1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What kind of dog food do you guys use?

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by rb11701, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Oct 1, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    purina large breed..... i think.. huge green bag

2. Oct 2, 2009 at 4:50 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    After that scare of the tainted food, I really looked into it. Whole food huh, that's a real comitment. Props to you. Funny how you can judge how good the food is by thier crap. lol. That was the biggest plus for me was less piles to pick up. Always a plus!

3. Oct 2, 2009 at 4:56 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    That is a different story. A dog of that age/health should be taken care of for whatever she wants. I started with mine when she was 3, different story. And i am not trying to crap on other peopls choices at all. Some people really don't have an idea as they think all food is created equally. I happen to be a animal lover and once I got educated on the subject I was in shock, almost like I was doing Kaylee an injustice. I felt it was my duty as her owner/protector to provide the best I could. Whatever that may be. For your older dog, just eating is the key, not so much what you give the dog.

4. Oct 3, 2009 at 2:14 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I have an 11yr old dog who has been eating the lower quality food all his life, shame on me but he is pretty healthy still.
    I'm about to get a puppy in a month and while researching about the new pup discovered food info and decided to use a better quality food for both dogs.
    I know to slowly introduce the new food with the old food. I'll be starting that this month for the old dog, I hope to see an improvement in him.

Thanks for the info.

5. Oct 3, 2009 at 4:57 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    No problem. Most dogs are fine with the cheap food no question. The issue is really what goes into to food, how it is made and what they use for fillers. Personally, I feel 100x better that I am now feeding my dog something healthy. Really is just personal choice. Few things you should notice is a great looking coat, I mean great. Nice pink skin and solid poo that is less frequent. (which is always a plus)

Orijen makes a puppy chow, fantastic stuff. And I am not kidding that you will use less. The reason is that seeing the food is better, more is absorbed by the dog. This means they will need less food to keep full and fullfill thier needs. With a cheaper food that has tons of ingredients not found in a wolf's diet, it just passes through them with little getting absorbed. Think of what happens when you eat crappy food, it passes through quickly and you are hungry in a short while. Same thing.

6. Oct 3, 2009 at 5:09 AM
    tanktodd

tanktodd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    back on the right side of the bay, Ala
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner w/TRD Sport Pkg
    Limo tint in back w/ 20% on doors. Removed all badges. Stereo headunit, all new door speakers, 2 amps, and 10' sub...so far Black bullbar MotoMetals and 285/70/17 Duratracs. 3" OME springs in front and aal in back with tsb springs Black UWS tool box 5100's all around Plasti-dipped evo front end Fog light anytime mod OEM steps (for sale) HID fogs 55w 3000k HID heads 35 w 6000k "Cool white" dome & map lights
    Nothing but Beneful for my wiener

7. Oct 3, 2009 at 5:17 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    You know your dog food ;). I agree with you.
    My dog always had a nice coat, lots of energy, good personality, only poops 1 time/day on pedigree, now he is getting older and slowing down some, he is shedding a little more and his coat isn't as silky. I'm going to try upgrading his food to see how it works for him.
    I figured I'd try starting out right with the new pup, so why not try something better for my old man too.

How about Science Diet Natures Best??

I just found it on the site you linked, but the ingredients are listed different than from the manufacturer.

8. Oct 3, 2009 at 5:50 AM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    wow, i never knew that some dogfood was sooo unhealthy for our pets. so, how much is this Orijen dog food anyways? and how big of a bag does it come in?

9. Oct 3, 2009 at 5:50 AM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    kibbles n bit i think?

10. Oct 3, 2009 at 5:56 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    California Naturals, Lamb and Rice Formula, Low fat. Luna has some food allergies so we had to find food without certain ingredients. Pure coincidence that it has a bulldog on the label.

11. Oct 3, 2009 at 5:57 AM
    TroutBum

TroutBum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 AC 4x4 Sold, 17 Sport 6MT DCSB, 2020 OR DCSB
    Leer 100R
  12. Oct 3, 2009 at 7:07 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Perhaps a different flavor? Not sure why there is a difference. I gotta check my Orijen bag vs. the site now. Again, please do not second guess yourself. If your dog has grown up on pedigree and is healthy that is all that matters in the end. This is just personal choice for me and coming from iams/beneful/purina one I have noticed a great improvment on my Shiba Inu. As always YMMV.

I just looked at the natures best and it was reviewed in 2005. Perhaps an ingredient change took place. Not quite sure. On my orijen, the ingredients are the same but some of the analysis numbers are off by a tad. They say that thier info is from the mfgr. so perhaps and analysis might have changed. I mainly look at the ingredient list and look for grain free. My sole purpose is to put the info out there as some people, like myself, were unaware of any differences and never even knew about a 6 star food.

13. Oct 3, 2009 at 7:13 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    It comes in 5,15,50 pound bags.

http://www.doggiefood.com/orijenadult.html

where I get mine from as it is local here in RI. I can say that one 15# bag last me a good deal longer than 1 20# bag of Iams. Just an example of course.

Check around locally to see. There must be a pet food store that sells quality food in your area.

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/storeLocator/zone-USA.aspx

14. Oct 3, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    +1. Food allergies are something that I have not mentioned as some dogs, like yours, cannot tolerate certain brands. PITA trying to find a food that works though. Glad to see you found one that works for you.

15. Oct 3, 2009 at 7:21 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
  16. Oct 3, 2009 at 2:53 PM
    RevHard6

RevHard6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    11 DC OR 4x4
    My pooch gets Canidae dry mixed with Wellness canned food.

17. Oct 3, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    RevHard6

RevHard6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    11 DC OR 4x4
    Good looking pooch! We used to give Sadie raw meat every once in a while as a treat, but it started to make her sick.

18. Oct 3, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    NewMexiTaco

NewMexiTaco Abron Cabron

Member:
    First Name:
    Abraham
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Weathertech mats; Wet Okole seat covers; Kobalt Lowpro truck box,(sitting in the shed) Snugtop Hi-liner camper shell; AFE Pro Dry air filter, Tailgate Hoseclamp mod; 5100s all around, Light Racing UCAs, OME 885 coils, OME Dakar Leafs, CB Drop, Driveline spacer. Epoxy Satoshi; Redline Hood Struts. 4x Mil Spec. bed D rings; Brute Force Fab custom DCLB Hybrid Sliders, ARB w/ Warn M8000 wench, Diff Breather mod, Alpine Deck w/ ipod cable. Iphone ziptie to rearview mirror 4wd-cam mod!
    Trader Joes Brand wet and dry food.... not the best prolly , but a damn sight better than ol roy or even purina (which i used to get).

That Oriejen stuff looks like ingredients I would eat myself....which is the point i guess.... corn meal is crap 'filler'. makes em gassy too :eek:
    My Boy is totally carnivorous. wont even eat milk bones.... but anything meaty- its all over quickly. i Do 1/3 wet 2/3 dry, and mix it up good... otherwise he wont eat the dry food. I also give him any leftover meat as a treat.but no bread. I feel like he deserves a high protein diet as he runs his butt off and doesnt have the reserves (like i do).

[​IMG]

19. Oct 6, 2009 at 5:03 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    I think they might have updated their ingredients...this is what the label lists now
    Chicken, Brown Rice, Soybean Meal, Whole Grain Wheat, Chicken Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Cracked Pearled Barley, Whole Grain Oats, Apples, Cranberries, Fish Oil, Peas, Carrots, Soybean Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Iodized Salt, Broccoli, Vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), DL-Methionine, L-Tryptophan, Taurine, L-Threonine, Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

I'm going to check out the local pet store and see what they have to offer. He is healthy, but I think being that he is getting older a better food might improve his energy, joints, coat and maintain his weight. Can't hurt to try and might as well do it now with a new puppy coming into the home.
    Thanks for the info and your input :D.

20. Oct 7, 2009 at 4:16 PM
    kris77

kris77 Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    Whats wrong with Ol' Roy from wally world?

Been feeding that to my dogs now for 5 years...They are healthy as can be..

Products Discussed in

To Top