1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

what type of plugs did you put back in

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 09 tacoma trd, Mar 1, 2009.

?

what type of plug did you put back in

1. denso copper

28.5%
  2. denso iridium

25.2%
  3. ngk copper

9.1%
  4. ngk iridium

24.8%
  5. other

12.4%
  1. Feb 27, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    TacoTimmy

TacoTimmy Active Member

Member:
    Hohenwald, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    I have to change my plugs in my 07 4.0. I have been reading up on this and I still can't figure it out. Why would toyota put a copper plug in the 4.0 engine and an iridum in the 2.7. I figure there has to be a reason for it. Now i just learned that the 2012 4.0's have iridiums, has anything changed with the engine for '12? I am leaning towards the iridiums because the extended service interval and I have probably already wasted enough of my life contemplating this.

2. Feb 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    Tacominer

Tacominer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DREW
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    06 DBCB TRD Off Road
    K&N CAI, BHLM, Black Valence, Blacked Out Emblems, Blacked Out Grill, Pro Comp Rock Crawlers Black, 265-75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Rear diff mod. OME 885 coils with 5100's front 5120's rear. Dakers 3" rear leafs. Toyota engine block heater.
    well all i know was that is was the plus 4 plug. and we have heard multiple times that they dont work well. yes i could be a bad plug but we have been told by alot of people not to use them. Its just one of those things that you have one bad expriance you tell people to warn them. im sure people have good luck with them. I wont take that chance anymore. I have ran them in my 05 corolla s and it gave it better mpg. with them i was gettin 38mpg and i took them out and put ngk and was averaging 32. not a huge diff but there is some, im not saying dont run them but just wanted to tell people to watch out. I will only run OEM in my new taco though. I dont have the money to take that chance. lol

3. Feb 27, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Oh I agree that the +4 doesn't work as well... but it doesn't work any better in any other engine. It's just a sales gimmick like the other multiple-electrode, "fire ring", or plugs with internal capacitors.
    There are a LOT of "magic" plugs (and other products) being sold that are a flat out waste of money, all in the name of saving a couple of MPG (which they don't).
    The most effective MPG mod anyone can do is a weight reduction on their right foot ;)
    I've lived through gas shortages since 1974, and while I won't say I've seen it all (every time gas prices go up I'm amazed at the new crap people try to sell)... I have seen a hell of a lot. The last big thing was adding hydrogen to the intake. Simple laws of physics... even if it improves power, it's draw from the alternator will drain more power from the engine than the hydrogen adds... net loss in the system.

Best way to go is to always stick with the OEM specification and material. If the factory installed copper, stick with it and stick with the factory change intervals.
    I run Iridiums in my wife's '04 Rav4. 120k on it and it's last smog check I did a doubletake on the numbers because it looked like they didn't even have the sniffer in the pipe!
    The '08 Taco 4-banger? Dunno... I'll find out when I change them, I'm not sure what's in there now, I just bought the truck ;)

4. Feb 27, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    Tacominer

Tacominer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DREW
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    06 DBCB TRD Off Road
    K&N CAI, BHLM, Black Valence, Blacked Out Emblems, Blacked Out Grill, Pro Comp Rock Crawlers Black, 265-75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Rear diff mod. OME 885 coils with 5100's front 5120's rear. Dakers 3" rear leafs. Toyota engine block heater.
    yea i agree the best thing to do is stick with what is OEM. the best way to get better mpg is your foot and how you drive. and really min your city driving lol.

5. Feb 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

The copper core is coated in platenium, maybe even all platnium. I think it is manufactuer specific on what they do. It's like Kona coffee. One Kona bean in a can of regular coffee, and it's Kona blend.

6. Feb 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    I've just bought the Champion Platinum plugs.... they are going in when the weather gets a little warmer.... Hope they work

Over

7. Feb 28, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    TRDKenE

TRDKenE DAMN GOOD DEAL!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 D-CAB OFF-ROAD 4X4
    TRD CAI, GrillCraft.
    factory is the way to go.

8. Feb 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ugg.

Not a Champion fan here. I've had problems with them having bad seals, and I'm not the only one.

Seriously... stick with ND or NGK for your Toyota.

9. Feb 28, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Depends on how bad your old plugs are.

Could be no measurable difference if the engine is running good and you're changing on time or early... or it could be a 20% improvement if your old plugs are clapped out and you're barely running on all cylinders.

10. Feb 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    TruthInLies313

TruthInLies313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blaine
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 V6 TRD Sport DC
    Tinted, 5701 Viper Alarm Electric Start, 6 Inch Fabtech Lift, 17'' XD Hoss Rims, K&N 77 Series Intake, BHLM, Black Emblems, Color Matched Dash rings, 2 JL 10's, Pioneer Double Din Head Unit
    E3 Spark Plugs figured I'd give them a try. They come gapped already.

11. Feb 29, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    Why the bad rep. on Champion plugs?... Has anyone actually had problems with them?....

I've already opened the pkgs and gapped them....I can't return them now.... Am I really in trouble using them or is this issue like Oil..... everybody has a favorite and that's about it???

Just asking.....any REAL problems with Champions?....

Over

12. Feb 29, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Champion aren't as bad as Autolite plugs but I have only heard good things about NGK and Denso and bad things about the other brands.

13. Feb 29, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    Sighless

Sighless Well-Known Member

Member:
    TORONTO
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5
    i went with e3.. and i have to sya i like them alot over the stockers... there is no power gain at all like they claim, but it starts alot easier.. and my mileage has been up on my last 3 tanks.

14. Feb 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I've been reading and hearing about them having bad seals for decades.
    I ran them on my '69 Camaro for a couple of years but went back to AC after having a bad set.

15. Apr 12, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Well...I've had the Champion Double Platinum plugs in for a couple of weeks and they gave the ole girl a bit more "pep".... The NGK's were worn down to .56 and the Denzos were at .46..... Looks like the Denzos are a better choice than the NGK's....

Anywhoo.... the Champs are good so far...

Over

16. Apr 12, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    mikewho

mikewho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885x's, Toytec 1.5 AAL's, shorty antenna x, Trd sport hood, bed extender, ProComp7098's, BFG 275's, K&N filter, black anzo led tails, OEM roof rack, sock monkey bed decal, extra d rings, weathertechs
  17. Apr 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    Cactusone

Cactusone Active Member

Member:
    Sonoran Desert
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Off Road
    BHLM, Sport hood and grill, Deezee side steps painted super white, 5100 w/OME884 and AAL
    Denso Platinum TT

18. Apr 19, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    I replaced mine at 57K with Denso Irridiums (stock plug in 2.7L). Did it because my motor had a slight stumble at idle, also cleaned my throttle body. Not sure what the fix was but my smooth idle was back afterwards. I definitely reccomend cleaning your throttle body every 30K or so after seeing how much carbon was built up behind the butterfly. ( A rag and throttle body cleaner, lots of elbow grease)

19. Apr 19, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    That's good 2 no. I'm at 50k. How did your plugs look ? How was the gap ? They are supposed to be good for 100k so just wondering how yours were. Thanks.

20. Apr 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Wish I was at work to post a pic of one. The electrode end literally looked barely used, it was the rest of the plug that threw a red flag. Looked like a bunch of rusty blow-by that was all up the plug up to the top (where your plug wire goes on). A few techs in the shop said there fine but I changed them anyway. Found this pic on google, they looked like these.

car057_7d3649b726bd695e03e3488e917405ff4a458f16.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top