1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Rear End(s) Are Compatible? 1995 Toyota Tacoma

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Brandmid, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Mar 20, 2010 at 3:23 PM
    Brandmid

Brandmid [OP] New Member

Member:
    I bought bought a 95 tacoma 2wd 4 cylinder 5 speed, the rear end is clunking hard when i left off the gas with the truck in gear, I'm trying to find out how many vehicles are out there that I can use the rear end out of, Can anyone help me with this?

2. Mar 20, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    noSKills858

noSKills858 battlescars

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Poway, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 5-lug Prerunner
    Couple shocks, some old tires, and a bad paint job
    Pre-taco, s-runner, ford 8.8 rear ends will work if you're talking about 5-lug. Otherwise, figure out what's wrong with your rear end, typically it's a problem with the 3rd and gears so you don't have to replace the whole thing. Unless you bent your axle than I would figure out what's causing the problem instead of wasting time buying a whole new housing and 3rd.

3. Mar 21, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    Brandmid

Brandmid [OP] New Member

Member:
    What is a "pumpkin" lol I'm new to this and don't know much, Also the local pull a part sells complete rear ends for like 100 bucks w/ 30 day warranty, That's why I just wanted to find out what rear ends were a direct swap.

4. Mar 21, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    Sparky4.0

Sparky4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    a pumpkin is the drop out 3rd member. your driveshaft connects to the chunk of metal thats bolted into your axle housing with 10-12 bolts or whatever it is. check your d shaft u joints also. then pull the 3rd member out to inspect b4 spending coin.

5. Mar 21, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    Brandmid

Brandmid [OP] New Member

Member:
    I did check the driveshaft there was no play what-so-ever

And if I could just replace the whole rear end for 100 bucks if I could find one at the pull a part wouldn't that be the cheapest route? I talked to someone and he said whatever has went wrong in there won't be cheap to fix

6. Mar 21, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    Sparky4.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    ok. rule out the d shaft then.. how does whoever you talked to know it wont be a cheap fix? untill you pull it out for inspection you dont really know. the $100 replacement might be a good route. if its not about to shell on you.

7. Mar 21, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    Brandmid

Brandmid [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm not sure, He just said when they get to sounding like that there is no cheap way out...

Here is what is happening, When I'm under like 20 25 mph the rear end don't make any sound, Whenever I'm in gear and cruising with my foot on the gas sometimes it will wine but not always and then when I left off of the gas with the truck in gear is sounds just like a jake brake on a 18-wheeler, If I take the truck out of gear and just coast it will only lightly click?

8. Mar 21, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    Sparky4.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    drop the gear oil (look for metal)(or chunks) check wheel bearings and rear brakes. then pull the 3rd member out. look for obvious damage to the ring and pinion/ spider gears (assuming its an open diff) carrier bearings/pinion bearings /axle shaft splines etc etc.....

Products Discussed in

To Top