1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to be when I grow up?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by 2000GTacoma, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Mar 8, 2018 at 4:33 AM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    Anyone else struggle with what career you want to pursue when you grow up? Currently I work for a school system in the IT world. I went to school for Industrial Technology but grew up with my Dad being in the IT field. Long story short I ended up sort of looking after him during some health issues and ended up being hired at the same place he was at and I am still here. At the time it worked out great because I could work, take care of Dad, and finish college. Dad has since passed on and I feel very very lost at times.
    I enjoy the work but at 24 currently I almost topped out in pay unless someone leaves, retires, or dies. I enjoy IT work but I also can run CNC machines, CAD/CAM, and I am mechanically inclined. Basically anything I have ever wanted to learn, I could pick up.

Little long winded but just some thoughts at work this morning. Please feel free to post thoughts, suggestions.

2. Mar 8, 2018 at 7:55 AM
    2000GTacoma

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    I appreciate the thoughts. Just hit a point of not knowing which way to go anymore. Makes it more difficult without guidance. I do enjoy working on mechanical things. I love gunsmithing and even take classes for that. My degree is in Industrial Technology with a concentration in Mechanical technology. Actually a very broad field which is good and bad I guess. Experience is what kills me. Most places want 8-10 years experience and I have half that.

Johnnymoto likes this.
  3. Mar 8, 2018 at 8:27 AM
    Bridge4

Bridge4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB Imperial Jade
    All I can say is that I didn't have a clue until I hit about 30. I had all sorts of different sales jobs but nothing that felt right to me. Don't stress too much about being lost, you have a great foundation to explore from at this point. A steady job, degree and enough self awareness that you are actively trying to figure out what you want. Most people don't have all 3 of those things. I also found that finding someone I wanted to spend my life with and provide for really helped to, make sure you find a partner who motivates and pushes you to be a better man and you won't go wrong!

4. Mar 8, 2018 at 8:29 AM
    Toyko Joe

Toyko Joe Here for the pictures

Member:
    Have you looked into Industrial Networks/ IT? What about Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) - process automation, axial or even robot programming?

IT is a great field to be in and can offer you some flexibility if your're willing to search them out. Maybe just pick where you'd like to live 'forever' find a job there and figure it out?

5. Mar 8, 2018 at 4:38 PM
    2000GTacoma

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    Gunsmithing and machining which go hand in hand are things I really enjoy. After Dad passed I started taking gunsmithing at a local community college at night. The classes were mainly order gents that shared knowledge and just enjoy talking guns. Those classes were a huge stress reliever. I'm even thinking about picking them back up.

Johnnymoto likes this.
  6. Mar 8, 2018 at 4:40 PM
    2000GTacoma

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    That's just it. I have no clue where I want to live really. Currently live in eastern NC between Raleigh and the coast. When you say industrial networks/IT are you talking enterprise level or more making machines within a manufacturing environment communicate?

7. Mar 8, 2018 at 4:47 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    I also didn't have a clue till I hit 30.
    Worked for years and made it to shop foreman at a custom upholstery shop, and also a glass installation tech.
    Found my calling in another company and celebrating 19 yrs.

It helps to have various other jobs so you can get a handle on what's really out there and what you like.

8. Mar 8, 2018 at 4:53 PM
    travis.diller

travis.diller Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Kitsap Peninsula
    Vehicle:
    2003 Taco prerunner 4x4
    fully armored, 4.88, 33 skinnies, tundra brakes, a REAL cold air intake.
    If you love your job, you never have to work a day in your life.
    Money doesn’t make you happy.
    I worked as a line cook and then chef for 6 years and then joined the Navy as a Submariner (navigation) after 10 years in the Navy I have incredible life experiences, but the mental stress is crippling at times. If I could do it again I would choose a more physical job like a wild land fire fighter.

RedneckGravy likes this.
  9. Mar 8, 2018 at 5:15 PM
    2000GTacoma

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    Hear that all the time but how? Where do you start? I enjoy the job I have now I have a lot of freedom. Basically as long as my schools are taken care of I go help one of our other guys. He has taught me so much with cabling, electrical, and I helped him migrate our phone system last summer. Over 2000 phones, he asked me would I be backup in case something pops up and he can't do certain things. Several things have happened lately that just make me rethink what I am doing. I'm also at a point with the girlfriend (no ring) that I am rethinking everything in life.

10. Mar 9, 2018 at 1:17 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    Engineering. Has a little bit of everything if you choose the right field....on hands, pc butt time, field work , travel ..

TheDamaso likes this.
  11. Mar 9, 2018 at 1:28 PM
    Toyko Joe

Toyko Joe Here for the pictures

Member:
    I'd say start figuring out what your life to be surrounded by in 10,20,50 years and then get there, find a job that pays the bills and is rewarding then sit back and watch the world turn.
    Both. There are good opportunities in enterprise level and industrial machine to machine level and server database management.

12. Mar 11, 2018 at 4:06 PM
    2000GTacoma

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    Things in particular to look for? I’d honestly like to get on at the local hospital. It’s a major hospital in the area.

13. Mar 11, 2018 at 4:26 PM
    tacofish

tacofish Well-Known Member

Member:
    N NJ
    Vehicle:
    14 ext cab 4x4
    3/1 lowrange spacer lift 285/70/17 wildpeaks
    i went to school for industrial arts (shop teacher)
    I never wanted to be a teacher but my councelor at college had me take few wrong courses my original intention was to work in the field
    I did not want to spend another year in college so i did student teaching and liked it and now 30 + years later love my job (most days)
    My major was graphic arts but after teachingit for 3 years i was riffed (reduction in force) and then took a wood working job.
    I had to teach my self alot of my woodworking skills but could always stay ahead of the kids
    In NJ shop is now called Industrial Tech although most schools haved shut down their shops
    Kids love it, I still do wood working but most of my projects are technology based
    Your still young find a field you like and follow it

Toyko Joe likes this.
  14. Mar 19, 2018 at 7:54 PM
    Itchyfeet

Itchyfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    My resume is a hodgepodge of random stuff. Three college degrees from schools that don't require TV commercials, ASE certifications, a bunch of certifications for another field that I won't mention.

In all honestly I still don't know WTF I want to do when I grow up. I have been at my current job six years. It pays well, I'm debt free, but can't see myself doing it for a lifetime

15. Mar 30, 2018 at 7:03 AM
    J A Red

J A Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peachland, BC
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB TRD Sport 6MT WCP
    KO2s, 6112/5160,
    I started out in IT back before they even called it that, but never really loved. Ended up working for a couple major telecommunications companies for 15 yrs until I got laid off due to a merger. Had no idea what I was going to do because I didn’t want to continue the same path. Ended up as a Firefighter, now with 12yrs in and love it. Who knew!

To Top