1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is snow?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hedg21, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Aug 26, 2009 at 3:21 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
  2. Aug 26, 2009 at 3:44 PM
    jayranger

jayranger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OffRoad
    You will have plenty of of LARGE parking lots to practice in Fort Drum. Plus you will have PLENTY of snow to practice in too. I was born in Upstate NY and stationed in Ft Drum for 5 years. Get some sand bags and remember to brake earlier then you think you need to always and you will be fine. Most, not all, people up there can drive in the snow and the ones that don't know how to will be in the the snowbanks or the ditch early anyhow. You will see more snow up there then you will ever want to see in your life and then some. You will go to sleep and wake up with 1' to 2' on some nights. You are stuck ina lake effect snow band up ther outside of Watertown so you will be a pro once your tour is over in Ft Drum. Enjoy your time in Ft Drum and tell the Water Buffaloes I said Hi ;) .............. You will see what I mean when you get up there!

3. Aug 26, 2009 at 3:46 PM
    jayranger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OffRoad

I just saw this quote and he is right. Learn to drive 2wd first then use 4wd for traction purposes only. 4wd only makes you go faster it never stops you faster! I wish most of the people down her ein NC figured that out...

4. Aug 26, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    You could sipe your tires or get a new set of winter tires. look for an AT tire or even an ASR , but with the mtn. and snowflake(means its suitable to replace studded tires in many states) on them (tire rack has em by a survey and catagory), examples are goodyear silent armor or new dura(something) , i think some B.F.G. At have them too and some michelins. If your tire says M+S it might not really be good enough, seen lots of em on lots of different vehicles fall short when the snow gets packed or turns to ice( my stock dunlop grendtrek 20s M+S). Try your current set first and maybe buy a good set of cable chains, it would be about $40-60 and $500+ cheaper than tires.( see my short writeup on my new winter tires in the tire forum if you want.)
    If you are curious , i do snow and ice in Portland, i work for the city and we have an actual snow zone, plus i love to ski. Everything goes off the road with all the traction controls w/o traction.
    Tactics:
    1 Slow down
    2 air down to say 29psi( see the door for tire psi)
    3 remember on pavement you go say 0-60 in say 7 seconds 60-0 in 4....
    not the same on snow the brakes will not slow you if you have no traction
    4 no traction means no traction control so you just keep rolling w/o braking
    5 that also means abs wont stop you, you just sorta keep rolling
    6 Get traction! Chains, or the extreme weather rated mtn, and snow flake

whew , sorry for the long post

5. Aug 26, 2009 at 4:43 PM
    M2M

M2M Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    bilstiens, sport 08 w/o scoop, debadged
    no death grip on the wheel for god's sake - two fingers only !

6. Aug 26, 2009 at 4:47 PM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
    I like to manually shift an auto to hold a gear to take advantage of engine braking before I touch the brakes.

7. Aug 26, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    oh yea, don't use the locker on the road driving(if it even works over 15mph)! Use it to get out of a jam. My base reg. doesn't have one,woulndt mind getting one though.

8. Aug 26, 2009 at 4:59 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Ft Drum in good ol Watertown, NY Home of the 10th Mountain Division :woot:
    One of the things I liked being stationed there was it was a straight shot on Rt 11 across upstate NY to my home in Vermont.
    The trees kinda all point towards the east from the winds that come off Lake Ontario & the lake effect snow....is amazing.
    oh and the ice storms are fun too. :D

Pick up some winter blades when you get up here & it might not be a bad idea to get your undercarriage rustproofed now before you get up here. The salt is gonna look like this
    [​IMG]

9. Aug 26, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    ouch salt. We dont do that in our state luckily. When i went through salted roads in other states would wash the undercarraige at a car wash.

10. Aug 26, 2009 at 5:14 PM
    Simon's Mom

Member:
    First Name:
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    Stock for now
    yes I try during the salt season to visit the self serve car washes as much as I can. Even with that this is what it looks like after 2 seasons.
    No wonder you can't find a 96-2002 tacoma around here.

11. Aug 26, 2009 at 5:20 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    Good reminder of how lucky we are not to use salt here. We talk about the convenience of it in use, but no one thinks about that rust you showed me.

12. Aug 26, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    winterwasher fluid also helps and get a ice scraper

13. Aug 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    I gotta thread jack for a moment because i love this story.
    I was driving I-84 around milepost 32(gets snow) back in 96 I think. I was passing a f-250 but the road had gouges in the snow(truck chains spinning I believe, no sure). I'm going about 25 mph and was bouncing as a lot ,even with a seat belt, say 5 mph too fast. As we were about even , a suuburu went to pass between us, it's a 2 lane road, so we pass a surprised look between me and the f-250. The suburu driver looked all smug like were impressed, (we werent). All of the sudden we go shooting by him ,WOW he sure stopped fast...why!!! In the passenger side mirror he is dead in the water and... his front tie rod had broke off!! :eek: :laugh: :smack:

14. Aug 26, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    saskcan

saskcan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    2010 sport 6spd
    some accessories
    i dont have any advice about mods etc except a block heater is a must if your taco doesnt have it, and winter tires are a huge bonus.

But i wanna make a few points based on my experience.

Always be extra careful during the first few snow falls... always tends to have more accidents because people are still adapting to winter driving and usually warmer so the snow turns into ice. (and during this time leave for work super early to avoid rush hour because everythign will be a big mess and you will be like 3 hours late otherwise).

usually winter driving is pretty good except reduced visibility during heavy snowfall. When temperatures are on the warmer side be extra careful. Intersections, stop signs, etc... are the worst (lots of ice build up from vehicles stopping (friction). So drive slow and when approaching a red light slow down well before u would if it were summer. And dont forget your taco might handle the ice just fine but some other vehicles wont. So keep an eye on vehicles at intersections, stop signs, so you dont get rear ended or other vehicles skidding through intersections!!!!!!!!!!!! this is a must to avoid smashing up your taco.

I use a outdoor timer thingy so when i plug my vehicle in at nightime the timer energizes my block heater at around 3:30 AM. Will cost you about $25 but will save lots of coin from your electricity bill.

Safe travels
    From Canada!!!!!!

15. Aug 26, 2009 at 8:16 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    I love TITS! :D

16. Aug 26, 2009 at 8:25 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Be prepared for the first time your ABS kicks in if you have not already experienced it.There will be a loud buzz or whirr from under your dash and it will seem like the truck is sliding out of control.I found that the Tacoma's ABS is very sensitive and the first time it engaged,it scared the Poop out of me.

17. Aug 26, 2009 at 8:49 PM
    red06toy

red06toy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Worcester MA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse red OR, 2.5 lift
    2.5 toytec, bilstein 5100 black grille, black lights, partially shaved decals remaning ones black, , trd fj wheels, sirius, Ipod interface, pre-filter delete
    i have a backpack i keep in the truck year round it has a good firstaid kit maps and maglite and swiss army knife. In the winter I put 2 wool hats, gloves and a thermal shirt. I also have a liter of wind shield wiper fluid in there (a must for highway driving). I have my tools in there too and of course an extendable scraper/brush, needed for a lifted truck. I do snow blowing and plowing so we run into the deepest snow and plow berms before anything has been done. The lift and tires have gotten me out of three bad situations, where if it was stock id have been hung up and had to dig. In stock form the trucks are very capable in the snow and fun. With the mods I can go in the deeper snow and not worry as much.
    heres some snow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Aug 26, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Me too!:woot:

19. Aug 27, 2009 at 3:46 AM
    jayranger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OffRoad
    FYI although it IS the 10th Mountain Division.... there are NO mountains around really. Its all pretty flat around there. So do not think Colorado think more like rolling hills. Only people I had ever seen around there with Snow tires were people without 4wd. Get a good set of AT's,I never had a problem with my YJ there and I had friends with Blazers, Toyos P'ups, Fords, Dodge, Chevy P'ups and Cherokees and not one of them ever had a problem in snow with weight in the back of the truck. Just be careful not to high center the truck .... Trust me there is enough snow out there to do it too! Slow and cautious of what you and others are doing or might do and you will be fine. Always carry a "Crap I got stuck" back pack with you and you will be fine ( Sleeping bag or emergency blankets, couple water bottles, peanutbutter crackers, emergency fire starter, i.e lighter and a fire log or 2) Nowadays you have cell phones all over the place so really you can call a friend and they come get you right away back when I was out there, early 90's, you had to wait for someone to drive by.

20. Aug 27, 2009 at 9:35 AM
    Simon's Mom

Member:
    First Name:
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    Stock for now
    I was there in the early 90s too, ice storm so bad it closed the post for a week because the civilians couldn't get to work. Nobody was driving anywhere.

Products Discussed in

To Top