1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to do when being PULLED OVER!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by skistoy, May 9, 2011.

1. May 9, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    AC13JohnG

AC13JohnG Señor Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 5 lug
    Do all 5 steps, plus hand over my collection of OPBA and FOP cards with my drivers liscense and registration. Knock on wood ticket free for 13 years excluding 1 photo radar ticket. I did luck out big one time. I got let off of an arrestable speeding violation 163 in a 65; thank god for having cop friends and growing up in a police family. A decade later I realize how fucking stupid that was.

2. May 9, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    One thing... I WILL NOT stop in an dark unpopulated area... Jeff said to put my flashers on and drive to a safe location. That way the officer knows you aren't trying to run... I will also get on my phone and verify that it's a legitimate officer pulling me over :eek:

3. May 9, 2011 at 5:12 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    CCW holders should put them at ease more so than anyone else. It should be obvious to the cop that the person with the CCW doesn't have a criminal record and hasn't done anything to have it revoked.

x2. When I have others in the car I put my gun under my seat. I tell the cop where my gun is and that I have a ccw permit and they just reply with, "just don't reach for it and we'll be good."

Agree for the most part but as stated earlier anytime they run your info they will see that you have a CCW permit.

Find its always easiest starting off on the right foot with the law and just telling them anyways.

4. May 9, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Wait for RModel to get here- You won't hear the end of it. GA does NOT maintain a central database for CCWs (apparently)(and I don't think they call them CCWs either..but I'm sure he'll correct that too..) Not all states annotate the CCW in the DL database. I'm also unsure of what information is shared outside of the state (like my FL DL and CCW when the LA cops run my plate/DL#)

5. May 9, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    yotamikez

yotamikez Street glide or die

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Valrico
    Vehicle:
    04 civic & 08 Street glide
    I'll cooperate, but im not kissing ass. I have been pulled over twice in a previous truck and the cops were complete assholes. The first one let me go cause he knew my dad (not a common last name I have) and the second one dicked me around cause he saw I was going to work. With my tacoma I never go but 5mph over the speed limit, and if I get pulled over for that. I'm just gunna tell the cop to write the ticket.

6. May 9, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    brettb

brettb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    When I get pulled over i immediately turn on my dome light and get out my registration. I have a ton of papers of things for the truck that I have to sort through to get my insurance (required here) so I should probably fix that. I also am very respectful and always end my sentence or whatever im saying in Sir. Havent gotten a ticket in like the last 4 times pulled over.

7. May 9, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    brettb

brettb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    thats crazy. I dont think i would ever do that. But then again I have a lifted, slow truck, so why try? :p hah this kid in my class asked how fast i've gotten it. I told him I don't give an eff its a truck thats only going to get slower with mods, and it'll be able to climb more shit hahah

8. May 9, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    brettb

brettb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    Right when I get pulled over I do it? So he probably doesnt even notice I turned it on.

9. May 9, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Yeah I'm talking about Arizona though. I don't know what other states do unless I am driving thru with my guns; then I look up how they do things.

10. May 9, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Don't lie.

People lie to us all day long. 95% of the time an experienced officer will be able to perceive it.

11. May 9, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Fingerprints.

12. May 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    They can ID the car later for a variety of different reasons. Licence plates can be swapped and other things like that changed-Even prints can be wiped off...but most folks don't notice.

13. May 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    I have a concealed carry permit. Don't usually have it with me but when they run my plate it's supposed to show up. I do all the steps above, lights, 10 and 2 on wheel, window not all the way down but part way. I've also been told NOT to have your stuff ready, they don't want to see movement. To keep them calm and happy you must be calm and courteous, get stuff when asked and tell them where it is. If you're rooting around the glove box for your insurance and fumbling around they're thinking "digging for a gun? hiding drugs?"

remember Yes sir, ma'am, officer, or trooper. be sure to get officer and trooper straight too ;)

14. May 9, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    what if the car was stolen with the gun inside?

15. May 9, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    skistoy

skistoy [OP] Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    hahaha

Used to be a EMT in Virginia Beach years ago

had a big ol symbol on my back window

16. May 9, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Even if it's not required in your state, informing the officer you have a ccw permit and the location of the gun is a courtesy you should extend. I agree with the OP on all the other steps.
    Waiting to pull over for a less secluded area should only be used for minimally marked and lighted patrol car. Do not do it for a fully marked and lighted cruiser, unless you are ready do do some explaining and expect some longer questioning.
    Wait for the officer to instruct your actions. Looking for things before he gets to your door looks suspicious, he'll think you are hiding something.

17. May 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    thebottomline

thebottomline Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pac NW
    Vehicle:
    11 sport
    These rules are a good guideline, but I honestly believe the x-factor is whether the officer is in a prick mood or not. If he is having a bad day no matter what you do you will get the business.
    I've been pulled over a few times here and I don't have anything bad to say about the officers I encountered. I tried to keep my mouth shut but answered all questions politely, and was relaxed. Treat them like you would going through customs. Small talk and chit-chat is a bad idea.
    If the cop is pissed off then take your ticket and leave, obviously you were pulled over for breaking the law so accept the consequences.

18. May 9, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    i somewhat disagree. i was pulled over for having my hid hellas on during the day in town (didnt notice they were on) and blue marker lights. cop was cool, and he just said to keep them for off road, and that they may be too high but he doesnt wanna measure (they are level with the centerline of my headlights. i thought this was correct but aparantly not according to him) then i asked about jeeps and trucks with lights on the roof rack and he said they are illegal even if they come factory like it. as well as the new mustangs (lights in the grill) which he pointed out. he just said they look cool but shouldnt be on and since i lived in a different city he wasnt going to give me a fix it ticket.

19. May 9, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    TacoMal

TacoMal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road Dbl cab
    Wet Okole's, Relentless Sliders, Plasti Dipped badges and wheels
    Just be polite. The officer is a human being just like you. He/she is doing their job. Asking questions is fine, chit chat is fine, even pleading your case is fine as long as you do it politely and within reason. There are cops out there that may be dicks just like in any other profession and they give the rest of the cops a bad reputation. Even if you do get a cop who is rude, remain polite and file a complaint AFTER you sign for your ticket and drive off. If you still don't agree with the officer, gather your evidence and fight it in court. Fighting about it in the driver seat is not the time or place to do it. The majority of cops out there are good people. You only hear about the bad ones... How many posts or news articles do you read about a really nice cop that gave you a break? Hardly any... Why? Because that's boring!!:rolleyes:

20. May 9, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    BuckNakedBooda

BuckNakedBooda There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Member:
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4
    In Virginia, when a cop runs your plate it comes up on their screen if you have a CCW.

Got pulled over once and the cop asked me if I was suppose to tell him something about me. It took me a few seconds but I told him I had a CCW bud did not have a weapon on me at the time....

That's what he wanted to know....

Products Discussed in

To Top