1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What job did you choose after the miliatry?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by dommo, May 10, 2012.

1. May 11, 2012 at 4:37 PM
    dommo

dommo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner TRD
    Well, I've thought about that a lot, as far as changing MOS's. Honestly, I dont think I would be much happier, maybe, maybe not. I hope that doesnt sound real bitchy...I fully understand that I'm not going to change the Army, and I'm not gonna bitch about it for no reason. Hence the reason I'm pondering getting out. And yes, staying till 15 will probably happen, even if I hate the place. I refuse to get out just because I am pissy at the Army.

2. May 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I continued my Army job (medic) as a civilian EMT, then paramedic. I got my EMT, EMICT and a BS in biology on the GI Bill before my benefits expired. This was the right thing for me but you have to decide yourself what's right for you.

The economy and civilian job market isn't all that good right now is many places, nor is an 11B directly applicable to that many civilian jobs. It might be good to wait a couple of years for a retirement package then use your VA benefits to get the type of job training you want. That is, if you have something in mind that you want to do in civilian life.

3. May 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    Hey,

I original got out after 10 years USAF Sgt E-4 my now ex and I were both active made the deal if she made E-5 I would get out as my career field was much more viable outside the military 2a7x7 ( Air Craft Structural Repair / Corrosion Control). With two kids and on a Fighter Base IE always TDY and even later on a Trash Hauler base always on 12's It's a deal I should have never made... I would have been out 6 years ago with full pension and plenty of time as someone else said to have another career. I did however, and I hope you do too go back as reserves you just have to do a total of 20yrs between both but there is a min for reserves and I don't know what that is these days. You will get a pension at 62 though if you do time on orders for every 90 days they back up your draw date 90 days. You can cross train into another MOS and go to school on your GI Bill. All the while you do your one weekend a month and two weeks a year so you have a car payment and then money for a nice vacation :} Which is what I did and got pulled back active for several years but since I was already in my current job it was there when I came back out as an E-6 my pension will be almost as much as an E-7 who did the full 20 years because of the reserve point system and I will get it at 59 due to being on orders for so long.

Job market in your area sucks go on orders if they are available. Look at Fed Civ jobs on the base if you plan on staying there in Georgia. Again, as someone else said the job market is really not in good shape you currently have a job that supplies you with full medical, vision; dental etc such as it is I know not great but better then nothing. There are not a lot of places that offer that I do not know if you have children etc but if you do it is something to think about.

I did go to school using my VA ( 60% DAV Now but 10% when I originally got out )and obtained two AA degrees in the computer field just as I graduated the bottom fell out of the job market with the mortgage fiasco etc. So I have stayed with my currently job as a K-9 Handler for the state I work in though, not as a policeman again another bad deal with the now ex lol couldn't handle me being a trooper but had no problem with me working on a tier with 60 to 90 convicts. I stay because of the benefits package and I do like my job most of the time :}.

Something you should consider though if you are going to do 15 why not look into cross training to a career you like and is viable on the outside go to school while in?? I do not know if you still can do this but you used to be able to make the cross train deal with the contingency of you will only reenlist if you are allowed to just make sure it is ON YOUR RENLISTMENT FORM!! (Ask me how I know that trick) lol.

I would also suggest you gather and keep accurate copies of all medical problem you have had while in broken, strained, injuries, surgeries etc when you get out you ensure you get an out going physical and mention all of the above and get them to put it on paper then if you have had any of the issues stated above you have a much easier time going to the VA. By the way if you are awarded 50% or more from the VA you get to keep your full pension and your VA pension, and if you do have a disability that prevents you from doing your MOS on the outside the VA also has programs for that, dove tail into your GI Bill.

Hopefully some of the above is helpful to you or any others currently serving to think before they jump ship and pack your own parachute before jumping out of the perfectly good airplane :} LOL

I hunted this up for your current state
    http://www.dol.state.ga.us/em/get_labor_market_information.htm

Cypherian

4. May 11, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    ^ There are a few inaccuracies with your post. Per congressional mandate, whatever portion from your disability compensation will be removed from your pension. Otherwise is called "double dipping" and that just won't happen. The advantage is that any money paid out by the V.A. (compensation or pension, they are NOT the same) are tax free so it's a bit of a bump.

To the OP, I can't imagine being burned out like you sound you are. Although the job market is pretty bad, it's not like it's in the toilet anymore.

Sure in your shoes I'd do the 20 and start again with a pension, but if it will make your life unbearable, there is A LOT of money to be made in the oil fields right now. It is tough dangerous job, but I bet you've seen worst.

There is a lot of good advice in this thread, getting another MOS, going to college or going to the oil fields are all good possibilites.

GODSPEED, and txs for your service!

5. May 11, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
  6. May 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
  7. May 11, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    I spent 26 years on active duty - 13 years as an artillery officer, 13 years as an intel officer. Also trainied as a Middle East/North Africa Foreign Area Officer - Arabic linguist.

WHen I retired, I went to work for a two year private college. Started as assistant to the president, moved to vp for planning and operations, then to executive vp - on 1 July I take over as president of the college.

If you and your family can handle the moves and deployments, I strongly recommend you hang in to retirement. Having that guaranteed retirement check makes finding your next career so much easier...and less stressful.

I found that the skills I learned related to planning, leadershoip and management can be applied directly to what I'm doing now. Good leadership is good leadership - you mave have to change your approach a bit and adjust to different situations, but it's really the same.

8. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:08 AM
    Ben83

Ben83 I am faster than 80% of all snakes.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    12 MGM TRD Sport DCSB
    Extang Solid Fold Seat Covers Trimmed the mudflaps. Husky Liners
    GI Bill!!! Me and my wife are both taking advantage of the Post 911. It is awesome.

9. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:12 AM
    bridgcat

bridgcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    Went to work in the oil field offshore! Don't regret a thing!

10. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:17 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    ^^Big money though right. Right after I got out I worked in a quarry making good money. Now I dont have to work as hard, get paid better and quality of life is much better,........... will never look back....

11. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:19 AM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    It's good money for sure. I started out making 21 bucks an hour offshore and now I'm a drilling consultant making A LOT more!

12. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:19 AM
    Ben83

Ben83 I am faster than 80% of all snakes.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    12 MGM TRD Sport DCSB
    Extang Solid Fold Seat Covers Trimmed the mudflaps. Husky Liners
    Totally man. I had a great experience in the military but they couldn't pay me enough money to go back in. Being a civilian is AMAZING!

13. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:23 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I was a munitions troop. Now I'm a civilian contractor for the AF. I order people gear for their deployments. We have a union and make good money but no insurance, We do have a small pension fund though.

I only did 4 years active duty and got out. at the time I thought "there are way too many derps and red tape, this shit sucks".

being a civillian I think "there are way too many derps and red tape". same shit different title :laugh: I dont have to take shit from people with more rank than me now though (other than my boss :D)

14. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:24 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab

Yes and yes!!!!!

15. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:26 AM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn't change my service at all but I also enjoy being a civilian. I get to have a beard!

16. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:31 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I dont get to rock a beard but... I like to think about the good times I had in the Army, but the bad way outweighs the good.... But now that I am out and I got where am I due to military experience it was worth it!!!

17. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    DevilDogTacoma

DevilDogTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma V6 DCSB
    Flowmaster 40 Muffler, 15% Front Window and Windshield Sun Strip Tint, Antennax 14" Antenna, OME 3" Lift w/AAL, SlimCubby 6000K HID headlights and foglights, Thule tailgate pad for surfboards, 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x9 XD Addicts, LED map, dome and tag lights
    I did 6 years in the Marine Corps as an 0311 Rifleman. Got out as a Corporal. Was hired by a police department in Maryland. Wore my Service Charlies to my interview, they loved it. A lot of police and fire departments love having former military because of their work ethic, fitness level, play well with a team, etc.

18. Jun 28, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I got out of the AF as on 0-2, there are several search firms that have hiring conferences across the country (Lucas Group, Bradley Morris ect) anyway they try to place x military guys. It's amazing how little pay some companies expect you to take. Some jobs are 50% of what I made as an 0-2. But they do get some good jobs in there as well. I went into project management for a construction company, got laid off a few months ago and about to start another PM job for an oil pipeline company.

19. Jun 28, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    This!

20. Jun 28, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    dommo

dommo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner TRD
    Oh I don't have too much bad to say about my time in the Army(sure, there's plenty to complain about, but it won't change anything, so what's the point).

The biggest problem I'm running into, as far as deciding to get out or not, is that no civilian jobs really interest me. Not that there aren't plenty of jobs that I would work less hours, probably from an air conditioned office, and make more money doing it...just think that they would get old rather quickly. Looking at overseas contracting work, possibly as a semi-temporary thing, maybe a few years worth, while going to school in the mean time. Who knows...but the Army is doing funny things these days, and I'm not sure I want to be part of that anymore. We'll see.

Products Discussed in

To Top