1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What was your first handgun?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by yota4Whelz, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Jul 8, 2014 at 12:40 PM
    SigSense

SigSense Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4
    Guns scare me. I'd rather wait on the police to respond in an hour than defend myself and possibly hurt another human......Just sayin'

2. Jul 8, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    1stacoma

1stacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM SR5 DCSB 4.0
    5100's front and rear, front 2.5" rear 2" AAL, 18% tint front and rear, color matched grill. SCS wheels 275/70/17 BFG AT KO's. DTRL toggle switch.
    First handgun was a 22 revolver Saturday night special. First real handgun was a Glock 22 if my memory serves me correctly.

3. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:10 PM
    teamcurtis

teamcurtis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 Super white
    285/75/16, snugtop xtravision, pop-lock
    1) it worked for me when I did it at my front door and the intruder just left. I'm sure you would have rather stay hidden crouched then shot him in the head. But I sleep easier knowing I've never killed anyone.
    Thieves aren't breaking in for a gunfight, they just want your shit because they are too lazy to work.

2) ok? clearly if I'm choosing a shotgun over a pistol to NOT KILL I would just use bird shot, not buck shot. A slug would go thru two walls, point being?

3) that's exactly my point. if this is someone's first hand gun they, will most likely not be trained enough or good enough of a shot to handle the adrenaline and make a good shot. On the other hand a 4 year old could hit the target with a shotgun.

You miss my point all together in hitting someone with the gun. Some people want to deter a thief and would not choose to kill. The shotgun, unloaded would be no different than a super scary baseball bat. Which people use under their bed for the same purpose.

Im sure you wont agree, and that's fine. But it doesn't make someone else view point wrong, stupid, or to be ignored.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  4. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    423 TACO

423 TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Knox-ish, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM Sport 6sp AC
    I've seen this before...... :popcorn:

5. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    No, your view point is wrong, stupid and should be ignored.

Suggesting someone own an unloaded shotgun as a deterrent is idiotic. Period. If you own a firearm and plan to deploy it for self defense then you better damn well be prepared to use it and the outcome of using it. If you're not ready.... don't own one.

Shouting 'I have a gun and will shoot you if you don't leave' works better than racking a shotgun if you really feel like giving away your position.

You know nothing about shotguns and how they behave with various loads. I suggest you stop giving 'expert' advice online because all you're doing is parroting inaccurate information you heard as fact and then someone else will do the same and the cycle continues.

Birdshot in a shotgun is most certainly lethal and should never be treated as a non-lethal load. Ever.

Birdshot will most certainly go through several walls if you miss your target and if you doubt me go ahead and go buy a few dozen sheets of drywall, take them out in the country and test it out for yourself. You'll be amazed by how many sheets stacked back to back even birdshot penetrates.

This notion that you don't need to aim a shotgun is complete bullshit. While you're out there shoot targets at various distances and see how far away you need to get before your patters start to open up.

Until you've done ALL of this save your opinion because it's based on nothing other than urban legend and will get someone in trouble someday. The sooner all this BS dies the better off we will be. I've done everything I suggested you tried above and after doing all my own testing I now use a handgun for bedside duty and if it's something that 20+rds of 9mm can't handle I'll deploy an AR15. I own, compete/train with several shotguns of various variations and feel that I'm pretty familiar with them. Knowing what I know it's not my first go to and certainly wouldn't be for any of the reasons you mentioned.

Remember, you are responsible for EVERY SINGLE PROJECTILE THAT COMES OUT OF YOUR FIREARM. Keep that in mind when you're considering what type of firearm to use and what load to use.

Theloraxcross likes this.
  6. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:27 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Why would you even pull the trigger if you're not interested in killing your attacker? Fuck that

If I pull the trigger, my life or the life of another innocent human was already in jeopardy and I WILL ensure that I will see the light of day again.

Assuming you can use a shotgun like a bat just suggests that you let an attacker get too close and now have lost another tactical advantage. You now stand a FANTASTIC chance of having that shotgun taken from you and used against you.

I will never have birdshot loaded as a defense roun

I would not rather shoot someone in the head, it's much too small of a target

Home invasions rarely occur at night, and they can be breaking in for a multitude of reasons besided stealing your stuff. Ever had to deal with someone hopped up on PCP or bath salts who has no idea what they are doing? Or how about the guy who followed your wife or gf home because he saw her out and about but she turned down his advances? Or how about the guys who have decided that your kid needs to be in their sex slave ring?

On top of EVERYTHING else, your shotgun that you need to rack is unloaded. ..the attacker makes it inside without you realizing it until he is entering your bedroom. ..as you reach for your shotgun. ..he jumps to fight you over it...gonna be able to rack that action now? Doubt it

Good luck...I know that I can, have, and will continue to survive threats and attacks...not to worry though. ..I've never had to shoot anyone either and I'd prefer to keep it that way

Theloraxcross likes this.
  7. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    IBTL.

8. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:33 PM
    teamcurtis

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 Super white
    is owning a baseball bat as a deterrent idiotic?

9. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:36 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Not if you cannot legally or otherwise own a firearm or cannot make the mental decision that you can take another life in defense of your own

10. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:37 PM
    teamcurtis

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 Super white
    yeah, that was my point

11. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:37 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    But if you're letting an attacker get that close...you might as well get a knife...or a screwdriver. ..or scissors. ..

12. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:41 PM
    teamcurtis

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 Super white
    given the choice of fighting a guy holding a bat or a guy holding scissors, ill take the scissors....
    ie a bat is more of a deterrent, which is all a gun would be to me.

granted im not married nor do I have kids and that might change my willingness to take a life.
    again that's why in my op I said be honest with yourself of what your capable of

13. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    DeltaSteve

DeltaSteve Social Critic

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    FW,TX near TCU
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD access
    KING 2.0" PERFORMANCE SERIES REMOTE RESERVOIR COILOVER SHOCK W COILOVERS, TC UCA, OME DAKAR SPRINGS, RELENTLESS PLATE R BUMPER and MORE :)
    Not my first but one of many :) "The Party Pooper"

Mossberg1_d8de69d624289dd9c5f6ffbff0e9561f2a5a2b09.jpg

14. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:50 PM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    I had to read this about 7 times before it made sense, I think.

15. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:50 PM
    WThomas1250

WThomas1250 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alfred likes this.
  16. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:53 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I'll take on a guy with a bat long before I take on a guy with any sort of edged weapon

I might take a torso shot but much easier to catch a bat and take it away with minimal damage...plus to get any sort of actual damaging speed you telegraph your intention from the word go...

Your best defense should have 3 things

Speed, surprise, and violence of action

Whatever action you mentally prepare for...commit to it...but anything less than being prepared to take a life could easily result in your life

17. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:54 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Basically if a bat is your only option then it's your best option. ..but if you have other options. ..it's not that great

18. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:58 PM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    Yeah, I have a bat and a machete. My house also stays unlocked and keys in the ignition of all our vehicles. Not that much crime around here but if there was I would change my ways.

19. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:58 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
  20. Jul 8, 2014 at 4:17 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Back to the topic for OP

Go shoot a bunch. ..pick out one you like in a major caliber...don't rule out 9mm or revolver calibers either

Find what fits you the best

Then go buy ammo...lots of it...take classes...practice. ..run some laps before shooting to simulate adrenaline so you can ensure you're able to operate the pistol with only gross motor skills

Practice some more

Buy more guns and have fun!

Products Discussed in

To Top