1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What have you done to your Tacoma today? 1st Gen Edition

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SlimDigg, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Jul 8, 2020 at 2:58 PM
    Dan8906

Dan8906 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Concord, California
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma ext cab TRD 4x4
    CBI sliders, ADS extend travel with compression adjuster coil overs, 9” Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, Icon Tubular UCA, Alcan custom leafs, All Pro Apex bumper and skids, NWTI rear diy bumper, 295/70/17 Cooper St Maxxs and nitro 4.88s.
    I’d love to get my tears outside of the frame, but I know it’s tough on our trucks

2. Jul 8, 2020 at 2:58 PM
    CrustyTaco

CrustyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    04 Ext Cab V6 5MT 4X4 173k
    881/5100/Dakars 4R wheels / TBU / New frame
    They are OEM bushings, my dealer wouldn't install anything aftermarket during the frame swap. I asked too, because I got new cab mount bushings as well and the OEM ones were way more expensive than aftermarket. I'll probably roll the dice and hope the OEM bushings hold up. Really don't want to make this job any more painful than it is already.

3. Jul 8, 2020 at 3:17 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
  4. Jul 8, 2020 at 3:21 PM
    betterbuckleup

betterbuckleup Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SC 2.7 4x4 5spd
    Dan8906 and BlackSportD[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Jul 8, 2020 at 3:26 PM
    Shortman5

Shortman5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TRD
    TRD S/C, ADS coilovers.
    So, Accutune off-road has great resources for all of this. But keep in mind they’re mostly talking about fully custom shocks for long travel. So it’s related to us but our OEM setups can’t do everything with the limited travel you can do with a longer struts so you kind of have to take ignore some of it. This is why I mentioned I use a sway bar.

All of these shocks are similar in the way they’re rebuilt and internally. The differences are pretty subtle and you it’s mostly in the piston shape that determines the curve. I don’t think it would be an issue to revalue any shock to give it the characteristics you’re looking for. But you’re probably not going to get much factory support swapping pistons around.

I may be off but I’m pretty sure that you just a adding more weight offset the spring weight enough to more accurately “tune” those springs for your liking. I, personally, want to run the lightest spring then tune the shock via shim stack and sway bars. But that’s just me. I don’t have a whole lot of experience really.

Good to hear about the updates. I may have to call ADS and ask them to send me all the updated intervals when I rebuild. It’s probably time for at least new oil and o-rings.

cruiserguy likes this.
  6. Jul 8, 2020 at 3:27 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    Find yourself adjusting from time to time? For me with CDC, I go soft for street driving, stay that way for slow fire road stuff (Icon's slow speed stiffness- when its time for rebuild I think I'm doing the "slow speed stack" people talk about to make that softer) full stiff for high-speed off-road.

Why you gotta live so far away? I'm soooooo curious about these shocks lol

7. Jul 8, 2020 at 3:29 PM
    ToyotaDriver

ToyotaDriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    ‘04 V6 5 Speed SR5 TRD downward spiraling project, ‘15 V6 6speed TRD daily
    The 1st Gen: All pro 3” lift (650 lbs coils, expedition rears with bilstiens),Timbren rear bumpstops, ubolt flip, diff drop, carrier bearing drop, 33’s on beadlocks ,ARB Bumper, winch, hand throttle, ARE canopy, roof bars, poly bushings all around minus the body mounts. The 2nd Gen: Leveling kit, roll up tonneau cover. 265/75/16’s
    The Polly bushings are a very quick job on that steering rack. If you have it unbolted, I bet it takes you an extra 10-15 minutes to swap them

Digiratus likes this.
  8. Jul 8, 2020 at 3:31 PM
    betterbuckleup

betterbuckleup Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SC 2.7 4x4 5spd
    Initially I did, and every now and then I do. But I leave them where they are for the most part. A bit tighter on the high speed comp and I think like 1 or 2 clicks tighter on the low speed. I swapped from the OEM 600lb springs to 650 and that helped a lot with the weight I have on the front end and not diving so much. Helped with sway at high speeds a lot too
    When I eventually do a rear shock relocate, I'll be going with the same DSC reservoir smoothie shocks for the rear. Tuned from Accutune as well.

Haha make a trip out and we'll go for a rip!

BlackSportD[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jul 8, 2020 at 3:32 PM
    Shortman5

Shortman5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TRD
    TRD S/C, ADS coilovers.
    Yeah if I could do it again I’d go that route. I’m not really interested in playing with In depth tuning anymore so something simple to dial it in would be nice.

I would like to see how slow/fast damping would effect everything. It would probably be a great way to get to Understand what it all means and really feel the changes. Right now just reading a tutorial and Then driving around trying to feel what was described does not translate like you think it would.

BlackSportD[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jul 8, 2020 at 3:50 PM
    Dan8906

Dan8906 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Concord, California
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma ext cab TRD 4x4
    CBI sliders, ADS extend travel with compression adjuster coil overs, 9” Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, Icon Tubular UCA, Alcan custom leafs, All Pro Apex bumper and skids, NWTI rear diy bumper, 295/70/17 Cooper St Maxxs and nitro 4.88s.
    I need to get some 650 springs, well I’ll wait to get different coilovers, but I put 700s on my icons and they are a bit tooo stuff.

11. Jul 8, 2020 at 3:50 PM
    Rldanie

Rldanie Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 Supercharged, 2” pulley, FIC, Methanol, Transgo Shift Kit
    Engine Performance upgrades: Supercharged (Magnuson) FIC/6 Champion Radiator Toyota Corolla thermostat 168° JBA Headers JBA cat back exhaust Upgraded fuel pump Volant Cold Air Intake With custom plexiglass cover TransGo Transmission A340F Valve Body upgrade B&M Transmission cooler Methanol Injection 2 inch pulley Future Plans Supra Injectors Light weight crankshaft pulley Leather seats Off-road upgrades 3” rough country lift 33x12.5” Dick Cepeks Other upgrades: JL Audio 12W6 Sub in custom box JL Audio C5 Mids and tweets all the way around Sound dampened whole cab Transmission temp sensor Gen Tex rear view mirror (temp and compass) Blue instrument panel, a/c control panel lights, shifter, ashtray, glove box. Blacked out badges Blackout bumpers and grill MariMoto Projectors with demon eyes LED Taillights Second generation leather steering wheel with audio controls Custom leather wrapped automatic transmission shifter 3rd gen 4 Runner key ring light (blue) 3rd gen 4 Runner hood scoop
    I’m sure someone else already has this

it look like I mounted it correctly?

image.jpg
    image.jpg

vonellis, SwampYota and Fernando like this.
  12. Jul 8, 2020 at 4:00 PM
    Fernando

Fernando Hammerdown

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build
    Take my money

Got a link?

Ace115 and Dan8906 like this.
  13. Jul 8, 2020 at 4:01 PM
    Rldanie

Rldanie Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Engine Performance upgrades: Supercharged (Magnuson) FIC/6 Champion Radiator Toyota Corolla thermostat 168° JBA Headers JBA cat back exhaust Upgraded fuel pump Volant Cold Air Intake With custom plexiglass cover TransGo Transmission A340F Valve Body upgrade B&M Transmission cooler Methanol Injection 2 inch pulley Future Plans Supra Injectors Light weight crankshaft pulley Leather seats Off-road upgrades 3” rough country lift 33x12.5” Dick Cepeks Other upgrades: JL Audio 12W6 Sub in custom box JL Audio C5 Mids and tweets all the way around Sound dampened whole cab Transmission temp sensor Gen Tex rear view mirror (temp and compass) Blue instrument panel, a/c control panel lights, shifter, ashtray, glove box. Blacked out badges Blackout bumpers and grill MariMoto Projectors with demon eyes LED Taillights Second generation leather steering wheel with audio controls Custom leather wrapped automatic transmission shifter 3rd gen 4 Runner key ring light (blue) 3rd gen 4 Runner hood scoop
  14. Jul 8, 2020 at 4:03 PM
    Fernando

Fernando Hammerdown

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build
    Thanks bud. Damn 40 bucks for something that wont be functional....hmmm

I cut all my antenna stuff off one day after many beers and tequila. Lol

15. Jul 8, 2020 at 4:04 PM
    Fernando

Fernando Hammerdown

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build
    Fuck it, why not. Lol. Looks pretty dope

BeLance89 and Rldanie like this.
  16. Jul 8, 2020 at 4:04 PM
    Rldanie

Rldanie Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    it’s made out of good quality material

Fernando[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jul 8, 2020 at 4:17 PM
    Phessor

Phessor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    1998 TRD XTra Cab
    Stuff
    Both seats are in and oh so much more comfortable.
    Wired up the power to the drivers seat and adjusted it.
    I still need to figure out where to mount the heater switches and wire them in.

18. Jul 8, 2020 at 4:17 PM
    Ace115

Ace115 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    '03 DBL CAB 4X4
    Very envious!!

Phessor[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jul 8, 2020 at 4:44 PM
    osterhagen

osterhagen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafe
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 DC v6, MTM, 4x4
    "Totally Stock"
    Same!

Phessor likes this.
  20. Jul 8, 2020 at 5:06 PM
    ToyotaDriver

ToyotaDriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    ‘04 V6 5 Speed SR5 TRD downward spiraling project, ‘15 V6 6speed TRD daily
    The 1st Gen: All pro 3” lift (650 lbs coils, expedition rears with bilstiens),Timbren rear bumpstops, ubolt flip, diff drop, carrier bearing drop, 33’s on beadlocks ,ARB Bumper, winch, hand throttle, ARE canopy, roof bars, poly bushings all around minus the body mounts. The 2nd Gen: Leveling kit, roll up tonneau cover. 265/75/16’s
    I’ve owned a few Subaru’s and never thought their seats were very comfortable! What year forester? I might have to find me a set

Products Discussed in

To Top