1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What parts are in a 4X4 frame rebuild kit?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by gusotto, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Dec 21, 2009 at 12:56 AM
    gusotto

gusotto [OP] gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab
    I am slated to get a frame rebuild kit for my 2001 Extended Cab 4X4 Tacoma. Probably in January.

I've heard of some of the parts in the kit such as frame, brake lines springs, control arms and misc. hardware.
    I've watched videos on Youtube but they seem to be 2X4 trucks. I have yet to see a 4X4 video.

Info is needed from someone who has gone through the 4X4 rebuild process. I wondered what exactly did they get.

I'm planning ahead for possible replacement of other parts while the truck is torn apart such as shocks, struts, engine or tranny mounts, etc. Are they in the kit? Seems stupid to transfer my old rusty shocks, etc.

My mechanic will let me know when the kit comes in. I'm sure my VIN was sent so the proper parts will be sent with the kit.

Just looking ahead.......
    Thanks for the info.

2. Dec 21, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Are you doing it yourself? The dealer does it for free, why not have them do it? I can understand doing it for the "learning experience" but this is a huge project and it's the frame so there's no room for error.
    Good luck anyway!

3. Dec 21, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    gusotto

gusotto [OP] gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    NOT doing it myself!

The dealer will be doing it but I was wondering what all will be in the many boxes.
    While the truck is apart, I want to take advantage of replacing anything that is easy while out of the truck.
    The dealer recommends taking advantage of the reduced labor.

Example.... I'll replace the clutch while the tranny is out. Easier!
    Are the shocks in the kit or not?
    It makes sense to put nice new shocks on instead of transplanting the old shocks. Quicker and easier.

Etc., etc....... Trying to make it like new.

4. Dec 21, 2009 at 9:06 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    good idea! the dealer should know..

5. Dec 22, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    greisinb

greisinb New Member

Member:
    Hello, new to the forum but started looking about a month ago as I was bringing my 2001 Extended Cab 4x4 in for the frame inspection. It failed and they are replacing the frame, get to go in today to pick the truck back up (3 weeks later)! The frame kit includes new leaf springs, but no shock absorbers. I opted to buy new ones because the labor was covered under the frame replacement warranty. Also I had them replace the timing belt and water pump because a portion of the labor was covered. I was digging around another post and stumbled across a PDF on exactly what parts are covered, of course I can't find it now but I'll check up and post it when/if I find it.

As a tip for you: Toyota is obligated to give you a pickup truck if you ask for it under the terms of this recall. They gave me a Yaris and I managed for about 3 days before I needed a truck for work/hobbies. They arranged for one and I got a 2010 RAM 4x4 to bomb around in for the past 3 weeks. Good because the day after I got it we here in Wisconsin got socked with a huge blizzard!

2nd Tip: Stay on top of your dealer for parts replacement! The service writer left me a message one afternoon to recommend the timing belt and shock absorbers be replaced and when I talked to her the next morning she told me that they were already putting the vehicle back together so they could not honor the prices. I threw a fit and called the service manager over (who I had the good sense to send a Christmas card to!) and he said that they would indeed honor the prices even though the vehicle was already mostly assembled.

Good luck and I'l post more as more comes to light!

6. Dec 22, 2009 at 11:48 AM
    greisinb

greisinb New Member

Member:
    Found it!

This post at Advrider (Adventure Motorcycle Rider) has all of the parts that are replaced in the frame. It was scanned and posted by a Toyota Tech, you will find the list in about the middle of the page. I typed in the part numbers to get a rough idea of the cost and by my (very) simple estimate the parts run about 4500 dollars, plus about 3 full days labor (according to my dealer).

On another note there are a fair number of YouTube videos showing frame replacements on Tacoma’s, I watched a few and thought:

1) Its kind of incredible that you can even do such a thing. They basically have to dismantle the entire vehicle and its odd seeing it so "naked." I hope the tech knows what he/she is doing when its being put back together, that stuff is assembled by robots for a reason! (Not all of it, I know!)

2) Most of the comments seem to be somewhere along the line of "Jap trucks suck!" and I have to chuckle to myself because the frame is made by an American company (Dana) and this recall might damn near bankrupt them (again). Not that I absolve Toyota of the blame for accepting those parts, ultimately I place the blame on Toyota because it's their product, people, service, and engineering that I have to deal with and depend on.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518533&page=5

7. Dec 22, 2009 at 4:15 PM
    gusotto

gusotto [OP] gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    greisinb....
    Thanks for the info. Good write-up.
    I'm pumped for the replacement.
    I'll get the shocks and other items replaced when they have it apart.
    I'm not far from the dealer so I'll drop in to check on progress.
    The mechanic who will do the job is suppose to call me if he spots anything questionable.
    I'll do the shocks, brakes, belts, hoses, clutch, etc., etc.

Labor saving because they'll already have it apart.

Thanks for the parts list. Now all I have to do is figure out what they are.

8. Dec 22, 2009 at 7:30 PM
    gusotto

gusotto [OP] gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:

I did some PN checking on line with the parts list.
    I was able to find the MSRP and "my" cost as a customer.

MSRP was $6,126.23 for the parts.
    My cost (customer off the street) was $4,599.24
    Tax or shipping was not included.

With the techs labor, I'm getting a deal.
    Toyota is stepping up to base with a good offer on replacing the frame.

9. Dec 23, 2009 at 10:08 PM
    greisinb

greisinb New Member

Member:
    It certainly seems like a deal alright, the service manager said that they get to bill 60 hours of labor for the job, that plus the parts they put more in to my truck then its worth! So far everything seems OK with the repair job, it's odd looking under the vehicle and seeing both parts that look like they are a decade old with 100K miles on them right next to a shiny new frame and suspension parts. Just got new tires on it too and I can only imagine what the tech was thinking when he put it up on the lift.

10. Dec 26, 2009 at 6:21 PM
    Air_Ops

Air_Ops Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    N.W. VT
    Vehicle:
    01 Ltd Dbl Cab
    TRD Headers, Cat Back Exhaust, Airaid Intake Tube, LC Engineering Throttle Body Gasket, Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, Wheeler's Add-A-Leaf, LC Engineering Tundra Brake Kit, Re-Framed
    Frame
    Lower Front control Arms
    Rear Leaf Springs
    Front to Rear Brake Lines
    Brake Propotioning Valve
    New Coolant
    Brake Fluid

Items to consider, due to reduced labor charges.

Shocks
    Upper Control Arms or Upper Control Arm Bushings
    Front Springs
    Steering Rack Bushings (Energy Suspension)
    Upper and/or lower Ball Joints
    Coolant Hoses

I did all of the above plus heavy duty braided brake lines and the front brake lines. The brake lines and steering rack bushings came from Wheeler's. I figure the truck will be good for another 8 years with routine maintenance.

Products Discussed in

To Top