1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What kind of alarm do I have?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KDEpic, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Jun 7, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    KDEpic

KDEpic [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KD
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Hey guys, I'm new here but I've been eerily lurking in the shadows for quite some time...

:spy:

First off I'd like to say that I LOVE Tacotunes. It's an incredibly reputable company and I ordered... stuff... from there and I got it the same day I ordered it in another country and... Oh wait, sorry let me try to have a slightly more credible first post than some of the firsts I've seen here :p

Ok here's the deal been looking at replacing my truck with a Tacoma here for awhile and I finally did. It came from the dealership with one key, a valet key, and a shiny new owner's manual (the salesman made a point to mention that when I brought up the lack of keys / remotes)

Well I noticed it has some kind of accessory switch / button that I have no idea what it is, and if I lock it using the key, rather than the button, a sequence of honks sound and the headlights turn on. Well I'm almost certain I have some kind of aftermarket security system and even though a brand new snazzy Viper 5902 sounds like something I want I'd like to know what I have and if it's worth a hoot before I spend money on a new alarm (which I'll likely do anyways)

So, how can I find out which kind of alarm I have? Where are the brains usually mounted, I guess is the question.

Will buying a new alarm make the new alarm's install harder? (people tend to enjoy screwing up the 5901/5902 installs, I'm hearing)

And my final inquiry / statement:

How the hell are ya? Glad to meet ya. 'Preciate all the help!

2. Jun 8, 2010 at 8:00 AM
    KDEpic

KDEpic [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KD
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Bump :confused:

3. Jun 8, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    KDEpic

KDEpic [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KD
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Yeah it's used and the dealership doesn't know anything about it. I've looked under the dash and can't find it.

When I buy a new alarm will it cost more for installation because of this?

4. Jun 10, 2010 at 4:31 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Dbl Cab LB 4x4 TRD
    Toytec CO's, IRONMAN rear leaf pack, All pro front bumper, Body Armor rear bumper, BA steps MB TKO's w/285/75/16 Terra Grapplers, Bakflip tonneau cover, autopage remote start alarm, Ultragauge
    Post a pic of the remote and TW will ID it for you. Try setting it and then test it by opening the doors and bumping it for the shock sensor. If that doesn't work, you may have just keyless entry, no alarm.

[​IMG]

5. Aug 4, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    They sold you a truck and didn't even give you a master key? Does your truck have the engine immobilizer?

According to my '09 manual, if you lose both master keys you have to replace the entire engine immobilizer system.

6. Aug 4, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    The alarm sounds aftermarket to me.

Regarding the key situation. All v6 trucks have the immobilizer system. I just had spare keys made for mine. I asked what would happen if I lose them all. The dealer told me they can start from scratch and reprogram the computer on my 06. Probably should avoid losing the master key though. Sounds like a couple hours of dealer labor to program, plus the actual keys.

To Top