1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to do: Axle Wrap

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Felker, May 9, 2013.

1. May 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    Felker

Felker [OP] New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5
    Cab Steps, Oversized Tires.
    Hello All,

I have just purchased a 1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 PreRunner (automatic) w/only 59k miles and this is my first post.

BTW, I have searched/read several posts here and I am excited to see so much information about the Tacomas!

Here is my story: Bought the truck from a local dealership only to hear/feel this "thud" when stopping and also when taking my foot off the brake preparing to accellerate. The dealership couldnt tell me what was causing this issue (or didnt want to fix it, idk)

So I searched on the web and found this site! Awesome knowledge base! So after a little digging, I determined that what I was experiencing is what MANY Taco owners describe as axle wrap (or wheel wrap).

Before I go out and purchase brand new suspension, I wanted to verify this was in fact what the issue was. I found on this forum an article explaing how to installed leaf spring helpers in reverse and this will stiffen up that back end enough to cure the axle wrap.

So.....I purchase the exact kit from NAPA Auto Parts here locally and set out to find out for myself if this was it. Unfortunately, the leaf spring helpers did not quite fit my truck and I couldnt use them. HOWEVER, I remembered that I also saw a post that I could just use the U-Bolts and steel plate about 4 inches away from the rear axle that that would work the same. So, I tried that and it actually reduced the "thud" I was feeling by about 80-90% !!

This is where I am at now and here is my question: The rear end suspension is basically made up of 2 parts (leaf springs and shocks).
    Does anyone believe that I can alleviate my axle wrap by just replacing my rear shocks? Remember that although this truck is 14 years old, it is in perfect shape so, I dont believe the previous owner did any hard driving.

And if I need to purchase new leafs, can I go with the 4-pack? Or should I upgrade to the 5-pack to ensure the axle wrap disappears 100% ?

Thank you for your time reading/responding to this thread.

Attached is a picture of the truck!

IMG_0835.jpg

2. May 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
    do u want it lifted? or keep at ride height?

3. May 9, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    Blueitrgsr

Blueitrgsr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Gainesville, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 Reg Cab 4wd
    Some bilsteins, OME 885's, and an AAL.
    I doubt just adding shocks would eliminate the issue. Regardless of the low miles your truck has its still 13/14 years old the rear components are gonna wear with time obviously. How do your leafs look? Have any curvature to them? Which direction? Generally a leaf pack would be your best option as to fixing the issue.

And as far as which pack to go with it all depends on your plan with the truck. Bilstein 5100 on all corners and a new leaf back out back would be a great option to go with.

4. May 9, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    Felker

Felker [OP] New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5
    Well, I am indifferent about lifting it or not. It is my daily driver and do not want to sacrifice ride quality or possibly increase the stress to the new leaf springs and possibly increase my chances of axle wrap again.

If I could gain 1.5 inches, not degrade ride quality and not increase my chance of axle wrap occurring in the future, then sure, I wouldnt mind lifting it some. If so, then no.

5. May 9, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    Felker

Felker [OP] New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5
    I dont know if this is "normal", but it appears to have 4 leafs (3 in one direction and the last one closest to the ground is facing the opposite direction).

I dont have a picture of them now, but I can take one a bit later and post if needed.

6. May 9, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
    i had a little of axle wrap and went with a AAL 1.5-2" lift.. which my springs were flat... and they gave me 1"..so depending on how bad urs curve or lack of would depend ultimately on it all...or there is also a spring refurb thread..

7. May 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    The shocks have almost zero effect on axle wrap. Their purpose is to control "shock" or sudden changes in suspension geometry, up or down. Axle wrap is rotational, and a more gradual change, not in the vertical axis.

Considering the age of your truck, simply replacing the leaf springs with a slightly stronger set would be most likely sufficient.

8. May 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM
    jaunty

jaunty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 V6 TRD Automatic 4x4

Products Discussed in

To Top