1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is the best bark collar for my boxer?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by csuviper, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Jan 6, 2016 at 1:33 PM
    csuviper

csuviper [OP] Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior 5.7L 4x4
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    I am wondering what brand/type/style bark collars you guys have used that work and which i should stay away from????

I have two female boxers. One is 85lbs (Chesca) the other is 55lbs (Bella). Chesca barks alot at people walking by, neighbors or dogs in the yard next door and the worst...squirrels. Its all throughout the day. Figure a bark collar would help not get fined. Have been warned in my old house and my current house already. They got annoying when i was home alot during Christmas/New Years break. I can see why the neighbors are annoyed.

Only want to add one on Chesca as most comes from her.

Here are a few i am considering that have decent reviews on Amazon.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A374OG8SD992XR

[​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A2S3KV1SSR92V3

[​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=A19A5F79ULM19T

2. Jan 9, 2016 at 6:01 AM
    Juforrest

Juforrest Dumb!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Reformed Taco driver in a GX460
    I have used citronella spray collars with some success. The most successful was a empty plastic water bottle with a few pennies in it. When they would bark I would shake it or throw it towards them and it distracts/scares them enough to stop it. Just remember either way it's all about consistency and exercise.

3. Jan 9, 2016 at 6:14 AM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    My little dogs bark at car doors closing on my street. I used to think there was nothing I could do about it. I have learned that just a squirt bottle of water does the job. A couple squirts and the dogs give me a puzzled look and stop barking. Empty water bottle crushing crinkling sounds works from there.

4. Jan 9, 2016 at 6:27 AM
    Dogdad

Dogdad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Metairie,Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2015 Pyrite Mica Double Cab
    None...just train your dog...

5. Jun 16, 2016 at 8:42 AM
    mreen428

mreen428 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shmatty
    Queens, NY
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB TRD Spt
    I adopted an 80lb husky/shepherd and he gets pretty wacky when we go to the beach. This collar is great (garmin delta sport). I never shock him but only use the tone and he knows to come back to me. The bark limiter really works too. He doesn't even mind wearing it. He gets excited because he knows it's beach time. Definitely worth the money.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin-...GARMIN-DELTA&gclid=CKGjnOLwrM0CFZeEaQodhfMF1A

6. Jun 16, 2016 at 8:47 AM
    Launch21v

Launch21v Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD sport dclb 4x4 tech pack w/jbl white
    How old is your boxer? I've had 4 of them. They don't settle down until they get around 10 years old

7. Jun 22, 2016 at 6:30 PM
    csuviper

csuviper [OP] Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior 5.7L 4x4
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    Two females. Both 6yo. They bark at everything. Squirms, neighbor dogs, watching out the front window at anyone that passes by. They are great dogs. Snuggle buddies. Listen pretty good. Just bark until you say something. When gone for the day I'm sure they are barking alot.

8. Jun 22, 2016 at 6:47 PM
    Launch21v

Launch21v Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD sport dclb 4x4 tech pack w/jbl white
    I had a bark collar on my female but the other two chewed it off of her. The only thing I found that helped was taking away the distractions. Blocking where they could no longer see the people walking down the street and giving them different toys. They tended to get bored easily with the same toys out. So rotating then helped. They are very smart dogs and they get seperation anxiety when you're away. Good luck.

9. Jun 22, 2016 at 7:04 PM
    imom

imom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CAL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Regular Cab
    Do you walk your dogs often? Boxers are high energy dogs....they are very playful and requires some discipline (and I don't mean to hit or hurt your dog). It's a lot of work, but walking your dog often especially before and after work usually keeps them tired where they will sleep during the day and training and setting boundaries of what you want and don't want. It's a lot easier said than done. I learned a lot from watching from the dog whisperer shows... Dogs are still dogs can and will bark. It sounds like your dog Chesca needs a lot of walking and training. Try a doggie back pack loaded with some water bottles to add some minor weight so they go into work mode instead of this state of high energy that's pent up and taking it out on anything that moves. It's only a guess at this point since I don't know your dogs and never seen them in action...so just from what I'm reading.

I'm not familiar with these shock collars but do think this is the best method of teaching your dog good habits? I'm going to exaggerate and say every time your dog barks...you beat it...Chesca may stop or it may continue to bark... but the side effect is that it'll make your dog emotionally damaged and more aggressive. Seems these shock collars is doing similar... every time it barks if the device can tell it's a bark it sends a shock. From the reviews of the shockers they seems to be crappy products anyways.

But what I hear is that this is an ongoing issue that you haven't addressed or addressed effectively from the old house to new house. I'm not ragging on you just reading what you post and seems you need to do something different.

10. Aug 26, 2016 at 4:52 PM
    ThaiChillyTaco

ThaiChillyTaco David aka Chilly aka Booty Freak

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Goose Creek - South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey TRD Off-road 4x4 Longbed
    Rough Country 3.5 Lift SCS BR6 wheels rolling in 285/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks
    Trader your boxers in for two Labs. Problem solved :anonymous:

11. Sep 19, 2016 at 2:16 PM

0210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Upgrade DCLB
    The best "bark collar" is training, training, and more training.

Sure, the dog will learn to associate the bark collar's correction with the bark, and perhaps it'll be enough to minimize the barking, but the dog will still attempt to do so, and will definitely do so anytime the collar is not on. It's a bandaid over a water leak.

Serious obedience training, consistent leadership and discipline are the long-term solution.

12. Sep 19, 2016 at 2:17 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

Products Discussed in

To Top