1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

what solar power station that you would recommed wihle camping?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by yargo, Feb 9, 2023.

1. Feb 9, 2023 at 1:56 AM
    yargo

yargo [OP] New Member

Member:
    what solar power station that you would recommed wihle camping?

2. Feb 25, 2023 at 2:38 PM
    EllieEstrellado

EllieEstrellado Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brooke
    San Diego
    GFC camper shell & truck bed bike mounts added
    We recently tried the SolarSaga 100 which pairs with Jackery but it’s just a nice-to-have add-on, not necessarily a full power station.

CF541731-47D1-4CEF-9AFB-86B334E54423.jpg
    B086D456-05AE-489D-9326-FE1AE146C924.jpg
    ACC089A5-6D24-4AEE-BED2-B13FB979A3E4.jpg

tugboat_marty likes this.
  3. Mar 4, 2023 at 11:09 AM
    EricOutside

EricOutside Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NW Washington
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Sport 4x4
    Home-built roof rack for spotting platform and/or kayaks & bikes & stuff. Home built bed drawers Firestone Ride-Rite airbags on the rear for level camp trailer towing
    Ditto. We bought a package from Costco that came with a 200w and 800w Jackery along with two folding 100w solar panels. I then added an MPPT charge controller so the solar panels can be used to charge the wet cell batteries in our travel trailer or the truck.

Similar to this:
    https://www.costco.com/jackery-expl...0w-solar-generator-kit.product.100837145.html

4. Mar 4, 2023 at 2:05 PM
    essjay

essjay Part-Time Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5 (V6/AC/4WD)
    Same, except with a Jackery 550. Got the solar panel mostly for the rare trip where the truck is sitting stationary for multiple days.

5. Mar 4, 2023 at 5:09 PM
    MR5X5

MR5X5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Really depends on what you plan to run with it and for what duration.

6. Mar 4, 2023 at 9:54 PM
    Pointeman

Pointeman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2013 Pyrite Mica Tacoma DCLB
    6" Fabtech Amp Research hydraulic steps Front Runner Cab Rack Leer 100xr topper w/rails 17” Black Rhino Warlords Dark Tint 295/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    Costco ran a sale on the Ecoflow’s. We picked up an EcoFlow Delta and a couple solar panels. It’s a nice unit for us. Charges fast when plugged into the wall. We use it to run our Traeger Scout, charge our laptops, phones, electric kettle, etc. Eventually it will power a fridge. it’s a larger unit with dual fans that are a little loud but not obnoxious. Reviews are good but early reports say they may not last as many cycles before output declines as other generators. We will see…so far it’s performing nicely.
    03B9A7B1-4687-4DF7-887E-4C741858F811.jpg

P8trit likes this.
  7. Mar 4, 2023 at 11:04 PM
    INSAYN

INSAYN Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNWet, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR DCSB 6MT 4x4...'97 Taco XtraCab 5MT 4x4
    DIY Fabricobbler.
    Long story, so stick with me.....

Any solar generator system will most likely work just fine. They are all built fairly similarly, with some having more or less features, more or less robust.

Some major things to consider regardless.

1. How long is the warranty?

2. And MOST importantly, what services will the brand provide when your warranty is over?

Here is my experience so far.

Started out with a Jackery Explorer 1000 and charged off my truck D/C and later installed the 400W anytime circuit and then charged off that.

Shortly thereafter, I added 200W of solar to the roof and this kept the Jackery topped off during the day without issue while running my 37Q ARB fridge.

Here's where it goes south.

Two months out of warranty (a 2 yr warranty), I am prepping my truck the night before to head out with Edward Shin to Mt Hood for an overnighter now that Shadow 2.0 was fixed after sliding off the road.

Anywho... Got the fridge and Jackery all setup in my passenger back seat and running sometime around 8pm. Went out at midnight to toss a few more items in the fridge and found it OFF. Same with the Jackery.

From that moment forward the Jackery still does not turn on. I did the trip with the fridge running of the truck's D/C just fine.

Back home, I tried absolutely everything known to the world to reset, recharge, etc and nada. No worky.

Contacted Jackery about what my options are for repair services in the USA. I am not looking for warranty work, just repair work on my dime. Was basically told to kick rocks. They have ZERO repair facilities in the USA and ZERO plans to create any. I now have a $1000 brick that has perfectly fine batteries, just no way to turn them on.

Screw them! Never again!

Contacted EcoFlow as the Delta 2 looked about equivalent in price, but loaded with many more features. And to boot, a 5 year warranty, AND a repair facility in Texas.

Done!

1) Excellent customer service, 1000%.
    2) Crazy fast charge rate on household A/C input. All charge rates are customizable.
    3) App for Bluetooth / WiFi connection.
    4) Expandable.
    5) Free software updates, downloaded via
    the app.

Also picked up one of their 220W bifacial waterproof folding solar panels for use when I want to park in the shade and still need to charge during the day while camping.

Bottomline....

At the prices that these things go for, contact as many companies as you see fit, ask about warranties, extended warranties, after warranty repair options, etc.

Some names to contact and gauge against each other in no particular order.

*Jackery
    *EcoFlow
    *Bluetti
    *GoelZero
    *OUPES
    *Geneverse (eerily similar to Jackery)
    *Anker

Many many other brands, I just didn't see much for details worth pursuing.

As for my Jackery 1000, it's a good unit. Just a company that used the hell out of many YouTube influencers to advertise all the functions/use, but never touch on what happens after your (short 2 yr) warranty expires and needs a repair.

If a repair center ever pops up that can repair Jackery units, I'll look at getting it fixed. It's something in the front control board as it has full juice to the board, nothing coming out.
    :angrygirl:

EricOutside likes this.
  8. Mar 4, 2023 at 11:30 PM
    Sunsetsearider

Sunsetsearider Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR/1998 5 Lug
  9. Mar 4, 2023 at 11:37 PM
    MNMLST

MNMLST Well-Known Member

Member:
    Earth
    tinfoil lined cab runflat headlights pee-thru seats

so…..

about 2000 bags of ice.

INSAYN[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Mar 4, 2023 at 11:53 PM
    Desert Dog

Desert Dog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Gatos
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB
    Work in progress
    Went with the Goal Zero 500 with 100 W solar panel so wifey can run her CPAC at night. Takes 2-3 hours to recharge in the morning but CPAC can go 2 to 3 days without recharging

Bought the Goal Zero at a local REI using one of their 20% one item coupon. A week after we bought the solar panel, it went on sale while we were camping in NV. I took my receipt back to the Reno REI and they refunded the 20% on the panel even though we bought it at a different store in a different state.

Comes with a 1 year warrantee. Chose REI because they said I could bring it in for exchange at any REI store if there is an problem during the warranty period.

11. Mar 5, 2023 at 9:04 AM
    INSAYN

INSAYN Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNWet, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    DIY Fabricobbler.

Yup! :facepalm:

MNMLST[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Mar 5, 2023 at 6:35 PM
    Philrab

Philrab Curator of useless knowledge

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2015 Pyrite Mica Quad Cab Prerunner
    Bunch of Basic Taco mods.
    Assuming you tried hard rebooting the Jackery? Press and hold the display button and DC/USB button for 8 seconds, might get its mind right.

13. Mar 5, 2023 at 7:48 PM
    INSAYN

INSAYN Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNWet, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    DIY Fabricobbler.
    As I said in my initial comment, I tried absolutely everything many many times. I tried every combination of buttons and time of holding buttons down.

Since it's out of warranty, I took it apart and tested it. Fully charged battery power going into the front board. Nothing comes back out.

Probably just hang onto it until Jackery or some secondary outfit comes along that provides repairs I'll look at getting it fixed.

But for now, I do NOT recommend buying and supporting Jackery just because of their lack of repair options once out of warranty. Otherwise, they seemed to be built pretty solid.

Philrab[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Mar 6, 2023 at 9:00 AM
    mic_sierra

mic_sierra Toshiba HDDVD is the future

Member:
    Elsewhere
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 Auto
    ^ This 100%.

It all depends on what you are running. I have a portable 120W panel with a PWM charge controller feeding two group 24F lead-acid batteries. I can run for a day without charging (that is working for 9 or 10 hours with my Starlink up [fed by my Xantrex 1kW inverter], my ICECO fridge set to ~30 deg, and my vent fan running on medium or high to keep the interior of the teardrop cool, and my work laptop). A few questions you need to answer....
    1. How long will you be out camping?
    2. What are your charging alternatives if the sun isn't out or you are at a spot in the shade?
    3. What are you looking to run / charge / recharge?

15. Mar 6, 2023 at 11:39 AM
    infantry317

infantry317 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD OR
    None yet
    I just got one also but haven't used it yet. Sucks it doesn't come with a charger or have a percentage readout but the price is right.

16. Mar 6, 2023 at 3:01 PM
    Toyoda213

Toyoda213 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2003 V6 dlbc Prerunner 4x4 converted
    thats a good deal. I love REI

Products Discussed in

To Top