1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

what options did you get and are they worth it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NiceGuyEddie, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Dec 2, 2009 at 9:24 AM
    mrzip

mrzip Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Off Road, 2010 Off Road
    Get it all and don't look back, as jbob says "You only live once!" go for it!

2. Dec 2, 2009 at 10:42 AM
    Outlaw

Outlaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    Water Pump, Timing Belt, Sparkplugs, Plastidip Grill emblem
    I often go back and forth on this... I have an '09 TRD Off Road Manual.
    What i wanted in the truck was:
    - longer bed
    - tow package
    - 4x4
    - manual trans
    Now I realize that I could get that stuff without TRD.
    Im having some back problems and thinking about getting an automatic trans because pushing the clutch in seems to aggravate my back. So now thinking if I get a non TRD I can:
    - Get custom sticker for bedside(took off my original TRD OR anyway for one by Sock)(or do without and go de-badged look)
    - Get TSB for Leaf spring and Billstein upgrade ( free under warranty)or get Billstein 5100s or OME suspension all around for some lift
    - Avoid getting BFG Rugged Fails from the get-go and get All Terrains or more aggressive tire(or buy crappy Rugged Fails with rims cheap from TW member who upgraded)

This way I would have the right suspension and better tires, and not missing out on anything that I really wanted, and save a couple thousand bucks.
    So back to it: whats a couple thousand bucks when spending 25 g's or more anyway? Options that you cant afford when you buy the truck with all the other options. If I would have saved a couple grand goind without the TRD, i could get the lift i want, and better tires.
    Im still undecided... dammit! I thought this would help writing it out!!!:confused:

3. Dec 2, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    Robster49

Robster49 Active Member

Member:
    Hayward, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab TRD Off Road
    Icing on the cake that pushed me into a TRD package was the interior. WAY nicer than the base model.

4. Dec 3, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    NiceGuyEddie

NiceGuyEddie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    a dealer had to order 10 trucks today, he ordered mine for when i pull the trigger in january.

5. Dec 3, 2009 at 12:34 PM
    Good351

Good351 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ames, IA
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner V8
    I had a 99 TRD Taco and loved everything about it except that it wasn't a 4 door cab. So when Toyota bought it back I ordered the truck I wanted:

TRD Off Road, 4 door short box, 4wd, Silver.

I used the locker in my old truck so that was the one option I really wanted on this truck.

6. Dec 3, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    09 tacoma trd

09 tacoma trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 black tacoma dbl cab trd sport
    trd sport is the all around truck. i love it

7. Dec 3, 2009 at 5:38 PM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    i owned an 07 sr5 dc 4x4 and i now own an 09 trd or dc 4x4. i loved my 07 it was a great truck. now that i have the 09 trd i dont think i could live without the many upgrades it has compared to the 07. i do alot of off roading so the locker is very handy. as said above the seats are much more comfortable. the back up camera is great(especially when backing up to a trailer).those three upgrades alone make it worth it for me but there is more. the stock suspension(if you plan to keep it stock, i do not) is so much more responsive than the stock sr5. when i go off roading we often do some high speed runs through the trails and it is much easier to control this truck than the sr5.
    I like the trd o.r. but i guess it depends on what you want to do with your truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top