1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What hitch mount bike rack???

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Fire931, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Mar 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    Misfit

Misfit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR 2.7L 4x4 5MT
    OP - I have the Quick-Rack from 1UP USA which is a company based in WI. The racks are CNC'd aluminum and Made in the USA. This rack fits all of your requirements except one(Price), but I think you should at least be aware of it. I have had mine for 3yrs and it still works great. The company even sends me updated parts when they tweak the design. Not to mention it breaks down into a box that will easily store anywhere.

One Bike-
    [​IMG]
    One Bike W/Add-On for a second bike -
    [​IMG]

** Not My pictures

2. Apr 27, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    cdnmtbkr

cdnmtbkr Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Kamloops, BC
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco TRD 4x4 (US model)
    Deck-plate Mod, rear window latch pin replaced, Airaid MIT, Magnaflow Cat-Back (#15811)
  3. Feb 27, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    Sorry to revive an older thread but figured it is better than having another one.

I currently have a SportRack that carries up to 4 bikes. Had it for 4 years, but with continious use, the two metal top plates are in rough shape. They are bending under stress. I guess metal fatigue. Last time out I almost lost my bike on the highway :eek:. Replacement top plate costs $60 each, I would need two, so I think it is time for a new bike rack.

This is what I have now: Sportrack Hitch n Drive A30604.
    http://www.sportrack.com/a30604/

This particular Sportrack is not the best design by any means, beeing only one bar and with many different frame styles and frame tubes shapes it is not easy to have bikes secure.

• I already have a locking hitch pin I would like to reuse. I know it won't fit some of the Thule racks.
    • Right now I use a padlock through the top plate, so I will need a way to lock my bikes to the rack.
    • I think I like the double bar racks for better stability such as Yakima BigHorn or DoubleDown
    • I don't like that all these new racks I found these days tilt for easier access and to do that they usually use a pin that can be removed and the rest of the rack stolen with bikes still on it.
    Is there a sturdy, secure and reasonably priced 4 or 5 bike rack available these days? Prefer one that does not tilt and has two bars on top. I would consider a tray style hitch rack if it meets the criteria, but those seem to be out of my budget...:(

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top