1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

what is over drive even for!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 2002macdonald, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:30 AM
    HammerHead

HammerHead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD OffRoad PreRunner SR5 DC
    I think thats what these forums are for, because some people don't. Maybe you're just smarter than all of us (or some of us), in which case you should probably find some forums that are up to your level of internet intelligence.

You unfortunately found the Entrance...lets see if you are clever enough to find the Exit.

Good luck lil' dude....doing great job making friends thus far!

2. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    Wild Card

Wild Card Truck yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Portland, MI
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD SR5 4x4 V6 Xtra Cab 5spd
    6" Deckplate. Trimmed TB gasket. Grey wire. Disable DRL's.
    Not trying to make friends. I just call it like I see it. Also, it's experience, not intelligence.

You'll notice that I actually gave out some helpful info in my post, it was just sandwiched in between the anger. The reason for the smart-Alec comment was simple: a few other people had already explained the overdrive feature, and yet people kept asking for info that was already posted.

1st gen Toyota Tacomas have a 4-speed auto transmission or a 5 speed manual. The 4 speed uses the 4th year as overdrive, with an additional torque converter shutoff happening around 47mph. This is all to save gasoline while cruising at higher speeds.

If a load is being towed, or the area has steep grades, AND you're going at speeds above 40mph, it would be beneficial to turn OD off, as it really will strain and overheat your transmission in a hurry. Otherwise, leave it on. It will do nothing but save you money.

Furthermore, OD has absolutely no effect on your "around town" driving. Your truck is going too slow to shift into that 4th OD gear.

See? I'm not sooo bad.

3. Feb 23, 2012 at 8:17 AM
    HammerHead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Yea, not sooo bad when you drop the anger. :D Keep it up! The nice thing about threads that make you angry (and trust me, there are a few on here that do), is that you can ignore them. Its why I like the 'pull' aspect of forums.

4. Feb 23, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Did you really not read anything previously posted? It makes zero difference weather it is on or off while driving below highway speeds. There is no point to shutting it on and off, so just leave it on like every other normal person does. Seriously why do people even post answers when they don't even know what they are talkng about

5. Feb 23, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    Wild Card

Wild Card Truck yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Portland, MI
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD SR5 4x4 V6 Xtra Cab 5spd
    6" Deckplate. Trimmed TB gasket. Grey wire. Disable DRL's.
    Alright, fine. Sorry for being a jerk. It's a self-control thing, methinks. I'll try to ignore the junk from now on. But, I think we've about wrapped this thread up with the answers.

6. Feb 23, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    CBR1000RR

CBR1000RR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD DoubleCab
    Toytec ultimate lift kit
    God I hope so. Hopefully the OP has a better understanding of what OD is used for.

7. Feb 23, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    HammerHead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Well, I pressed the OD button while out to lunch and I didn't see a fucking rocket, nor Vin Diesel with NOS, nor Andriette with a supercharger. So you guys have no idea what y'all are talking about ffs...

8. Feb 24, 2012 at 12:34 AM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    You don't think that two prolonged periods of operation, one at 2.5k rpm and the other at 4k rpm, would lead to the premature wear of mechanical components inside the engine running at the higher RPM, when compared to the other? The bearings, gaskets, cylinder, etc?

9. Feb 24, 2012 at 12:40 AM
    lil J

lil J Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacen
    Louisville
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4wd V6 Horizon Blue
    Old Man Emu Suspension

I disagree that's why I posted what I posted, do some research and you'll see who's right and who's wrong. To each his own.

10. Feb 24, 2012 at 12:40 AM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    :rofl: I'm fucking laughing my ass off right now

11. Feb 24, 2012 at 3:05 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Pretty sure the OD in auto is done with splitting the ratio for final drive ratio at the tail shaft (output) within the planetary gears (which ride on shafts) that revolve around the "sun" gear on the main shaft, those with ECT button , this changes the shift points (rpm's point of gear change)

I use OD on freeway, or long straight highways, never for 4wd on trails tho'

12. Feb 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    i just read your pointless pm. All 1st gens have OD, and you even said in your email od is the 4th gear, which you dont reach driving in the city. so what is there to disagree about. might as well keep it on when driving around normally as it has no effect either way untill you hit highway speeds. wanna link me this "research" that proves you right?

13. Feb 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Only time I turned overdrive off was on long hills in Vermont when I had a loaded trailer. With it on, it hunted in and out of 3rd/4th gear. Seemed better for it to just stay at a constant RPM till the top of the hill.

Sometimes on downhills I switched it off to engine brake and help the brakes. But just to experiment when I was bored.

14. Feb 25, 2012 at 1:27 AM
    lil J

lil J Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacen
    Louisville
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Emu Suspension
    If overdrive is meant to be left on why did the engineers at toyota put an on/off switch on it, but I guess you're smarter than them

15. Feb 25, 2012 at 1:37 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Doesn't matter.

Unless you're getting up over 45, the OD isn't even coming into play.
    Depending on the trans (not sure on the Toyotas) the TCC may still lock up in the lower gears when acceleration load is light.
    Once you start getting into the speed/load ranges where the OD comes into play, you WANT the OD to work.

You want to manually disable OD under the following two conditions:
    Towing or heavily loaded (refer to owner's manual, not applicable to all transmissions)
    Climbing steep hills, or undulating roadway where the transmission is constantly "hunting" between the top two gears, seemingly never happy with either. In that case, locking the top gear out will save wear on the clutch packs and reduce trans temperatures.

16. Feb 25, 2012 at 1:43 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Because there are SOME situations where it is better to have it shut off.

For most daily driving, leaving it "on" is perfectly acceptable.
    That's why it's called an "automatic transmission"

Your radio and headlights have on/off switches as well. That doesn't mean you need to operate those switches every time you get in the driver's seat.

17. Feb 25, 2012 at 1:45 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    Almost every car with overdrive has some way of turning it off. Usually it is there to allow you control. As one person said it helped them while towing because the transmission kept changing gears. Another use is for downhill speed control. Turn the OD off and it will downshift (like a manual) and help control your speed while going downhill. This helps with wear and tear on brakes, and again with towing.

18. Feb 25, 2012 at 1:53 AM
    lil J

lil J Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacen
    Louisville
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Emu Suspension
    all of these replies just take me back to my origianl point. You only need overdrive when going highway speeds

19. Feb 25, 2012 at 2:17 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    And there is no reason to turn it off when not going highway speeds.

Let the transmission decide unless it is having trouble "making up it's mind"

20. Feb 25, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    i understand you dont have many mountains to climb in louisville, but i live in a state with mountains, and when climbing them it is very strenuous to have the engine hunt for gears, so turning it off is necessary. However unless you are in a specific situation where the truck is hunting for gears like climbing hills or under a heavy load then there is NO REASON TO SHUT IT OFF. If you read the special book called the owners manual it will tell you exactly what i and everyone else is saying.
    which means this V

Products Discussed in

To Top