1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What have you done to your Tacoma today? 1st Gen Edition

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SlimDigg, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Oct 4, 2021 at 8:01 PM
    BeLance89

BeLance89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2002 White TRD double cab
    Is the rear actuator? Was it a pain to clean up? good results? Mine is intermittent and I'm suspecting that i'll have to pull it apart and give it a good clean.

unstpible likes this.
  2. Oct 4, 2021 at 8:36 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    what package had the color matched handles then?

3. Oct 4, 2021 at 8:39 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD & '13 TRDOR AC
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    Um...

I think that was called: The Color-Keyed option. :rofl:

Came with painted flares too. I think it was only ever in silver, red, and black.

unstpible likes this.
  4. Oct 4, 2021 at 8:42 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Hm thought the limited in like 01-04 came with color matched front bumper and flares and handles. And I think I've seen a green one before..

But whatever.

5. Oct 4, 2021 at 9:10 PM
    Phessor

Phessor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    1998 TRD XTra Cab
    Stuff
    I don't even want to look at mine...

6. Oct 4, 2021 at 9:14 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Same

Phessor[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Oct 4, 2021 at 9:36 PM
    Empty_Lord

Empty_Lord Toyotaholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Northwest Indiana/Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    66 Mercedes, 93 mr2, 95,98,01,02 Tacomas, 05 Tundra + others
    Too many trucks and mods to list.. check builds
    red silver black only

8. Oct 5, 2021 at 6:12 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    Damn I thought I would be the first person to do this mod similar to the 2nd gen guys doing the fj tube swap. Did the bolts on the manual hub diff it came with not work out? Or did you source just the tube/shaft? Good to know about those bolts in case mine don't work.

Yeah that might be why I don't even see LT cv's on RCV's site for our trucks. TBH I wouldn't bump up to RCV's unless I was going to 37's and I wouldn't go to 37's unless I was LT, so either way the Tundra CV's solve the issue. And realistically if you don't have a front locker the spiders are the first to go on big tires vs CV's. At least it was for me. I get the idea of trying to keep the CV's as the fuse but blowing a locked front diff is relatively pretty damn difficult unless you are being stupid with the gas pedal.

I thought about it, but not a ton of people are into going this route I think. All I know is I don't want to break anymore stubs.

Yeah rear locker actuator. I wouldn't have dug into it if it didn't fail on me. I am not sure if it was the corrosion that did it in or the broken chunk off the back of the actuator I found jammed up in the gears.

Here's a better pic of the chunk put back in place. It looks like that chunk is there to stop deflection if the actuator arm does go all the way to the metal raised part. I plan on just filling it with jb weld and sanding it down smooth to be the same height it used to be.

[​IMG]Untitled by Michael Halat, on Flickr

BeLance89[QUOTED] and unstpible like this.
  9. Oct 5, 2021 at 7:33 AM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    Gotta love Toyota electric lockers, even after cleaning em (blast cabinet helps), make sure the magnets in the motor are affixed well (they will come off after time or a good bump) and if you re attach them make sure the poles are arranged right too. I would probably seal em up with a bit of RTV since the o rings tend to fail rather often.

10. Oct 5, 2021 at 8:12 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I learned a bunch taking it apart this time in my actual shop, unlike the first time I took mine apart in my parents front yard when I was like 25 and just got the truck, and was living in an apartment. I think I lost like half the shit. Needless to say that actuator never started working. :p

The biggest thing I learned was the trick for the brushes. I think @ToyRyd04 used zip ties for those, and I saw someone else use tooth picks, but for me alligator clips worked great to keep them in. I also learned that the main shaft actually rides on two ball bearings on either end of the shaft, and it was a miracle I didn't lose either of them. Thankfully the magnets are still firmly glued to the housing, even after beating on the damn thing with my impact screw driver to get them to open in the first place. Unfortunately on the motor side, even with how well I cleaned it up, RTV is the only solution that will seal it. I hoped to source an o ring for the main section but I might just fully RTV that too. I also said fuck it to the Toyota grease and am using Bel Ray Waterproof grease for the gears/shaft/spring and dialectric for the face of the wheel. I have used it on all my motorcycles for years and have good faith in the stuff. The only thing I need now to reassemble the motor are new M5 bolts that I am going to use socket cap screws for instead of the stupid phillps shit.

This was my take on keeping the brushes seated:

I will say though, I much much rather rely on this system than an ARB in the rear any day. The beauty of this is that if it does fail, I can still manually engage it, which I did when it failed on the trail.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  11. Oct 5, 2021 at 8:13 AM
    Speedytech7

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    Vehicle:
    I've done a mod or two
    Yeah, I'd probably go for the high strength black RTV, semi thick bead hardened for a minute in open air for good measure.

12. Oct 5, 2021 at 8:30 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I gotta go pick me up a new can of "the right stuff black" for this.

Any chance you know if this ohm reading looks good for pins 2 and 3 with the armature in place? From what I read I should be able to at least watch the shaft spin via pins 2 and 3.

Before I took the motor portion apart, I tried to bench test it like this and the motor would not spin at all. Wasn't sure if I was correct or not with the way I bench tested it, or if the 18v dc (I have a little test pack I use to test my DC shit) was too high for it to test.

unstpible likes this.
  13. Oct 5, 2021 at 8:32 AM
    Speedytech7

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    Vehicle:
    I've done a mod or two
    Seems okay to me, not sure if it is right, but doesn't seem unreasonable. I'd try to spin it up with an RC battery or something less than 12v, shouldn't take a ton of power since its driving something with lots of mechanical advantage.

14. Oct 5, 2021 at 8:50 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    True, yeah I could always tap into my MC battery too. I need to get something for simple bench testing for the future that's actually 12v.

Also I hit up the company that used to make actuator kits and they sent me this:

https://landtankproducts.com/products/e-locker-actuator-kits

ToyRyd04 and unstpible like this.
  15. Oct 5, 2021 at 8:52 AM
    Speedytech7

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    Vehicle:
    I've done a mod or two
    Yeah Rich is a good guy, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him. We talked on the phone for an hour or so about superchargers not too long ago, really smart guy.

16. Oct 5, 2021 at 9:00 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I just bought it mostly for the o ring that seals the diff and for the weird o ring that was so hard on mine I thought was metal, so I used brake cleaner on it :anonymous:

17. Oct 5, 2021 at 9:25 AM
    El Taco Diablo

El Taco Diablo Professional Pinstriper

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse Red DC, 5vz-fe, 4wd swap, LT, dual case, F/R locked
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!

The front diff I bought (for my 4wd swap) was originally ADD. When I bought the manual tube it didn't come with bolts, so I found those, and they worked like a champ.

unstpible likes this.
  18. Oct 5, 2021 at 9:28 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Gotcha and you did it for manual hubs correct? Saw that later that you are running manual hubs and not running ADD axles like I still plan to I think.

19. Oct 5, 2021 at 9:54 AM
    El Taco Diablo

El Taco Diablo Professional Pinstriper

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse Red DC, 5vz-fe, 4wd swap, LT, dual case, F/R locked
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!

Correct, I'm running manual hubs. And I switched the tube to accomplish that.

cynicalrider[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Oct 5, 2021 at 10:52 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    @cynicalrider

Back in the late Cretaceous it was standard practice to slather every joint/seam on installed e-locker actuators with some sealant, not just the motor can. Brand new trucks too. In addition a little "pocket" gets created between the top/rear of the actuator and the diff housing, this would also get coated and some folks would fill it to prevent the formation of a toxic corrosive lake.
    If any moisture enters the actuator be it a leak or condensation, the dissimilar metals, road salt and electricity can corrode things quick.
    Also of note, you may be aware of them but there are two tiny balls, like a 3/16 ball bearing. They sit at each end of the armature/worm gear shaft and serve as crude thrust bearings.
    At disassembly they typically stick to the shaft or in the shaft bore via grease. They are easily disguised or camouflaged by the grease. The first "wipe away" of the old grease can easily wipe away the balls, never to be seen again.

Speedytech7 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top