1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is the likelihood that a dealership could screw up an alignment?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PA452, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Sep 29, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Title says it.

For the past month I've had some squirrelly behavior from my steering. It tends to want to drive right I think, and I also get a number of other quirks; occasional pulse feeling in the steering wheel when applying turning pressure under some conditions, generally sloppy feeling in the steering, sometimes a rubbing or reverberating sound at certain times and certain conditions and turns...

About three weeks ago I took it in and had a dealership check the alignment. They said it was out of alignment, so they adjusted it. Well after I left, I decided it felt pretty much the same. I thought maybe it felt just the slightest bit less squirrelly, but it was still pulling to the right some, and I still think it doesn't feel right in general.

I took it to another dealership yesterday morning for them to check it out. They said everything seemed fine to them, but now I'm not sure if they actual checked the alignment or just pulled up the results on the computer from the first dealership. I called them back today and asked the guy at the desk. He said he didn't really know if the tech physically checked it himself, said he would call me tomorrow and let me know.

I know there are other things it could potentially be, but I can't help but think it's an alignment issue.

So what are the chances the first place screwed it up? If the second place just looked up what the first shop did, then their assessment is worthless. If they call me back tomorrow and say they didn't actually check it, then I guess I'll take it to a tire place to check.

2. Sep 30, 2010 at 7:30 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    Some dealerships could screw up a wet dream. I'd take it to an alignment shop and get their opinion.

3. Sep 30, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    MMJ

MMJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2010 TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD
    Smitty Built nerf bars
    i just bought a 2010 tacoma and when i drove it off the lot, i realized the steering wheel was off center. took it back to them the next day and they did an alignment. the steering is great but i hear a weird scratch noise coming from my steering wheel on the first initial wheel turn when i start to drive. after that, the sound is gone. it only happens when i first start up the car and start driving and turn left or right like if i was leaving a parking space. anybody else ever have this issue after an alignment? did some research and found that it could be a clock spring inside the steering wheel???

4. Sep 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    KPT

KPT sees what you did there.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    This is why I always ask for a spec sheet printout when getting an alignment.

You could also ask the second place for one, so you can see if they pulled it from the first alignment, or if they did their own.

5. Sep 30, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    MMJ

MMJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2010 TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD
    Smitty Built nerf bars
    never thought of that. thanks for the advice. i'm going to take it back to them and have them redo or fix it and this time i'll ask for that printout. it's just weird how it only happens on the very first initial wheel turn after the car is turned on and then afterwards its back to normal...

To Top