1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What have you done to your Tacoma today? 1st Gen Edition

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SlimDigg, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Jun 5, 2022 at 9:41 AM
    Arman Bagdasarov

Arman Bagdasarov armbag

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 Tacoma
    Camburg UCA, King coil overs, Fox Shox, Deaver springs, BAMF sliders & LCA Skids, Relentless Skids. Lights on lights on lights
    Love a little spiderwebs! Where’d you get those? True

2. Jun 5, 2022 at 10:44 AM
    chrslefty

chrslefty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Mesa az
    Vehicle:
    01 trd
    Stockish
    So what's the work around? I'd like to make sure I've disengaged it too. Man I'd be supper pissed if someone broke into my garage. Goodbye tools and toys!!

Sorry to hear that happened thieves are the absolute worst type of people!

[EQUOTE="turbodb, post: 27411565, member: 177696"]Yeah, problem in this case is that it was opened via a non-standard mechanism (i.e. the chain drive was disengaged) so I dunno if something like that would have triggered since the opener never thought it was open. The workaround (which I never even realized was there) has been disabled now, so fingers crossed that things are OK moving forward.

I could get a camera though that does alerts. Have used Arlo other places, and that seems pretty good...as long as the cameras themselves aren't stolen and you don't mind paying the monthly fee.

Have a camera, as well as a big sign that says "security cameras in use." Didn't deter.

And here, this kind of thing is so low priority that it wouldn't have gotten engagement anyway. They aren't going to start looking for a guy in a hoodie :), and I'm OK with that given all that the police have on their hands and have to prioritize. They have 12 officers for all of the city that are doing property crime. Yeah. 12. For a city of nearly 750K.

Edit: thanks to both of ya for the looking out and suggestions though![/QUOTE]

3. Jun 5, 2022 at 10:58 AM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    I realize I didn't post anything from my first real shakedown with this truck. So far it has been the most comfortable truck I've built, but I suppose you learn things building two others, third time's the charm eh?

[​IMG]

4. Jun 5, 2022 at 11:35 AM
    drr

drr Primary Prognosticator

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
    Those chevies riding nice and soft for ya? What do you have up front again?

Yetimetchkangmi likes this.
  5. Jun 5, 2022 at 11:40 AM
    Speedytech7

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    Vehicle:
    I've done a mod or two
    SPC uppers, SAW 2.5 coilovers with 650lb springs (which I really like), stock new lowers. I need to dial the front up a couple turns but overall I'm happy, I didn't have any discomfort on washboards or rock embedded road which is usually where I end up cringing. It rode like a cloud. The rear shocks I will have to tear down and valve stiffer, no way around that, but the springs held the load great and sat at a great height. I'm definitely sold on the Chevies. Thanks again for the measurements BTW, the tire ended up smack dab in the center of the well and when my buddy and I chucked it up on the alignment rack it had a thrust angle of .02°, I'm pretty sure that's better than stock haha.

unstpible, jubei and drr[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Jun 5, 2022 at 12:43 PM
    desert-rat

desert-rat Well-Known Member

Member:
    somewhere in Utah
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma Limited TRD SC DC
    I went with Moog LBJ's and factory LCA's and I'm happy with them. The Moog's have a zerk on them so they're greaseable. Good luck! I would not be looking forward to repeating that job again so soon.

7. Jun 5, 2022 at 12:47 PM
    desert-rat

desert-rat Well-Known Member

Member:
    somewhere in Utah
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma Limited TRD SC DC
    Nothing beats a loud big dog as a deterrent. No meth head wants to lose his hand.

8. Jun 5, 2022 at 1:01 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD & '13 TRDOR AC
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    I would have to think you hit something pretty hard to do that much bending. How are your ungusseted spindles holding up?

I just replaced a bent oem inner with a moog. :notsure:

9. Jun 5, 2022 at 1:08 PM
    Speedytech7

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    Vehicle:
    I've done a mod or two
    I've bent OEMs and 555 inners now. I'm running some Proforged ones that had what looked like decent machining and less range of motion constriction (not all of the ball/socket joints seem to have the same range of motion across manufacturers), we can see how they hold up.

10. Jun 5, 2022 at 1:27 PM
    Reh5108

Reh5108 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 2.7L Extra Cab
    OME lift, 4x sliders, Demello rear bumper, custom front bumper, Engo 9000lb winch
    The steering rack I bought from cvj a few years ago had horrible inners because they didn't have the articulation needed at droop. Didn't last one trip.

I was considering taking my tie rods out of my spare parts kit until you guys posted. Not sure how I have not bent one yet.

11. Jun 5, 2022 at 2:23 PM
    Dan8906

Dan8906 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Concord, California
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma ext cab TRD 4x4
    CBI sliders, ADS extend travel with compression adjuster coil overs, 9” Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, Icon Tubular UCA, Alcan custom leafs, All Pro Apex bumper and skids, NWTI rear diy bumper, 295/70/17 Cooper St Maxxs and nitro 4.88s.
    They still look to be fine. However I did order gussets so I will be reinforcing them soon.

unstpible likes this.
  12. Jun 5, 2022 at 9:02 PM
    El Taco Diablo

El Taco Diablo Professional Pinstriper

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse Red DC, 5vz-fe, 4wd swap, LT, dual case, F/R locked
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!
    Niagara Rim Trail clearing was a success. We worked with 4x4 In Motion and the Forest Service yesterday to clear and season open Niagara Rim Trail (purple line) as well as 5N01 (red line) and all of the trails inside the NRT triangle.

@ssd_dan, my wife, niece and 2 of my sons camped at Niagara Creek Camp and then cleared all of the trails south of 5N01 (up to NRT trailhead = Jeep Icon) today.

Screenshot 2022-06-05 203339.jpg

Brennen needed a little help getting up to Lion's Butt from the back side.

Lion's Butt

Gotta hate airing up in the rain.

The aftermath of camping in the rain:rofl:

13. Jun 5, 2022 at 9:47 PM
    chrslefty

chrslefty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Mesa az
    Vehicle:
    01 trd
    Stockish
    Finally got a chance to mostly install my alcan's. I ran into a couple of issues, I'm gonna need to raise up the ebrake cable,. I need new upper shackle bushings the u-bolts I ordered were way to big"9/16 × 3 1/4" the old OME u-bolts were 3 1/8 ish lol . I need to paint my drums as there starting to rust. And lastly I think I'm going to need a axle relocation bracket. The wheels look like there pretty far back in the wheelwell. On a high note it looks like my shocks are finally sitting correctly , well tell the springs settle anyways. 20220605_212411.jpg 20220605_212607.jpg 20220605_212258.jpg

14. Jun 5, 2022 at 11:25 PM
    roboturner

roboturner Dead Eyed

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    00 IJM AT XC 4x4 3.4L TRD | 18 CB MT DCSB 4x4 V6 Pro | 98 NW MT 4x4 3.4L SR5 4Runner
    This BS. Was terrible and a long long day. But I’m glad it’s done
    3DDA2F97-75F5-47A7-806C-1ACA26248DD6.jpg 1884B709-8396-4A0E-BA3F-0911D3EED6AD.jpg F148F17A-E868-49D9-938C-7744B8E3A1D9.jpg

unstpible, Wulf, CrustyTaco and 7 others like this.
  15. Jun 6, 2022 at 8:59 AM
    2Runner

2Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2002 Regular Cab 2.4L MT 2WD
    Installed some measly 3mm wheel spacers, for that extra 3mm!

20220605_193101.jpg

ireymon, Rastopher, JadeTRD and 9 others like this.
  16. Jun 6, 2022 at 10:00 AM
    roboturner

roboturner Dead Eyed

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    00 IJM AT XC 4x4 3.4L TRD | 18 CB MT DCSB 4x4 V6 Pro | 98 NW MT 4x4 3.4L SR5 4Runner
    Prepare your butt, it was an ass-kicker. Just did one side (driver-side) which is much harder due to dropping the gas tank and all the brake lines and electrical running across it. Took a solid 12hrs with a buddy - I'd prepare to have the Tacoma out of commish for a bit, you could do it over a weekend if you were deliberate with your time

edit: if you’re still running OEM leafs, try and remove the leaf spring main eye bolt first (don’t completely remove until on stands, just check if you can remove)

I redid my springs a month ago and when I did them I had to cut the bolt out due to cold/rust welding and time. If you’re in a similar boat you’ll have to have a plan to address the leaf springs before moving on

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  17. Jun 6, 2022 at 11:30 AM
    906-Runner

906-Runner wants to be a race car driver

Member:
    Yooper Peninsula
    Things looking fresh, I want it

2Runner[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jun 6, 2022 at 12:46 PM
    turbodb

turbodb AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    Shop Day

Lucky for me, Zane just moved into a new house with a fabulous shop, and he graciously accepted after I invited myself to visit. Excited that we might turn it into a bit of a get together, I proceeded to invite a bunch of other guys to his place as well. So, while I may have procrastinated the actual wrenching, I sure seemed to excel at inviting a bunch of dudes to Zane's place! (thanks again Zane!)

Anyway, the work I wanted to achieve was:
    • Friday - Timing Belt
    • Saturday - Clutch Replacement
    • Sunday - Rear Axle Housing Replacement
    Here are a few pics and some TL;DR of the day. More - as usual - in my build thread.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-and-adventures.484602/page-225#post-27417162

Timing Belt
    As I pulled into Zane's shop, I was blown away. Jealous, really, of all the space he had to work. Thankful too though - that he was nice enough to have me (us) over, invading his space, for a full weekend. I set about unloading and getting ready for the job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This tool is problematic for camshaft seals. I don't recommend using it. Initially, I figured I'd just keep pressing the seal in, but in an unusual twist, I took a step back and reevaluated the situation. After giving it a bit of thought, I figured I might was well try tapping the seal in the more traditional way - tapping around the circumference with a brass punch. It worked splendidly!

Clutch Replacement
    To prep for the job, I'd picked up all the necessary parts:
    • A Marlin Crawler 1,200lb Heavy Duty Clutch Kit. This kit came highly recommended by everyone I talked to, and while it is often out of stock at Marlin, I signed up for notifications when it came in stock and jumped on the kit when I got an email notification. It contains:
      • Seco clutch disc with a robust double-spring design, excellent heat and wear resistance, and circumferential grooves & nickel coated splines
      • Aisin 1,200 ft-lb heavy duty clutch cover/pressure plate with a heat treated diaphragm spring, smooth pedal pressure for those long days on the trail, and a high torque rating for a sure engagement every time.
      • A new pilot bearing
      • A new throwout/release bearing
      • A clutch disc alignment tool
    • A Marlin Crawler Heavy Duty Shifter Seat & Socket - to replace the shifter seats for the transmission and transfer case shifters, since they had to be removed anyway.
    • A new Rear Main Seal (90311-A0027) - not strictly necessary, but if the transmission is being separated from the engine anyway, now's a good time to replace the rear main engine seal.
    • A new Toyota OEM Clutch Flywheel (13405-62030) - because whenever you replace the clutch, you should resurface or replace the flywheel. Since I didn't want the hassle of resurfacing in the middle of the job on a weekend, I bought a second flywheel, and well resurface my original for the next time I have to install a clutch.
    [​IMG]
    A comparison of the old and new parts for a clutch job.

[​IMG]
    You know, just your standard, 40" long extension.

[​IMG]
    Forty-five minutes instead of fifteen, but hey, I've got plenty of experience for next time.

Rear Axle Housing Replacement (...or not)
    Well, Sunday morning rolled around a lot like Saturday - but with one major difference: we're all getting older. That of course means that we were sore from rolling around under the truck for 10 hours the previous day, and that none of us were all that keen to do it again.

So, we didn't! :rofl:

There's more fun to the story, if you're interested, in my build thread. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-and-adventures.484602/page-225#post-27417162

19. Jun 6, 2022 at 2:53 PM
    dweikum

dweikum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    Oakland CA
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD V6 5spd SR5 TURD
    I repaired my old shitty headrests today...

The foam in my headrests were blown out, the cross bar was riding at the top of the cloth/vinyl cover. So I figured, may as well take them apart and see if I can fix them...Too cheap to buy replacements.

The cover is retained by a two-piece plastic gimping thing that snaps together. Easy to remove this and then squish the foam to remove the cover all together.

[​IMG]

Then I could see how the foam was damaged and move the bar back inside and prepare the foam for bonding.

[​IMG]
    I laid out a plastic trash bag and donned some latex gloves in preparation to glue it back together.

I used 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive because that’s what we had at work, opened up the tear and sprayed liberally. Allow to dry and become tacky then press the pieces together, and replace any pieces that have become detached.

Then I cut the plastic bag so it would fit around the foam and ease reassembly of the covers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Worked like a champ!

Once covers are on, simply reattach the gimping and snap in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not exactly good as new, but way better than they were this morning. And the price was right!

[​IMG]

Hope this helps someone.

20. Jun 7, 2022 at 9:06 AM
    Jakuku Pahwheenis

Jakuku Pahwheenis i provide useless forum contributions

Member:
    First Name:
    J Phoenix
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 Xtracab 2.7L 3RZ-FE 4x4 manual 245K+ miles
    Thinking about putting corroseal on my exhaust manifold. Tell me why I shouldn't.

Products Discussed in

To Top