1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What kind of TV lasts the longest?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ikillterrorists, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Nov 25, 2012 at 5:11 AM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    All of my TV's and Monitors are Samsung, they run and look great. Other than the Playstations, I stay away from Sony, especially anything that plays any sort of disc.

Are far as LCD screens go, there are only 3 major manufactures, Samsung, LG and Sharp. So your Sony TVs are probably using one their screens.

2. Nov 25, 2012 at 5:20 AM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    42" Vizio LCD - 6 years old - No problems - Nice TV!

I also have a 32" LG LCD and a 51" Samsung Plasma with mo problems but they are only 1 year old.

I never looked at the brand. I bought what was on sale.

3. Nov 25, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    ikillterrorists

ikillterrorists [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    New Paltz, NY
    Vehicle:
    Sold my tacoma, got a Dodge Ram
    TRD Cold air intake Aries Grille Guard Flowmaster American Thunder Dual Exhaust Pro comp 3" suspension lift KMC XD Hoss, BFG KM2 285/75/16 Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator N-Fab Side Steps Access Roll-Up Cover TRD Quick Shifter SafeHitch
    Okay I think I'm leaning more towards a Panasonic VIERA, either 60" or 65". Reviews are all good of course, just wish I knew about the longevity.

4. Nov 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    :rofl: I love that show.

I have been skeptical about Vizio, but like I said I know a few people that have one with no problems. I would rather pay less for a piece of shit than pay more for a piece of shit with a big name on it.

5. Nov 25, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    Taco76087

Taco76087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma prerunner TRD SR5
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs
    Have had Four Samsung Lcd's Currently have three working

two 32'' and one 46'' The one that gave out was 6 years old, but never had any problems before the screen gave out, the colors are crazy.

To replace it I went with a 42'' LG LED 3D and it is awesome

6. Nov 25, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    02sr5trd

02sr5trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donnie
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD 4x4
    Deckplate Mod, AFE Pro Dry filter, Xcelerator 14'' muffler, AAL, 5100's @2.5, Kenwood DD HU, Alpine speakers.
    Samsung!

7. Nov 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    Ive owned 3 samsungs, one 46" LCD ive had for over 5 years and looks just as great as it did when i picked it up. Its moved across the country with me twice and has been strapped in my backseat upside down for thousands of miles. I swear by samsung. I also have a 20" LED i use for deployments. this one ive owned for 3 years and has been to iraq once and afghanistan twice with all the dust its been sandwhiched between random crap and shipped on military aircraft tens of thousands of miles and still works great. I will buy no other TV than samsung. They have the best picture quality and the best reliability.

8. Nov 25, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The biggest problem is if it fails out of warranty, it's more economical to simply buy a new one.

I used to have a breakdown (from 2007 or so) that covered an out of warranty repair on a TV. It was something like $100 for the box if you didn't keep the factory box, then truck freight to ship it, the repair, and return shipping....
    It worked out to something like $1000 to repair a $1200 TV... and of course, by the time the TV is out of warranty, a "better" model will be available cheaper than the original purchase.

The "budget" brands like Vizio simply did not even offer out of warranty repair.

Consumer electronics have been disposable for the better part of 20 years.

9. Nov 25, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    Taco76087

Taco76087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma prerunner TRD SR5
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs
    x2

10. Nov 25, 2012 at 4:53 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    remember, it's 2 inches per size of the screen. so if your tv is 60 inches, your chair/couch/whatever needs to be 120 inches away for optimum tv viewing. otherwise you're either having to focus hard to see everything cause it's too big, or you're squinting to try and see more than you can because it's too small.

or that's always been my tv buying/room organizing principal. :eek:

i kind of gave up on the 2nd season. 1st one i could watch over and over though. i always think of that line when i hear someone talk about a vizio tv however. :laugh:

11. Dec 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I did a ridiculous amount of research when I went to buy my TV - several weeks of constant poring through reviews. I can provide the following information. Keep in mind that this information is about 1 or 2 years old.

-At about 48", there is a transition point. Smaller than that number, go for LCD. Bigger than that number, go for Plasma. This rule is based on a price and screen performance standpoint.

- Unless things have changed, Panasonic is the reigning king of Plasma. Samsung was the king of LCD, but that may need research based on the above comments. Note that Samsung also farms their screens to other manufacturers.

-Although burn-in is not as big of a concern on plasmas as it used to be, it can still be a problem for situations where there is constant images on the screen - TV guide channels, channels with a constant, nontransparent screen graphic, etc. Note that I have a Panasonic plasma, and I haven't had a problem with video games, which often have a constant graphic for stuff like hit points, etc.

I had stumbled upon an A/V forum at one point that was possibly the best source of information I have ever found for TVs. Seriously, these guys did nothing but talk TV. If you are interested in the link, please PM me and I will try to post it up once I get to my home PC.

12. Dec 6, 2012 at 3:10 PM
    Tuctaco

Tuctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD OR 4x4
    Katzkins, Redline hood struts, Pop & Lock,285/75/16 Toyo Open County ATll, 16X8 Konig Countersteer, Icon extended coilovers, Icon rear shocks, Icon progressive leaf pack, LR UCA's, extended brake lines,
    One of the Best TV's around is the Pioneer Kuro. It is pricey but you can't beat the picture and quality.

13. Dec 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    taco terror

taco terror 1st gen = best gen

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    4.56 ECGS regear, Wheelers 6 leaf pack, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s, AR Baja wheels, 33 BFG ATs, Line-x
    We have had pretty good luck with Sharp tv's.

Just Don't buy any of the off-brands such as: phillips, westinghouse, etc.

14. Dec 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    LED LCD is better than LCD, but from my research, couldn't touch the level of blacks you get from plasma... of course you need to remember that my info is a bit dated, and LEDs were the new hotness.

15. Dec 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    The black levels on my 55" Sony HX929, with local dimming, are right on par with the best plasmas out today (most notably, Panasonic's Vieira line of plasmas). You have to see it to believe it :eek:

16. Dec 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    LED is that back lighting behind the LCD panel. Older LCDs used CCFL to illuminated the screen. LED lit screen are less prone to light bleed, more even distribution of light, and less energy consumption.

Plasmas are still arguably better in contrast, and less motion blur. Though today's LCDs are pretty close.

I'm STILL waiting for AMOLED TVs to hit the market. This year should finally have something on the market. With AMOLED, each pixel is made up of the LEDs themselves. This will offer the best contrast, and maybe the best energy savings. If you are sitting in a pitch black room, and your TV has white text centered on a black background. All you will see it the white text, not even the edges of the screen. Any area of the screen that is completely black means the pixels are off, also means they consume no energy. Can't comment on how they deal with fast paced motion, but color accuracy is slight less than LCD, though probably not noticeable in most cases.

17. Dec 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    wareagle1

wareagle1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fayetteville, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra DC 5.7
    notta
    NOT Samsung! Google samsung capacitor issue. More prevalent with their plasmas, but still an issue with LCD's. I know from experience.

18. Dec 6, 2012 at 9:27 PM
    wareagle1

wareagle1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fayetteville, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra DC 5.7
    notta
    Panasonic Viera plasma FTW! Look at Sound and Visions reviews. They're pretty much the benchmark.

19. Dec 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Sony WEGA anyone? LoL

I've had my Samsung Plasma for 4 years now without issues. Thing is a furnace!

20. Dec 6, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My previous 27" CRT was a WEGA

Products Discussed in

To Top