1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What it the world happen?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by MedlinAround, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Feb 3, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    MedlinAround

MedlinAround [OP] Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD off-road edition Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
    Well i just hooked my 2 10" Memphis SR subs up (Brand new) about 2 days ago and it sounded perfectly fine. Hit decently well and the treble sounded really well through the speakers. Well today i go outside and try to finish it up and hide all the wires so you couldn't see none of them. I ran them down the door frame and plugged them back in exactly how i had them (not much you can mess up) So i go and plug my system back in the same way and go to turn it off and my subs are not hitting or sounding even close to what they were. Sounds like some static coming through them and not hitting close to as hard as they were. My amp is fine (although it is weak) but i had it hooked up exactly the same as i did before? I went back over every wire to make sure they wasn't being pinched from the frame and can't find nothing? WTF happen?

2. Feb 3, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    mikracer

mikracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB | TRD Sport 4x4
    Sounds like either your RCA's from your headunit to amp are not connected well, or your speaker wire isnt connected well. Some people have issues when you run ALL the wires down one side of the car. Most installers will run power and remote down one side and the rca's down the other.

3. Feb 3, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Ok, few things I'd check.

1. Does the amp power on? Look for a light or something.
    2. Do the subs move/make sound AT ALL? Meaning they're getting signal.
    3. How do you have things like gain and crossover set on the amp?
    4. Check the wires going from the amp to the subs. You might have a short where the + and - are touching from a fray.

4. Feb 3, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
    The amp does power on and the speakers do hit but like crap. It is just like static is coming through them with a little pounding. I've checked everything in the amp. I dont believe its the speaker wires simply because i have two different boxes and both the speakers are doing it (took then out of the amp 2-3 times to make sure good connection) only thing I can possible determine is the RCA cables have came out of the back of the headunit

5. Feb 4, 2011 at 6:57 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    I can't even read your post because your sig is too large and annoying.

6. Feb 4, 2011 at 7:10 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Separate the speaker and power wires. If they're run alongside each other for even a few feet, you'll see some interference. Physics 101 ;)

7. Feb 4, 2011 at 7:16 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    your wires could be out of phase, if you connected the positive and negative opposite of how u had them before. you only mentioned RCA, but its just something else to look into.

you are getting signal so its something in the wiring not power. RCA are either on or off, there really isn't a "not plugged in all the way setting" I would check speaker wire, and also separate your signals wires from the power runs back to the amp.

8. Feb 4, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    pulled up all my wires and removed my RCA's from my power chord and re installed every wire into the amp and sure enough thats what it was! Thanks guys!

9. Feb 4, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Glad it worked, that'll do it. One time I ran the screen cable for a car computer alongside power for 15 feet, it screwed everything up. That's when I learned not to do that. :D

10. Feb 4, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Yeah i didn't know nothing about that. Thanks for the help guys!

Products Discussed in

To Top