1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

what to ask when buying a taco

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mobious212, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Mar 16, 2016 at 7:12 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Saturday is long past. Are you rocking a Taco or not? We're waiting for pictures!

2. Mar 16, 2016 at 7:23 AM
    mobious212

mobious212 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    99 Pre- Runner V6 TRD
    It's a long story but the uncle dropped the truck off at my house I travel for work so I'm gonna have to wait till this Friday to see he told my wife to give him 4 for it but I can't make an offer on something I haven't seen and I'm trying my wife to send me pictures and details so hopefully I'll get more info today

3. Mar 16, 2016 at 6:55 PM
    mobious212

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    99 Pre- Runner V6 TRD
  4. Mar 16, 2016 at 6:57 PM
    mobious212

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    99 Pre- Runner V6 TRD
    Honestly i dont feel good about it also if its a TRD shouldent it be 4x4.

5. Mar 16, 2016 at 7:14 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Prerunners are 2wd and also came with the optional TRD package.

I had a '99 Prerunner years ago with a locker and I loved it. The locker compensates some for it not being a 4x4 But if you truly need 4wd then you should hold out for one.

6. Mar 16, 2016 at 7:23 PM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    Frame looks like a no no

7. Mar 16, 2016 at 7:24 PM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    If you don't feel good about it, there's nothing wrong with passing on it. Usually, you're gut is always right.

8. Mar 16, 2016 at 7:25 PM
    mobious212

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    99 Pre- Runner V6 TRD
    yea it looks like theres alot of surface rust on it and if its on the rims aswell that cant be good

9. Mar 16, 2016 at 11:47 PM
    Obsessed2000

Obsessed2000 Just a big dummy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NC/VA line
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4x4 3.4
    Deck plate mod Bilsteins All pro leaf springs All pro greasable shackles Camburg UCA Interior Led conversion Tundra TRD springs Extended SS brake lines Seat covers 33" yokos White herculined exterior
    I can't really tell if the rust is really an issue. Honestly from what I can see with the pics that might just be all surface, and my rims were jacked when I bought my truck which had little frame rust. Bottom line though if you want 4x4 than pass on it. The TRD does compensate like eon_blue said but not the same in the end. There will always be others.

10. Mar 17, 2016 at 4:02 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    You said nothing about needing 4x4. You stated you needed a 15 minute to work commuter, and something to use as a modest hauler of stuff on the weekend. This truck meets that criteria.

If the frame passes the crawl under the truck visual inspection and ball peen test I mentioned above, it's not an issue.

The inside of the bed is not an issue. It's an actual used truck. For how you want to use it, it's pre-aged for you.

I thought those wheels were alloy? If so, that's not wheel rust, but some other type of staining from something that has sat on them.

It has a dirty interior and faded paint. For how you'll use it, do you really care? If so, a couple of weekends of elbow grease will make it 10x better looking. I'm pretty sure there is no clear coat on that color in that year, meaning the paint can be brought back up to a nice shine. If you take a rag with some wax and rub a small faded spot, and the rag turns red, you'll know I'm correct.

It's in your hands. Easy to have someone perform that mechanical/frame inspection for you as I suggested earlier. A few bucks for self assurance well spent. Saying all that because you've already stated you're not a car guy...............

If it passes an inspection (or only has small things to be addressed) and you don't need 4wd, it's quite likely the best find you'll make for $4k.

11. Mar 17, 2016 at 9:44 AM
    Obsessed2000

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NC/VA line
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4x4 3.4
    Deck plate mod Bilsteins All pro leaf springs All pro greasable shackles Camburg UCA Interior Led conversion Tundra TRD springs Extended SS brake lines Seat covers 33" yokos White herculined exterior
    Not to step on anyone's toes, or get in a pissing contest. For a 2x4, these things are a dime a dozen. Do not think you can't/wont find others out there for that price or less. If it were TRD 4x4 yea, that's a steal. Also don't buy a vehicle for what you need right now, but try to think about what you might need it for in the future too. Such as now living in the country and those roads will end up being the last that they plow...ask me how I know. Rear locker won't do much for you at that point.

Also you can think of the bed as used, or you can think of it as a tedious project you will have to do other wise you'll one day loose your bed to rust. This isn't FL, the littlest of rust is like cancer and will spread if not addressed.

12. Mar 17, 2016 at 11:35 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    If it was me I am a 4x4 guy if you don`t need4x4 it is your call

Then I never learned to drive a Automatic that would be some concern

The only Question I ever Ask when buying a Toyota 4x4 is "Why are you selling it"

Every thing can be figured out

13. Mar 17, 2016 at 11:41 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    :rofl::rofl::D

14. Mar 19, 2016 at 4:12 PM
    mobious212

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    99 Pre- Runner V6 TRD
    i took it to the shop had them go over coast about 70 buks. the mechanic siad the truck is solid engine is good what looked like rust is dirt just needs a few things.

• Valve cover gasket
    • both outer tie rod ends
    • tranny service
    • all 4 shocks
    • all 4 tires
    have until tomorrow to decide waiting on the shop to price everything out for me since owner had to leave early.
    also when i tried to start it up the truck actully moved back about a foot even though it was on park anyone know why his might be?

15. Mar 28, 2016 at 8:33 AM
    mobious212

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    99 Pre- Runner V6 TRD
    so i went ahead and pulled the trigger been driving it all week and since i cant find a decent mechanic im gonna do the work myself any recommendations on what order and what else i should do.

16. Mar 28, 2016 at 12:44 PM
    Obsessed2000

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NC/VA line
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4x4 3.4
    I'd start with the Valve cover gasket as that could easily lead to new/further issues. While your in the engine bay go ahead and do the spark plugs unless you know they've been done lately. Then work on your tie rods and shocks together, and look at any of your other suspension parts while your in there to make sure they don't need to be replaced. Personally I'd take care of the inner tie rods while I was at it. Then have your tires on stand by so that when your done messing with the suspension you can put them on and get one alignment. After all that service the tranny. I don't know what all you need for that b/c "service tranny" is pretty broad. The only thing I feel comfortable with doing is replacing the filter and topping her off. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

ALSO, switch to full synthetic oil.

17. Mar 28, 2016 at 2:21 PM
    mobious212

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    99 Pre- Runner V6 TRD
    Yea I'm going full synthetic on everything. For ATF Is the factory stuff from Toyota the best or is there something better. Also for the motor oil I've always heard royal purple is the best should I waste the money or just forget about it.

18. Mar 29, 2016 at 10:04 AM
    Obsessed2000

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NC/VA line
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4x4 3.4
    We've been talking about tranny fluid and junk here the last couple of days. There's some good reading in here.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...9-taco-v6-4x4-automatic.423734/#post-12133768

As for the Royal Purple, yes it is the best supposedly, but I've always only run Mobile 1 Full Synthetic. It's only about $26 for 5 qts over at Walmart (always have the best price), and I've never met anyone who had something bad to say about Mobile 1.

19. Mar 29, 2016 at 2:28 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    If you cant buy it in common places its considered a boutique fluid, generally not worth the expense on a street vehicle. API SN oils are quite good. I"d suggest dino and 5k changes the first couple of intervals.

Also suggest safety first in your repairs. Brakes, steering components, excessively worn suspension bits, thenove on to other repairs.

20. May 30, 2016 at 7:22 PM
    mobious212

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    99 Pre- Runner V6 TRD
    Been lurking for awhile but finally back. Drained transmission refilled with Valvoline Max life synthetic. Drained the rear diff it came out grey so it's probably never been changed replaced with 75-90 synthetic Mobil 1 gear oil. Then did the oil got a Toyota OEM filter for 6 buks at the dealer. It's wasn't pre lubed and it said made in the U.S. thought they were made in Taiwan seems like they changed. Put in Mobil 1 high mileage was tempted to go with royal purple but all there stuff was 10 buks more and I'm sure what you get isn't worth the extra. Then I did shocks all around went with Monroe since I can't justify buying bilsteins for this truck. Replaced the battery with an AGM one from oreilys. All this work I did myself with the help of the forums here. Had to get the whole steering assembly changed since it was wore out. So this truck is good to go. Any advice on what to do next I was considering brakes.

Products Discussed in

To Top