1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is it worth?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ji63, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Mar 9, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    ji63

ji63 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    95 tacoma 4x4 ext. cab
    !995 Tacoma ext. cab, not trd with 3.4 and automatic tranny. It needs grill and front bumper and it is scratched from one end to the other. (they will not buff out) Truck shows 220000 miles but has 40000 on new motor. 4wd works and has manual hubs. I know you can't see it but just a ballpark guess, he wants 4000.00 for it. It also has new Hancook at 31 -10.50 tires.

2. Mar 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    Stew

Stew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stew
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 04 Single Cab 2.7 4x4
    2.5in ^, debadged, fog light mod, deck plate, line-x, tool box
    nada, edmunds or kbb see what they say and theres your ballpark, prob on the low end of the range they show with how you describe it. 220,000 is still a high number for the trans since it apparently wasn't changed and that is the weaker drive train component compared to the motor esp. since its the auto from that year (I have an auto 04 but the manual was the better trans of the two). To me 4,000 sounds a little high, granted they are great trucks and you can beat them sounds like yours is in the "hunting truck/beater" condition. Make sure to check everywhere the components join together for signs of broken seals/gaskets. If they look good it may be a good truck for many miles to come, then again it may have no fluids to leak! Try searchin for 1 gen buyers guide see if that helps

3. Mar 10, 2012 at 3:12 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Also search your local craigslist to see what Tacomas in your area are generally trying to be sold at. Keep in mind that just because they list it at a price does not mean that is what they are getting. Will give a feel for general area compared to kbb etc. They are supposed to be regional, but I found for my area many were listed at more than kbb.

Get verification of what "new motor" means. New used 100k motor swapped in, actual rebuild done by a shop or what. If no receipts, no proof, then don't even count it in the worth of the truck. Figure on those miles, you are probably going to have to do some suspension work, maybe brakes, ujoints maybe and if no proof on the engine work then when was the last time the timing belt and waterpump was replaced? Local dealer to me wants $650 or so for this job.

In other words, find out what proven (has paperwork) maintenance has been done. Check the tyres for unusual wear. Maybe they slapped on some tyres because they did not want to have to deal with worn struts, springs, ball joints etc. Have a look at the struts and shocks, have they been replaced or are the 200k factory ones still in there. At Rock Auto pricing the complete struts with springs are $120 each plus ship.

I'd give it really good looking over if you are serious on it. If you are unsure on what to look for see if there is a local club or perhaps a friend who is really up on mechanicals come look at it with you.

You can also see if you can take it to the dealer to have it checked out. Local dealer had a free coupon for this not long ago, but I have had a car we bought checked out by them for around $100-150. Don't remember the exact figure, but good to get a list of things it needs as a bargaining tool. You just have to handle it correctly and not come on strong and put the seller on the defensive when negotiating using the list.

Comes down to what you are comfortable paying. For me, if no proof on what the new engine was, maintenance proof, general mechanicals look in need of work, things like air filter dirty, battery old (they have date codes on them), belts and hoses need replacing, leaks, etc.etc. Then I'd be tactful, but I'd be negotiating off that price.

Often when I make an offer I have an idea of what I want to pay and have that money already separated in my pocket. When the offer is made I take the cash out and hold it in my hand when the offer is made so the seller sees it. Amazing how often the sight of the actual money gets the seller really flexible on the price.

Oh, and really look over the wiring on the truck. Look for hacked up wires and rigged accessory add ons done poorly.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

4. Mar 10, 2012 at 6:07 AM
    ji63

ji63 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    95 tacoma 4x4 ext. cab
    Thanks guys. He drives it every day but I will check it out before I buy. He says he has paperwork on engine. Toyota 4x4s ususally run around 2000.00 more than KBB and NADA around here in good condition. I am still looking as he is still looking for a truck to replace it with.

Products Discussed in

To Top