1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What the ****

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lonecountryboy, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Sep 1, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    not bashing but shall we say bringing to light problems they have known about and still build into their truck.

nothing regarding his problems all separate issues that imho in the 6th year of a certain model vehicle should have been remedied. seeing as how my truck sat bone stock 2 months after i got it and i had the squeaky climate control fan a horrible throwout bearing issue and a terrible clutch all common complaints about the 4cylinder tacos and my truck had let's say between 3 and 5k before all these problems showed themselves.

i never started a complain thread about them i got them fixed or i except them.
    i also was a service write at a new ca dealer for like 5 years and have worked in or around the car business for just over 20 and i personally never had a new vehicle with this many issues before my first oil change.

i was just trying to illustrate to the new guy there are thing that imo toyota has done wrong and problems like his that originated at the dealership level it was just a comparison baby truck. i love my toyota and by the time i'm done with her i will have spent more in beefing her up than the truck cost me to buy new i would not do that to a truck that i did not think would go the distance.

thanks you elvis has left the building..

2. Sep 1, 2011 at 8:55 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    That's no joke. My certified pre owned 2010 with 10k miles were missing the fog light bulbs. Just the bulbs. Somebody forgot to actually check the lights on that 637683726 point inspection. Im sure they didn't check shit, except change the oil.

3. Sep 1, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    06RadiantRed

06RadiantRed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    CA-Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road - RadRed!!
    ICON ext. Travel Coilovers, TC UCAs, Fox 2.0 FJ Rear Shox + 2"AAL rear
    Yup what he said.

I know it sucks having to put money into a truck you just bought, but if these bearings are the only things going on, i would say fix it and enjoy the truck.

How many of you guys have wheel bearings with OVER 100k on them?

4. Sep 1, 2011 at 9:11 PM
    samer312

samer312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Alexandria VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement TRD OR
    I have 96k on my 05, need new shocks and have a good amount of rust, but besides that I'm all good

5. Sep 1, 2011 at 9:21 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd

Understood. :) I totally understand the frustration. I have the same year as you do, so I can feel you in that aspect. But I also am confident that this Toyota will service me a lot longer than if it were another brand.

6. Sep 2, 2011 at 7:53 AM
    lonecountryboy

lonecountryboy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    You know some of you are telling me to get over it but if I wanted this kind of quality control I would have bought a dodge or ford. It is not the dealer that I have a problem with it is Toyota not addressing known issues and fixing them. That differential side bearing is a horrible design but from what I understand it is still being used. I have owned a lot of yotas everyone has been solid granted this is the newest one and I am very disappointed that there quality has fallen so far. I am also hearing some ugly rumors about my wifes 05 Highlander with the 2.4L in it, it looks like the head bolts are pulling out of the block and trashing the motor so once again Toyota is not stepping up and taking care of the problem. As far as being a new guy I have been working in the mechanic field for some time, now just on the weekends when I need some mad money so for all you out there bashing me concentrate on the problems I listed and not me these are legitimate concerns that should have been addressed already by Toyota they haven't been and that is what really concerns me the most.

7. Sep 2, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Dakar heavy springs, sumo bump stops, with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker, ARE Topper
    /\ /\ /\ What God said Plus whoever mentioned the trucks history... Ding ding ding. Did you do a carfax/carfox? This truck could have been treated like a baby or it could have had 30 owners with one including being a fleet vehicle which I have seen.

:deadhorse:

8. Sep 2, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    WV150

WV150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Trifecta Tonneau Cover
    Good point. I think I would be checking my other gear boxes for milky fluid which would indicate running througt high water or being in a flood.If the dealer bought this truck at a auction it may have seen a lot of abuse.If it was used for off roading I would expect these problems at 95,000 miles or before on any brand truck. Heck, I bought a new F150 and a rear differential brg. went out at 30,000 miles and 80% of those miles were interstate and it never saw high water or abuse of any kind.

9. Sep 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    lonecountryboy

Member:
    yes i did a carfax and the dealer provided a service history on the truck. I crawled underneath and looked for the telltale mud in the cracks doesn't look like it has ever been offroaded as far as the wheel bearings "wearing" if they start having problems with only 95K then toyota needs to switch vendors and as far as the diff bearing goes there is no lift on the truck it is just a bad design. I am not the only one with these complaints you need to read not just this forum and just this thread these are known issues and they have not been addressed.

10. Sep 2, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Dakar heavy springs, sumo bump stops, with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker, ARE Topper
    :ohsnap:

So did you come here for some answers or to just bash Tacos Junior?

11. Sep 2, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    06RadiantRed

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    CA-Bay Area
    Vehicle:

Damnit God. Half the people who lift their trucks that get this vibe from the front diff bearing going out, get it immediately after they lift it. As in the first drive post lift they notice it. The bearing was shot before the lift, its just not noticable because your CV angle is nearly flat.

But yes fix the few issues you see here, as they are the common ones and be done with it. I see where you are coming from about the toyota quality. And i think everyone who has these issues is on your same page. I am just as annoyed as you are about the bearings since i had all 3 you have had go out. It sucks and Toyota should fix it, but they just continue to ignore it. We all would love for them to step up and be proactive about fixing things like this. But all the bitching that has happened about these things still has not changed anything. The same diff problem seems to persist through all 7 years of the 2nd gen so I have little faith that they would admit any wrong doing and risk having to replace that many diffs. I feel like its one of those situations where if you dig your self deep enough into a lie, you can stop.. They waited too long to address it.

12. Sep 2, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    JEA86

JEA86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road
    i mean the truck has 95k miles... probably none of that stuff had been replaced and whoever done the "point" inspection did not "really" do a good job. But if that stuff had never been replaced it is almost at 100k miles stuff wears out.. i dont feel that the fault lies in the truck itself just the person that done the inspection on it. i dont feel a good job was done in catchign the flaws, just my opinion

13. Sep 2, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    X2

14. Sep 2, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    Bottom line here is your dealer screwed you by selling a vehicle as certified that wasn't fully inspected. Or they found the issues and decided to put one over on the customer.

EVERY SINGLE vehicle line/model/generation out there has problems that they are known for. This generation Tacoma happens to be known for wheel bearings, diff bearings and some minor stuff.

Unit style wheel bearings fail on 4x4 vehicles. It's a crap design and gets even crappier if you add weight to the front of the vehicle, bigger tires or higher offset wheels. Do you think you'll escape wheel bearing problems with Ford, GM, Dodge or Nissan? THINK AGAIN.

Diff bearing issues? Yeah it sucks but be glad you're not dealing with the 4L65E issues GM has had the last few years. Or the 6.0 diesel issues from Ford. Or the wiring/AC/transmission nightmares customers with Chrysler products deal with.

15. Sep 2, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    I believe the average amount a person spends on a used car after purchase is $1000. Anything from tires to batteries, A/C system parts, filters, belts, wheel bearings, etc. So, if that is the avarage, you came out pretty well. I would also believe most used Toyotas purchased would fall below average...:cool: So, even if Toyota has slipped in the quality dept., which I really have not seen much with my truck, does it really look like Toyotas suck? As others have mentioned, the dealer you pruchased it from should do the repairs if its only been a week or so especially if they used the inspection in the sales pitch. Take your complaint directly to the Service Mgr and give him hell...:D

16. Sep 2, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    first off, its not toyota's fault. it's the dealers fault. you decided to get a cheap truck, you get what you pay for. and like previously stated, who knows what the previous owner did....

17. Sep 2, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Dealership's are not reputable. That's why I like buying from the actual owner; you get to see the Bonehead that owns it and size up how the vehicle has been treated and he may have receipts for any service.
    images_8fb7a5952511b909d15d11371e1dff0fc5b36d5c.jpg

18. Sep 2, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    OP. Toyota Corporate doesn't read this forum. You're airing your dirty laundry out here and getting mad when we respond negatively to it.

If you were seriously concerned about these issues, then you would be trying to get in touch with Toyota to express your concerns directly with them.

19. Sep 2, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    lonecountryboy

Member:
    you know as well as I do that complaining to a mega corporation is like pissing in the wind the only way it makes a difference is if enough people complain and usually you have to get lawyers involved.
    So on another note once all these bearings are replaced and the problems resolved did they reoccur or are you now happy with your truck? I have always been a big Yota fan just last night I was a little steamed and letting off some steam I do like the truck I just want to know if these "problems" are going to plague this year truck. From what I have gathered they seem to be pretty problem free after these issues are resolved which is a relief so we will see how it goes from here.

20. Sep 2, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    06RadiantRed

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    CA-Bay Area
    Vehicle:

I have been problem free for 10k miles since i replaced those 3. Who knows how long the diff bearing will last, but so far so good. I would imagine you will be ready to enjoy the truck for quite a while before anything else comes up.

Products Discussed in

To Top