 2012 at 4:46 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    You are so right if you are going to race your truck the gear ratios suck but then again if you are going to tow, go off road or haul 600# of bricks with your NSX then its gear box is going to suck. The Taco's 6th gear by the way is O/D it's .85 to 1. First gear in the truck is a granny gear for good reason it's to get loads moving after that there is not much difference in ratios even compared to the so called smooth shifting Honda's. Why did you guys buy a truck in the first place when you would rather be driving a car?

13. Jan 28, 2012 at 5:32 AM
    Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario (the metric version)
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD 4x4 6MT 1GR-FE
    If you had to pull a boat out of the water on a steep ramp you wouldn't think they were messed up ... or got stuck in traffic on a hill pulling a load. The ratios aren't ideal for "street-only" use but if you've been off-roading for a couple of hours and hit the pavement again, you'll understand the why the engineers selected the ratios they did. It's not a car.

I do hate the rev-hang though ... I really wish someone would come up with an aftermarket flash mod to tone it down a little. I'd be the first in line to buy it.

14. Jan 28, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    When you buy something that garners the "Off Road" badge its should have some sort of offroad sense in it. and should be able to handle a place where dirt roads are the norm. I'm at 50/50 on my off roading. with that said I'm swapping the tranny eventually for added power capabilities and a dog box. the transmission sucks with the wheels spinning going around a corner in the dirt and trying to shift from second to third with rev hang and trying to maintain speed in the corner. the low first gear has helped me out more than a few times in sticky situations with my 2WD and locked.

15. Jan 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    cintocrunch

cintocrunch Special Substitute Guest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport MGM 6MT
    Anytime fogs, Leer Tonneau
    The cure for rev-hang is to have a tuner that allows you to use a MAP tune...I have been on multiple car websites (especially my Si) that have this issue and that is the only solution I have seen...

16. Jan 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    Wallygater

Wallygater Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Softopper, All-pro bolt-on sliders, Tom Wood's drive shaft, Goodyear 235/85/16 Dura-trac's, SG, USA-Spec I-pod adaptor, Amsoil in everything
    I think all this comparing a truck transmission to a car transmission is stupid in my opinion. Not even close to the same vehicles (except they have seats and 4 tires), or meant to be used similarly. Comparing a truck to a car...:rolleyes:

The rev hang. I didn't touch my truck for over 11,000 miles. It started to not rev hang as much. I recently had to pull the battery terminals to work on an ipod converter. After hooking the battery back up it rev hanged like crazy. I mean really bad! Then I remembered that is how it rev hanged between shifts when brand new. The computer eventually learns how you drive and the rev hang decreases. Now mine has to learn all over again.:cool:

17. Jan 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    The truck may not be geared well for everyday use, but however cumbersome it may be, it still works. If the truck was geared like a car, then it would be very difficult/ impossible to tow 6500 lbs. The low gear ratios work for daily use and for towing...higher gear ratios will work for daily use, but not so much for towing.

18. Jan 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    xxaarraa

Member:
    You haven't driven a Frontier 6 speed. Comparing a transmission to another is in fact the opposite of stupid. If you are such a fanboy that you refuse to believe a better transmission exists and is in fact fairly common, then good for you.

19. Jan 28, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    xxaarraa

Member:
    Asking "why did you buy a truck in the first place" is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. That assumes all trucks have the same tranny faults. Go drive a Frontier 6 speed and then we can have a non-fanboish conversation.

20. Jan 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    kiteboarder

kiteboarder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    Guys, stop the pissing contest.

If you go back and read the entire thread (which I started)... I gathered 1 IMPORTANT point.. and I think we should leave it at that. It's this:

The 6-speed manual transmission is not everyone's favorite, but there are enough people that like it to prove that it's reliable and good enough for most. It's a safe bet. Done.

:thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top