1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

what mods should i go for to improve mpg??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacoma-user, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Oct 15, 2009 at 1:11 AM
    tacoma-user

tacoma-user [OP] Member

Member:
    SD
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport
    hey so i just put a 3 inch leveling kit on the front of my taco, and slapped on some 33 inch tires with some monster XD rims (flat black) taco looks beautiful! i use to get around 350 miles to the tank, and now on a good day when i have to fill up i get 280, im wondering if i re gear my truck how much gas mileage ill gain, and if its a good idea? im really just looking to get my mileage back, and to re gear before thinking about cold air intakes and exhaust kits to boost the mpg a bit more! also does anyone know what re gearing runs around? and the best combo with cold air intake and exhaust? i aint no wizard at this stuff but i know the basics of it all, please fill me in! thanks!

2. Oct 15, 2009 at 1:15 AM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven
    Vehicle:
    '17 Inferno DCSB O/R
    STOCK 4 NOW
    im not too familiar with re-gearing, but putting a cai or exhaust is not going to yield you a significant gain in mpg. the heavier tires are going to cause you to lose a little bit mpg. let me ask you this, are you mutiplying your total mileage by 7%? since your tires are 7% bigger you need to multiply your mileage by that to get an accurate reading. i bet if you do that you will see you did not lose as much mpg as you thought you did.

3. Oct 15, 2009 at 1:22 AM
    tacoma-user

tacoma-user [OP] Member

Member:
    SD
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport
    hmm well ill try that, i just been looking at what i have every time i fill up which seems more often. also had good feeling i was getting less on the fact that my brother has the same truck as me and we went on a road trip with the family with both trucks and i had to stop more often then him. traveling same speed and all.

oh and heres a pic!

IMG_0612.jpg

4. Oct 15, 2009 at 2:20 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Looks good dude.

Honestly, besides keeping your tires properly inflated, timely oil changes, and not having a lead foot, I don't think there is much you can do for MPG.

5. Oct 15, 2009 at 2:53 AM
    baditz

baditz Member

Member:
    FBI or From Big Island HI
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD 6spd V6
    the best mod to do is shoe change. the lead foot is crazy on the gas. ease up on the throttle and do basic tune up (change oil, oil filter, air filter, air in tires, and alignment) every so often. other than that i hear the cheapest and most effective would be the URD maf plug in.

6. Oct 15, 2009 at 4:13 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...These guys got it. The best thing you can do is re-calibrate your skinny pedal foot. You can use a Scanguage or other performance type monitor/computer to track your mpgs real time.

7. Oct 15, 2009 at 6:48 AM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '05 4runner SR5 v8
    also think about this, how much time will it take in gas savings to pay for the regear or other MPG increase mods?! re-gearing is at least $400, most likely 500 or 600. TRD intakes are $350, exhausts are at least $100...thats almost $800 for just that! how long will a 2 mpg increase take to add up to $800 to simply break even? (hint...a LONG time!)

so you lost a few mpgs, if your really concerned about mpgs, then take the lift and tires of...and get a tree loving hippie prius, i hear it has that "new planet smell"....gosh i hate those ads....

8. Oct 15, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    aww1970

aww1970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD Long Box
    Its the tires. when you put the big boots on you lose MPG, no way around it.

I have noticed with the Tacoma that bigger tires, towing a small boat, 400 lbs in the bed, driving into a headwind, all have a drastic effect on MPG. This is comparing it to the Tundra with the 5.7L. I own both than for sure the Tundra gets lower MPG, but hardly effected by my boat, or hauling a load.

9. Oct 15, 2009 at 7:52 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    To add: Are you compensating for the larger tires? The 33's are 7.6% larger, so you need to add that to the ODO before calculating MPG. Re gearing would return the truck to near stock performance, and I recomend a gear change if going up 10% in tire size.

10. Oct 15, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    truck looks awesome! these guys will be better off @ telling you what to do to improve mpg than what I can tell you.

11. Oct 15, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Big tires, wheels and lift kit are the best ways to kill mileage.
    The only other thing you could do is buy M/T or Mudder tires...in addition to costing alot and wearing fast, and terrible pavement performance, they kill mileage.

12. Oct 15, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    aww1970

aww1970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD Long Box
    Look at it this way;

If you meet a girl who is a 10/10 do you think she is going to be a good cook and great housekeeper as well?

You cannot have the best with all scenarios. Your truck looks great but you sacrifice a few mpg's because of it.....

I lost about 2 mpg by putting a canopy on and 265/70/17 BFG AT KO's on, stock suspension right now so there you go.

Like I say this lil V6 is very tempermental when it comes to any resistance, great mileage as a stocker, but big tires, lift, etc, and the mileage really starts to suck.

To Top