1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is the correct coolant temperature?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fla_sun, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Jan 19, 2017 at 6:44 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    My 2.7L runs at ~190-194°F. Highest it's been is ~197°F, according to Ultragauge. My '14 Subie with electric fans waits until it hits 212°F before fans kick on and lower to 190-194°F. This bothers me for some reason.

2. Jan 20, 2017 at 3:02 PM
    cliffyk

cliffyk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Saint Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 TRD Sport 145k miles
    The rated temperature of most all automotive thermostats is the opening temp--i.e. the temperature at which it begins to open. The fully open temperature may be 20, 25 or even 30 degrees higher. Depending on a number of variables the equilibrium temperature (the temperature at which the radiator is dissipating heat as fast as the engine is producing it) is typically 10 to 15 degrees higher than the t-stat rating...

3. Sep 5, 2018 at 9:35 PM
    WiildBill

WiildBill New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacome TRD Sport
    I’m having the same issue. My truck ran at 185 for ten years. I read where you were supposed to drain the fluid from the block when servicing the cooling system. I had never done that. So I Drained the block and refilled the system. it’s been a nightmare. It now runs at 210. I’ve “ burped” the system, with the heater open and on. I make sure it’s full. I’ve Been though 3 thermostats and it only runs at 185 without a thermostat.
    Any ideas?

4. Sep 6, 2018 at 5:15 AM
    DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mt. Hood, OR
    Vehicle:
    Mas Tacos Por Favor
    On the first gen V6 (3.4L 5VZ-FE), the thermostat was free of the housing and when guys went to install it, some would put the "jiggle valve" at the 12 o'clock position (facing up) because that's what common sense dictates. However, they'd soon notice that their trucks were running hot. Strangely, the position the valve needs to be placed is in the 6 o'clock position (facing down).

Pretty sure you can't install the thermostat wrong on the 1GR-FE (just did my wife's this past weekend with water pump, hoses and belts) but I would check that it still looks like the old one (if you haven't thrown the old one away). You can also check that they both open at the right/same temp. Start boiling a pot of water on your stove and add the thermostats. Monitor the water temp with a meat thermometer or the like. When the pot of water gets to 180ish + - degrees, make sure the thermostat is opening.

5. Sep 7, 2018 at 7:30 PM
    HillJackJDS

HillJackJDS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4WD
    Will a couple of you UltraGaude and Scan Guage owners please show us where you are mounting your gauges? Thanks.

6. Sep 8, 2018 at 8:14 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    My scangauge2 has the mount which makes it attach below the mirror.

HillJackJDS likes this.
  7. Sep 8, 2018 at 8:56 AM
    2WD

2WD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Off-Road Pre-Runner Taco
    King 25001-119A, JBA HC and superbumps, EL095 leafs with longer overload leaf removed and 2 degree shim, Bilstein 5160 rears with fox roost shield on passenger side, King 2'' bump stops, B&M 70264 trans cooler, CSF FJ radiator, Leer Trilogy X2T bed cover, Scangauge, 34R AGM battery, weathertech floormats, Gold plug on the differential, fancy engine and diff oils, UNI air injection filter mod, Factory antenna chopped 4'', De-badged, Ram mount on A pillar, Cooper ST Maxx 265/75 R16.
    [​IMG]
    The Scangauge comes with some velcro too.
    This is the hottest water temp and intake air temp I've seen on my truck. It was pretty hot outside, AC on max, sitting there idling in park for about 15-20 minutes. It was only 109 outside. During normal driving it usually runs at 184-190.

HillJackJDS[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top