1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What should I do with my tires

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 450rider, Mar 30, 2012.

?

which tire option to choose?

Poll closed Apr 29, 2012.
  1. 33x12.50r15 with billys and eibach coils

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 265/75/16 with billys and eibach coils

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Probably new 265/75/16

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. 31x10.50r15 and factory alloy rims

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mar 30, 2012 at 1:49 AM
    450rider

450rider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 SR5 Maroon
    Leveling Kit, K&N Filter, Rockford Fosgate speakers, mono block amp, 4 channel amp, capacitor, sub and both amp kits and a Pioneer DVD player By-passed
    So me having a very nice grandma is going to give me 500 for tires and my dad is also going to give me some money. Right now i have a set of tires with very little tread on 16's. so here is my question should i:

1.get used 33x12.50r15 my grandma and dad buy the tires and i would buy some billy's, eibach coils and add a leafs.

2.get used possibly new 265/75/16 tires and use my own rims (they look ok) with the lift again out of my own money.

3.get used probably new 265/75/16 tires and use my own rims (they look ok)

4.get new 31x10.50r15 the rims would be factory alloy rims

p.s. My truck has 241000 miles on it. The tires would be either km2's or duratrac's. Also my dad thinks i should not get the lift and stay with my leveling kit. One more thing I am half way through my junior year of high school and when I go to collage I am going to sell my truck:(

2. Mar 30, 2012 at 3:19 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    If you are without a doubt going to sell it, I would just put good enough tires on it to get you by, while still having enough tread to be able to sell the truck quickly. Tires are expensive and buyers like to know that they don't have to buy tires as soon as they buy the truck.

3. Mar 30, 2012 at 4:37 AM
    98Woodrow

98Woodrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 reg cab

The end of your post tells the story. Why spend $$ on high-end tires and a lift of you are going to sell it in about 16 mos.? Get some tires that will get you thru and save the lift $ (which you will NOT get back when you sell a truck with 250k on it) for college beer/pizza/women.

4. Mar 30, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Agree with all the above replies. I'd just go with some decent tyres on the rims you have and not bother with the lift if you are going to sell it to soon. If the rims are a bit natty then paint them. Loads of threads on here on how to do that. Will give them and the truck a fresh look without a lot of coin.

Word to the wise on used tyres. You can get some good bargains on used tyres, but you may also be buying problems with them. If the vehicle they came off of had any suspension problems etc. then they may have issues with uneven wear. Then you have to ask, why are they being replaced by the original owner? Cracks, can't get them to balance, cupped, damage, leaks etc.

Sounds like you will have enough money to get a decent set of tyres new. I'd go that route. Pay attention to the ratings on them and look at reviews on Tirerack.com on the ones you are interested in. When looking at reviews try to look more for people who have put some decent miles on them so you get a truer feel for how good the tyres are in general. You can do a sort in the reviews for mileage. Go with a tyre store that will take care of you if you have problems. For my part I go to Discount more often than not. Issues with tyre balance, no charge, rotate tyres, no charge. Bought some wheels from them once and 18 months later one of the chrome caps lost some of its finish and a body shop repair tech damaged another putting it on crooked. Ordered expecting to pay for them, popped them on no charge. Lot to be said for service and taking care of potential problems with your purchase. That can't be said with buying used.

If you do want to spend additional money on the truck before you sell it then concentrate on maintenance. Fix things that need fixing. You could spend a little on cleaning the truck up and fixing small cosmetic issues that may effect the condition/price when it comes time to sell as well. Don't go overboard. Little things can often make a huge difference.

Careful paint touch up, replace/repair interior pieces that are damaged or missing, get the engine and drive train clean and leak free. Fix any bodgy wiring jobs. Nothing turns me off on buying a vehicle more than if I see a bunch of hacked up wiring and crappy switches everywhere. Just the basics of having a good clean detailed truck.

From my experience, you rarely get your money out of modifications to a vehicle. In fact, when looking for a vehicle, I often pass up vehicles that have had too many modifications done to them. I prefer one that is closer to stock and has been well maintained over one that someone has put a bunch of aftermarket stuff on it. I always wonder about the quality of work, if the modifications were well thought out and work together (or is the seller trying to get rid of the vehicle because they can't get it to work right or make the vehicle terrible to drive daily), quality of the pieces used etc. etc.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

5. Mar 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM
    450rider

450rider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 SR5 Maroon
    Leveling Kit, K&N Filter, Rockford Fosgate speakers, mono block amp, 4 channel amp, capacitor, sub and both amp kits and a Pioneer DVD player By-passed
    Thanks for the help guys. I think I am going to try and get new 265/75/16 duratrac's because they seem to last longer than the km2's.

Products Discussed in

To Top