1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

what is the most money you would spend on a knife?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by aficianado, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Mar 14, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    fireboltr

fireboltr Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Hollister
    Vehicle:
    07 preRunner

Some of the great knife makers of our time including Bob Dozier himself says "D2 takes a shitty edge but it will hold that edge forever"
    D2 likes a "toothier" edge. Don't try to polish it, it tends to orange peel. I usually stop at 600-1000 grit and go no higher 18-21 degree edge.

S30V is a good "stainless" steel.... too bad it micro chips like crazy
    S35vn (Chris Reeves newest steel... he helped cruicible develope both S30V and S35VN, hence why he was the FIRST to use it) is the closest thing I have ever used to a tool steel that is still "stainless"... Mike Stewart (Bark River) loves it as well. It is simply the toughest "stainless" out there

You want to try out one of the best cheap as all hell folding knives out there??
    Try a Svord Peasant knife... like 15$ friction folder sweedish l6 tool steel. Takes a true razor edge and about as tough as it comes.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. Mar 14, 2013 at 9:26 PM
    TROKITA

TROKITA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Utah, the valley
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma TRD supercharged
    Supercharged, Custom sunroof, 6 inch lift, wheel spacers, over the rail tire carrier
    Free99 :D i got a SOG knife for free :) there freaken awesome

3. Mar 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Wow.
    I know it's an entirely different world, but seeing it in print drives it home.

My "daily use knife" (if you want to call it a knife)... I set the bevel on a DMT1200. I would only go down to the DMT325 if I needed to hone out a chip.

From there, if I'm using synthetic stones, I'll progress to 4k, 8k, 12k, and finish off on a Chinese 12k.
    But normally I'll just run the entire process on a Belgian Coticule, gradually diluting the slurry until clear, then adding a layer of electrical tape to the spine and a couple dozen polishing laps with mineral oil.

My $350 "knife"

[​IMG]

4. Mar 14, 2013 at 10:05 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    I have seen a lot of beautiful knives and understand the handwork that goes into them. But for me a knife is a tool and it is going to get used, sometimes even abused. I have a hard time spending $100, and have many at half that that are good reliable knives. My daily carry is a Spiderco. I have a couple Bencmade that are nice too, and probably 50 more new in box knives at this time because I like knives!

5. Mar 14, 2013 at 11:13 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, flow master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Federal Signal Siren, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom built expedition style bed rack and basket combo, TRS Projector Retrofit Hopefully soon: Avid Front bumper Light bar w/lights
    would love to see this.. thinking about making my brother a knife for a b-day present

6. Mar 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, flow master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Federal Signal Siren, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom built expedition style bed rack and basket combo, TRS Projector Retrofit Hopefully soon: Avid Front bumper Light bar w/lights
    Looks great! how long did it take you to finish up? Like I said, I'd like to do this and make one for my brother. I can find all the supplies on line but I'm just a little worried about time and my tools. Really only have basic tools, one hacksaw, sand paper, etc. Have all the knife sharpening supplies though so that wouldn't be a problem.

7. Mar 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Airaid Short Ram Intake, 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs, 16" Konig Countersteer rims, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Repped. Stunning stunning knife. I want one.

I have the same one but not the Tanto version. Carry it on every call I go to. Love it to bits.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty sure I dropped like $375+ on this.

Worth every penny.

8. Mar 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    Silver Taco
    3" Lift (Billies 5100 front and back), Toytec springs, All Pro 3" Standard Pack, LR UCA's, Diff Drop, SCS F5's, 265/75/16 Treadwright Wardens, Rear Diff Breather, pinch weld mod, Morimoto Projector retro w/ amber halo's, grey wire mod, Elite front bumper....so far....
    I spent $200+ (can't remember exact price) on my benchmade auto-opener. Tanto point blade, push button auto. I got it before a major deployment. The story is very long and boring but the short....they sent me a new one....free of charge after seeing the pictures of the remains of the original one. I'll spend good $ on another benchmade if I ever need one.

To Top