1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What price to ASK for a 2001 4x4??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tag, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Dec 26, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    tag

tag [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I'm selling my 2001 Tacoma 4x4 regular cab so I can buy a new 2010 version. The '01 is bone stock with little or no options other than AC and alloy wheels. I'm the original owner. It's in pretty good shape other than some heavy (very heavy) suface rust on the frame, new muffler and new tires. It has 65,000 miles on it and runs great. What should I ask for it? Dealer will probabaly give me squat but I'm going to get a trade in offer anyway. I plan on using the money I get from the sale as a downpayment on the 2010 Tacoma. I've never sold a used vehicle before so any tips on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Dec 26, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    arsolo

arsolo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Lynnwood, Washington
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 2.7 4x4
    Brute Force Fab Sliders, Brute Force Front & Rear Bumpers, OME 886 coils, OME Nitrocharger Shocks front and Rear, Icon Progressive AAL, Desert Products Upper Control Arms, Rims, Doug Thorley Header, Borla Muffler, Tinted Windows, Shaved Badges, OEM Fog Lights, Chrome Exterior Mirror Covers, K&N Intake and Filter, Chrome Exhaust Tip, OEM Bug Shield, Tinted Tail Lights, CB, Ebay projector headlights, Shitoshi Grill W/foglights.
    look up similar ones in your area on craiglist, and check KBB. Once you get a rough estimate at what they are going for in your area, post for a little more then you feel your truck is worth and let them talk you down to a price you feel comfortable with.

Dont ever answer the question "How much would you let it go for?" or similar questions about price, just tell them you are looking for the best offer and your in no rush to sell. Answering any other question is good and recommended. like maintenance records, why your selling, ect...

Remember that you don't have to sell to the first offer you get or even sell at all. Your in control of your truck and don't be pushed around by people looking to buy and get a great deal.

3. Dec 26, 2010 at 1:10 PM
    tag

tag [OP] Active Member

Member:
    There are zero available on craiglist anywhere near me. No dealers have any either. The frame rust buyback probably took many off the road because I live in a high road salt area. I washed the heck out of mine had it rust stop oil treated so that's why mine is still around I guess.
    KBB lists three prices: dealer retail, trade in value and private party sale.

Dealer Trade in $5125
    Private Party Sale $6715
    Retail Value (in Excellent conditon which mine is NOT due to frame and some very minor bumper rust) $8385

Maybe ask say $7000 or so and haggle between $6500 and $7000?? Thanks!

4. Dec 26, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    tacod

tacod Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kemblesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    '04 Xtra V6 TRD 4x4
    take it in to the dealer for frame inspection? if it fails, new frame; if it passes, they should coat it (solving your rust problem). iirc, you should have until the end of the month to take it in.

5. Dec 26, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    tag

tag [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Been there, done that. They hit it with a hammer and said it was good to go! I'm not kidding you. Had it in twice, two different dealers and a letter from Toyota HQ. Dealer NEVER offered to undercoat it. Said the frame was "in good shape" and even gave me a letter saying so! I sent snail mail pixs of the frame to Toyota HQ also. No reply. If there are not holes in the frame, they pass it. Since I rust stop oil undercoated it every year, it prevented the rust from perforating the frame. Otherwise, I'd have a new frame or truck by now. No dealer within 300 miles of my house has an '01 tacoma for sale. None. None are listed on ebay or craiglist either. They don't exist up here in the "rust belt".

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Dec 26, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    Sounds reasonable....let it rip.

Products Discussed in

To Top