1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is your favorite power tool brand?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Taco_Coma, May 16, 2019.

1. May 30, 2019 at 9:53 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    I'm not a pro, so my needs are not the as severe. One of best drills I have owned is a Hitachi (3/8"?) hammer drill. The other is a Bosch 1/2" hammer drill. Great tools. The worst corded drill I have is a Milwaukee. It must be an exception, judging from the comments here. The only battery operated drill I have is a DeWalt. Works great. I got tired of replacing the expensive batteries and converted it with a cord to connect to an external 12v battery. Has worked great for over 20 years. My Hitachi router is a quality tool. The Porter Cable skilsaw competition is ok. Before I learned better I got several Craftsman power tools. They are not in the league that their hand tools were years ago.

It is disappointing that some of the major companies have lent their names to inferior products. I bought a shop stool with a major company's name on it. It was a POS. I returned it. A set of drill bits with a big name are worthless in steel.

Other companies have taken advantage of stellar reputations and produced junk. IMO, B&D leads that pack.

UOFan likes this.
  2. May 30, 2019 at 10:35 AM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    It was a very sad day when Craftsman started having their hand tools made in China and India.... that coupled with the fact that I dont think their power tools ever compared with the leading brands has really diminished Craftsman in my eyes.

3. May 30, 2019 at 12:05 PM
    Pbuddy1026

Pbuddy1026 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCLB
    885+5100's, ICON 3L in the back
  4. May 30, 2019 at 1:27 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    That's awesome!

5. Jun 16, 2019 at 10:30 AM
    shane100700

shane100700 Bed, Bath & Beyond Crawler

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    I’m bored so thread revival!!

I have both M12 and M18 Milwaukee in a lot of different tools. Mostly like them because Milwaukee seems to stay ahead of innovation a little better then others. MOSTLY though, I have multiples of those sets because of using the same batteries. Other then additional tool options, most are on par with others.

Lots of brand overlap with parent companies though.

Big power tools typically range between Bosch, Ridgid and Porter Cable. Those are typically review based. Battery tools are consist due to battery compatibility.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gear/a28359/megabrands-tools-graphic/

5C0C67DB-9E1A-4EC0-877E-5116EBBE0825.jpg

TK-422 likes this.
  6. Jun 20, 2019 at 11:38 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    Long before li-ion tools came out, my favorite was Makita but I never actually owned any cordless Makitas, just an angle grinder. My first real cordless drill was a Dewalt XRP, nicad, the lithiums weren't arou d yet. Finally when both batteries died, rather than getting new batteries I upgraded to the Dewalt lithium drill & nut driver.

They served me well until they got stolen. My work replaced them, well they cashed me out so I then went with Milwauke M18 which I absolutely love. I'm well invested in the M18 line + a M12 ratchet.

Irrelevant but one of my lil brothers is a M12 guy & my youngest brother is a Bosch guy. My buddy is still a die hard Makita guy but his father who works in construction is a Milwaukee guy. I always hear him talk smack about Dewalt, he calls them glorified Black & Decker. The Dewalts I had worked fine for me but I doubt I will ever switch back to them.

shane100700 likes this.
  7. Apr 3, 2020 at 6:49 PM
    Dino1

Dino1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 4WD 5sp
    Stock for now
    I’ve had Dewalts for 20ish years or so but damn the batteries always sucked.

Thinking I’ll soon switch to the Milwaukee.

shane100700 likes this.
  8. Apr 5, 2020 at 5:46 AM
    UOFan

UOFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    NC
    Vehicle:
    1994 Single Cab DLX, 2013 TRD Sport, 1999 Dodge 2500 360 V8
    5100 Lift + AAL
    Currently use Rigid 18V as my primary battery tools. I use the impact driver for lugnuts and it works just fine. Looking to purchase some corded tools (drill, recip saw). What's your guys' experience with Bosch corded tools? How about the bosch 12v line?

9. Apr 5, 2020 at 5:08 PM
    Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell No Pants

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 2.7L/5MT AC Utility 4X4
    We had an old Milwaukee sawzall in the trailer shop I worked in. Boss bought 4-5 Dewalts and they all failed while that Milwaukee was chugging right along.

I recommended he stop buying Dewalts and buy another Milwaukee. He did and it was the last sawzall he had to buy while I was there. Good products.

Went thru the same process with Dewalt chop saws. Foreman bought 2 and they were always broke/being repaired/warrantied while an ancient white Makita bolted to the bottom of a 55gal drum kept making money. I suggested another Makita and the 2 Dewalts remained broken while the new and old Makitas worked flawlessly.

The Skil worm-drive 7 1/4" saw is one fine piece of machinery. I cut trailer wrecks apart with them with them binding and kicking back ruthlessly sometimes going thru 15 blades when cutting steel clad composite plateside trailers apart. Never had one fail and 90% of what we cut with them was aluminum and steel.

ETA: Hilti makes some very nice tools as well. I have a 3/8" reversible corded drill I used in a trailer shop when the compressor was always running short on air. Drilled hundreds of thousands of holes with it. I see Hilti is now making cordless tools. I'd bet they are pretty well built but pricey.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  10. Apr 7, 2020 at 5:07 PM
    08BajaBoy

08BajaBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Southern Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail PreRunner
    AFE Pro Dry S air filter, Magnaflow muffler, FabTech DirtLogic UCA, FabTech 2.5 remote resi (front) and 2.25 remote resi (rear)
    Started with craftsman when we bought our first house. Older now and can afford Milwaukee. Picked up the M12 combo kit last father's day. This COVID-19 thing is giving me PLENTY of time to put my dream list together. Gonna need a second job. Haha

shane100700 likes this.
  11. Sep 11, 2020 at 11:50 AM
    LarryDangerfield

LarryDangerfield One Larry a day keeps the money away ™ Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Cement 2020 Trail Limo off-road
    Tuxmat floor mats, Bilstein 6112s and 5160s
    Another added to the collection.

IMG_20200911_134543.jpg

Thatbassguy likes this.
  12. Sep 11, 2020 at 6:41 PM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    Milwaukee.

Thatbassguy and LarryDangerfield like this.
  13. Sep 11, 2020 at 7:35 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy Sweet or sour?

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    RSG sliders, SOS skids, SOS bumper, wheels, tires, etc
    That thing kicks ass!

I have a Milwaukee tool problem:spending:

14. Sep 11, 2020 at 11:04 PM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    I only have one problem with Milwaukee tools. I'm running out of storage space.

Hunterdc1 and Thatbassguy like this.
  15. Sep 12, 2020 at 4:29 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy Sweet or sour?

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    RSG sliders, SOS skids, SOS bumper, wheels, tires, etc

:rofl:

16. Sep 12, 2020 at 4:31 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    Another vote for Milwaukee.

Tacodelphia and Thatbassguy like this.
  17. Sep 26, 2020 at 12:37 PM
    Tacodelphia

Tacodelphia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR MT Cement
    I like Milwaukee tools generally (my impact and mag drill are both excellent) and have quite a few, but there are some categories were I don’t think they offer a great product.

For higher torque/lower speed drilling (generally in metal) I like Fein. Four speed gear box and a nice chuck—WORLD of difference over my Milwaukee cordless. For corded grinders, Metabo.

18. Dec 27, 2020 at 5:04 PM
    PEIHank

PEIHank Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport
    I enjoy, and have great luck with, Ridgid tools. I have owned cordless and corded Ridgid tools that have been used extensively since 2010, and have not had an issue or warranty claim yet (lifetime warranty on tool and batteries!). I like the ergonomics and find the batteries last well.

I currently have - corded: belt sander, 6" ROS, and 12 gallon wet/dry vacuum. Cordless (all 18V): 1/2" drill/driver, jigsaw, 5" ROS, flexible light, 1/2" impact wrench, trim router and 3 gallon wet/dry vacum.

Actually, my favorite Ridgid tool overall is the cordless 3 gallon wet/dry vacuum...it is awesome! Can use it for a quick clean of the Taco, boat, garage or DIY jobsite - doesn't matter where the mess is.

EdgemanVA likes this.
  19. Dec 28, 2020 at 6:56 AM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    The Milwaukee corded drills in 2000-2010+ (?) era SUCK. I killed two in short order, not drilling anything that tough in particular burned the motors up. And Milwaukee Customer service is USELESS. Soured me on Milwaukee tools to the point of specifically not buying their cordless tools (yeah a bunch of people are Milwaukee Fan Bois) and maybe made me shy away from some good tools, but twice burned and all.

That said, my corded tool collection is all over the map. Name the brand, I have it. Without batteries in the equation you can get the better tool in that category. The only corded tools so far that turned out to be pure shit were the Milwaukee corded drills. Uggh. I even have a fairly ancient B&D circular saw that needs bushing/bearings, but still will cut and motor is ok (use for some destructive cutting). But my go to corded circular is DeWalt, it's been bullet proof. My Bosch jigsaw is quite nice. I even have a thrasher Ryobi corded recipro saw from the 1990's that still works OK, I bought when working on an out of town rental.

Cordless? I cut my cord/teeth on Makita 9.6V (and I have a 7.2V drill as well) in the 1980s - those drills served me well for near 2 decades. The saws were a bit pathetic, the jigsaw wasn't horrible. The batteries (NiCd) from the era are in modern comparison are very sad - memory, power, life - weak.
    Since the "20V"Max DeWalt came out, I jumped on that bandwagon. I have been over the top pleased with the tools. THREE ISSUES: I killed one drill years ago, DeWalt shipped me a new drill the next day! I agree 1000% the 20V Impact gun is very puny in power, heavy a hell, but sadly weak. And lastly the jigsaw blade holder is strange and lets go when cutting anything sticky (can't do metal beyond some aluminum- maybe) . But the batteries are great and the circular saws awesome. So - I have and love DeWalt 20V. But the stuff is pretty large. Oh and The Lovely Wife (TLW) just got me the 20VMax grease gun for Christmas. Thing is a monster. Can't wait to hit on some zerks!

For a general cordless circular saw, nice and light yet powerful DeWalt DCS570 7 1/4" Brushless is super handy. I built whole cedar fences and sections of fences with no cords (amazing to a geezer like me upload_2020-12-28_6-36-34.gif ). I even ripped fence boards on the lawn. Drill, driver, saw - 3 or 4 batteries and GO! For small work the DEWALT ATOMIC 20V MAX Circular Saw, 4-1/2-Inch, DCS571 amazingly strong for a mightymite. I crosscut some hard oak flooring in place, plunge cut like a dream. Of course a specialized tool - if the diet is 2X lumber, too small.
    So I just ordered the 6 1/2" offering!

For years I had the Milwaukee M12 pipe cutter. That thing is zippy. Then this fall I saw a tool pack offer with tool bag for M12 at HD for a very low price. Definitely the cheaper end tools in the range - drill, driver, ratchet, light, mini-saw. But so small and perfect and under $200. I like them so much, if they poop the bed I will replace with the better brushless M12 tool in the range.

I guess maybe the point of this isn't to defend DeWalt, but like any tool, it's always a balance between buying the best tool for the money and a tool that will get the job done NOW and maybe your entire lifetime. I really hate the fact that batteries pin us to a brand. Can you imagine a cordless tool market with universal batteries - Low volt: 9V-12V, Medium volt: 18V-24V, High volt 36-72V?

20. Mar 3, 2021 at 3:08 PM
    CPS-65

CPS-65 I’m good for some, but I’m not for everyone.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alta Loma, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand TRD Off Road 4X4
    Mostly old man mods
    Typically Milwaukee and Makita. I have some old Craftsman Industrial that will likely last forever. One I use a lot is a 3/8 Craftsman Industrial drill. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It is super torquey and drills anything without complaint. It has also caught on occasion and about broke my wrist. Ive had the CI drills in 3/6 and 1/2, and a reciprocating saw for about 35 years. I think I have recorded every one more than once. I replace the cords with really long 12 ga units. I have some cordless stuff but I don't use it much. Cords and air drive most of my power stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top