1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to look for in used Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hiplainsdrifter, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Oct 16, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    Hiplainsdrifter

Hiplainsdrifter [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm in the process for looking for a used Tacoma.. Im looking at the 2nd Gen double cab as a prerunner or 4x4. I would prefer 4x4, but im looking at keeping cost at 22,000 or under. Any suggestions as far as what to look out for, and what not to get. specifically are certain year models better then others from 2005-2009 range.. Thanks for any input/advice..

2. Oct 16, 2009 at 10:33 AM
    leg killa

leg killa Well-Known Member

Member:
    AMERICA
    Vehicle:
    06 SBDB SR5 4x4
    TRD Hood/ Color matched grill/ De badged/ BHLM/ Viper remote start/ Pioneer AVIC Z-130BT/ BFG MT KM2/ MT Classic II/ OME Lift/ LR UCAs/ Pop and Lock
    i would have a competent mechanic with you when you go on the test drive..make sure you do a good inspection..inspect tread on tires, underneath for leaks and obvious damage..you could tell if the has been played with alot..make sure the 4x4 works..roll up and down windows..radio..pretty much everything that you can think of..make sure you car jack and what not is there..look under the hood for leaks or moisture..

theres too many things to list..hopefully this helps

3. Oct 16, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    Hiplainsdrifter

Member:
    Thnx.. I know the tell tale signs.. I wheeled a jeep for some time, when i was younger, so basically know what to look for there.. I was more concerned with issues that are prone to the Tacoma.. Such as I've read some about spring pack issues and tail gate issues.. Just didnt know if this pertained to all years. Thanks for the reply..

4. Oct 16, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    leg killa

Member:
    AMERICA
    Vehicle:
    06 SBDB SR5 4x4
    TRD Hood/ Color matched grill/ De badged/ BHLM/ Viper remote start/ Pioneer AVIC Z-130BT/ BFG MT KM2/ MT Classic II/ OME Lift/ LR UCAs/ Pop and Lock
    my bad..dont know too much about the bugs..i know its a good truck..lol

that didnt help

5. Oct 16, 2009 at 11:09 AM
    snakebite

snakebite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Hanover, PA
    Vehicle:
    01 tacoma xcab 4x4 AT (7514)
    2005 4runner sport wheels, jeraco cap
    go to the toyota dealer and get a certified truck. you can't beat the warranty. They must meet alot of specs to becaome a certified vehicle. no local mechanic to go along with you is needed.

6. Oct 16, 2009 at 11:13 AM
    Hiplainsdrifter

Member:
    I agree, but they also seem to tack on a premium to get that warranty.. I have to keep it under 22 g's to be spouse approved..

7. Oct 16, 2009 at 11:17 AM
    Notty

Notty Well-Known Member

Member:
    5Twenty
    Vehicle:
    08 DubCab PreRunner
    5100's @ 2.5, Rear TSB, ToyTec 1.5 AAL, 17" Incubus 511's, 285/70/17 Dueler Revo A/Ts, BHLM
    I'd look for change under the seats, money or drugs stuffed into hidden compartments or in the dash. Also check for dead bodies. You'd be surprised what you can find in a used vehicle.....................oh wait, that's not what you were asking was it? :D

The Taco's are pretty damn solid. Not much to look out for really. All of them will have the weak springs unless the TSB was done. They all have the weak tailgate unfortunately. But other then that they are pretty damn reliable.

8. Oct 16, 2009 at 11:21 AM
    Hiplainsdrifter

Member:
    Great.. How can you tell if the spring packs have been replaced under the TSB?? looks like to get into my price range i may have to get one thats out of warranty. IS the replacement of spring pack still covered if its out of warranty as in a recall?? I know i just went through an engine replacement covered under a TSB on a Infiniti G35 and i recieved a brand new engine.. But it will still in warranty also. Thanks again guys for the info..

9. Oct 16, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    leg killa

Member:
    AMERICA
    Vehicle:
    06 SBDB SR5 4x4
    i got my truck for a lil over 20k with 38k miles, drivetrain warranty is up to 60k though..not the 100k...just be patient..you should be able to find a deal

10. Oct 21, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    zanodave

zanodave Well-Known Member

Member:
    so il
    Vehicle:
    07speedwayblue
    sent u a PM

11. Oct 21, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    poff1986

poff1986 Seasoned Newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    05' Impulse Red Tacoma AC 4x4
    Stock

I bought a certified Tacoma, and the dealer had no idea its been repainted on the roof, now the paints chipping off, had it a week and a half. But their going to repaint it. Be sure if you get certified, look at toyota's certified website, and look at what should be done to a certified vehicle, also avoid volume dealers, they tend to no pay enough attention to their vehicles during the safety inspections, spend an extra few bucks from a good reputable dealer. I love my truck, but wish I wasn't so trusting of the certified vehicles, i work on acuras and when we certify them, they dam well better be like new condition, no repainting or anything...Not to get you worried or anything.

To Top