1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What were some reasons for choosing to buy or own a Toyota Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JP2, Nov 3, 2017.

?

What were some reasons for choosing to buy or own a Toyota Tacoma?

1. Durability/Reliability/Quality.

87.3%
  2. Exterior and interior styling.

38.0%
  3. Trend

1.3%
  4. A friend or family sold me theirs.

1.3%
  5. Pricing, when I bought it new compared to the competition.

7.6%
  6. Pricing, when I bought it used compared to the competition.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I have Japanese ancestry.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I have some Japanese ancestry.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I have some other Asian ancestry.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. It was given to me for a free gift or inheritance.

6.3%
  11. I wanted to buy a Toyoata after viewing one of the Back to the Future films.

13.9%
  12. The nearest dealership is Toyota.

1.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nov 13, 2017 at 5:57 PM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    The poll is useless and is more for entertainment factor IMO. Not one valuable item that was any influence in my decision.

After making my list of what I wanted (Dodge Eco diesel) and then trying different dealer / manufacturer websites I got severely frustrated. I want THIS ONE OPTION but have to build and price a million times to find what trim and options I must have for that ONE OPTION to be available. Toyota’s website was so much easier to navigate. The big 3 basically want you in the dealership talking to their salesman which pissed me off that they have the website to build and price but it is useless and you need to go in for any number to be of any use.

I was forced to buy what the big 3 wanted to sell me instead of what I wanted due to there being $11,000 in incentives on a higher trim and dbl cab. I didn’t want a dbl cab or the options at the better price. So frustrated I started looking at everything else. I had a friend who raves about his 2nd gen to the point of being a certified fan boy. So I gave the Tacoma a shot. At the same time my wife was finalizing her new car (Civic) so I optioned out a Ridgeline just to know. I had been doing the same at Nissan etc as we were in looking for her car so I had some legwork done. Every make had me jumping up from what I wanted to spend to get the options I wanted. Once certain options were explained to me the Tacoma offered some nice features. The fiber reinforced plastic bed solved my hate of bed liners. The stainless exhaust had value to me since most of my trips are short distance under 5 miles (work). The bedrail system was brilliant to me and one of my favorite features. The Tacoma allowed me to use a trailer brake controller (the one feature that was MANDATORY) and exceeded my min towing capacity of 5000lbs. I wanted nav built in as I had been using my full sized iPad, Garman GLO receiver and ram mounts but wanted a factory look. I can always default back to my iPad / GLO systems when required.

In the end I needed to eliminate a few vehicles in the driveway. The Tacoma was fuel efficient enough to be a daily driver, carry loads as required and be a tow vehicle within the known loads I tow regularly. I can rent or borrow a full sized if my needs require it (like last weekend hauling a loaded dump trailer). I didn’t want a full sized truck but figured I needed one until I realized that I could tow and do everything I wanted with a Tacoma.

I married my tacoma and boynoyce like this.
  2. Nov 13, 2017 at 7:37 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    i like to drive fast

3. Nov 13, 2017 at 7:39 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Better Than TRD
    See Build Page
    Can we add Divorce to the list of reasons? o_O

Or, "Cause I make my own decisions."?

parkman and I married my tacoma like this.
  4. Nov 13, 2017 at 7:39 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    Durability. Grandpa and sister both had one. Grandpa had a Toyota truck (80’s I believe) that he bought new. Still was kicking like new when he passed in 2008.

5. Nov 13, 2017 at 7:40 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Better Than TRD
    See Build Page
    LMAO! Definitely some sarcasm there.

6. Nov 13, 2017 at 7:41 PM
    Extra Hard Taco

Extra Hard Taco Survivor of the winter of misery and death.

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Clown World
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    ARB Bumper, SOS sliders, rear bumper, and skid plate. OME Lift. Some other stuff.
    Because they're bad ass man! Where have you been living, a cave?

schecter517 likes this.
  7. Nov 13, 2017 at 7:44 PM
    schecter517

schecter517 MX4LYFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    TRD Pro Wheels Falken WildPeak AT3W 265/70-17 Black Spyder Projector HL w/LED Bar Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights Spec-D Black Tail Lights Truxedo Deuce 2 Tonneau Cover Tinted Windows Bed Mat Debadged Blue LED Interior Lights LED Switchback Turn Signals Led Reverse Lights and License Plate Lights DDM Ultra HID 55W 55K Kit
    For as long as I can remember I’ve always loved Toyota trucks. My dad and step dad had them growing up so I was always around them. My first truck was an 85’ pickup 4 speed with 22R. After that I got my first tacoma. It’s been 14 years since I started driving and I’m on my 3rd tacoma, 4th overall Toyota truck and I’ve never once had a complaint. I will always have a Toyota truck. Can’t go wrong!

8. Jul 20, 2018 at 3:49 AM
    06Tacooo

06Tacooo Earth Czar

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    39° 14' N / 83° 13' W
    Vehicle:
    06 Off Road Access Cab Indigo Ink Pearl
    Michelin Defender LTX M/S2, ABS kill switch, Tech Deck, Mirror riser, Ride-Rites, BF Garmin GPS
    I'm on my third Tacoma. Drunks totaled my first two. Last was a head on fatal at highway speed. I walked away from both. Wife said you're buying another, they saved your bacon. I agree.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    parkman likes this.
  9. Jul 20, 2018 at 8:12 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    It makes a good work platform when you need to work above the garage door.

10. Jul 20, 2018 at 8:18 PM
    Linewalker

Linewalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juh Broh Nee
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Colorado/Canyon and Frontier weren't a consideration. Ergo Tacoma.

So help me God these frames rust too, then it's a different story.:fingerscrossed:

11. Jul 20, 2018 at 8:27 PM
    Poindexter

Poindexter Well-Known Member

Member:
    north of Denali
    Vehicle:
    15 V6 auto 4x4 mag gray
    I am old and arthritic. I don't even play that one song by Toby Keith very often because I know I am not the man I was 40 years ago.

My last vehicle was a Ranger, perfect for me in every way except the tow capacity on mine was class II, and the other problem with that truck was printed on the radiator grill and highlighted with a blue oval.

If I need something done that my Tacoma can't handle I should also hire a younger man to do the work.

12. Jul 21, 2018 at 6:30 PM
    parkman

parkman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Park
    Vehicle:
    2015 Pyrite Tacoma DC TRD OR
    I was tired of my Chevy nickel and dimeing me, I wanted something with bulletproof reliability, I come from a Toyota family and no one EVER had problems with any of them, I wanted a Midsized truck and my choices were (in 2016) GM, Toyota, or Nissan. I don't trust Nissan reliability after my parents owned one and I know to many people who had problems as well. Although I really liked the styling of the Colorado/Canyon once I drove them I didn't like it. GM taking the bailout still angered me as well and Toyota's superior reliability lead me to go with them and I'll probably continue to buy Tacoma's unless Honda made a traditional Midsize to maybe sway me.

13. Jul 21, 2018 at 6:42 PM
    Benny123

Benny123 Kid from the late 70s

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    South Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Speedway Blue Tacoma AC V6 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Replacing everything worn, broken, and rusted.
    Bought an 07 4runner V6 that has stood the test of time. My first foreign car. Immediately began looking at the Tacoma as Toyota has a proven track record.

Prior to that had several American cars that had lots of problems. Chevy, GM and Jeep. Odd and dangerous problems. My 99 Grand Cherokee had the driver seat supports break off entirely from the frame. On the highway. And the rear axle was growling and leaking. All at 89000 miles. I was basically squatting holding the wheel until I could pull over. Fing dangerous. Took it to the dealer in Detroit and they said both happen fairly often and not under any warranty or recall. I said I'm done. Wife had grown up with Honda and Toyota. Traded the Cherokee in on the 4runner & never looked back at US cars. And I didnt get Jack $hit in trade in. I now have 130000 on both the 4runner and Tacoma and neither has had either of these problems happen. Not to mention the 4runner still runs, drives and looks the way I bought it. Incredible.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  14. Jul 21, 2018 at 6:51 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I wanted the slowest vehicle on the Planet and I got the slowest vehicle on the Planet

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    itrsteve, ecoterragaia and boynoyce like this.
  15. Jul 23, 2018 at 6:28 AM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    I had a VW that was c-noting me to death and wanted the most reliable truck I could find to replace it. 130,000 miles later and I have not been disappointed.

16. Jul 23, 2018 at 8:12 AM
    Tacosail

Tacosail Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Hermanville Heights, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '13 white ACLB
    '17 wheels,int. Wipers , bed mat , relocate trailer plug , husky floor liners , Lund nerf bars, wet Okole seat covers- heat & lumbar.
    Bought a Tacoma to tow my sailboat in1999. It was a double lease 1995, 2 wheel drive , regular cab, four banger, with 50000 miles. Drove it four more years until I got a bigger sail boat. Regular maintenance and a rebuilt starter was the only cost of ownership for the 50000 miles I put on it. Then due to a hard-on related incident , I let my wife buy a 1999 dodge intrepid . If it broke before the warranty , it wasn't covered. After the warranty, the really expensive things started to break. Never going to be a mopar fan. Bought a after lease 03 4-runner to replace the insipid, and never looked back. Bought a after lease 02 Avalon for the wife to drive, I drove the 4-Runner another 50000 miles. Next trade-in time, the four runner was worth twice as much as the Avalon, so a 2012 Avalon replaced (after lease, of coarse )it and I borrowed a tow vehicle for a few years. I drove the 02 until it hit175000 miles and I saw a 2013 base access cab at the local car lot. The guy that owns it is real nice and as honest as a car salesman can be. He wouldn't take my car as a trade, said, it will probably go another 175000 miles, but I can't risk my reputation on it. That night I started pricing Tacomas. Sticker shock. All my other Toyota buys, 50000 miles and two years old would save me 8-10000$ ,not on a taco! three years old and 88000 miles and they wanted the same price that they sold it for new. Naturally I bought it. I love the truck.

17. Jul 23, 2018 at 8:33 AM

-40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    01 DC Camburg LT & 17 OR OME BP-51
    1 st Gen TRD Supercharger. URD 7th Inj. Camburg 4x4 LT Kit. Tundra Brakes. 3rd Gen just get’n started, OME BP51 Dakar HD, Camburg UCA & various armor.
    Number 1 reason I purchased.
    It’s size is great for off-roading.
    IMO the Tacoma (1st,2nd or 3rd) is the the best foundation to start your build with. No Gen is perfect, we all agree on that. Just pick your flavor and enjoy. :spending:

18. Nov 13, 2018 at 6:33 AM
    Jay79

Jay79 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Worldwide
    Vehicle:
    2018 Super White TRD OR DC
    Sadly, keeping it European parking garage compliant.
    Durability/Reliability/Quality. Oh, And I didn't want to drop the coin on a fully loaded JLUR/ JT... at least not yet.

parkman likes this.
  19. Nov 13, 2018 at 6:36 AM
    Metallistones

Metallistones Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road
    Leer XQ 100
    I've wanted a nice truck since I was a little girl. Toyotas are by far the most reliable. Tundra was too big for my daily city driving. Tacoma it is!

06Tacooo and parkman like this.
  20. Nov 13, 2018 at 6:40 AM
    Mtn Mike

Mtn Mike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR AC
    Old habits are hard to break. In my 25 years of driving I've owned a Toyota truck for 24 of those years. I'm on my sixth truck and I've loved them all.

Products Discussed in

To Top