1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What would happen???

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by toyota4wd, Jan 17, 2013.

1. chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, lots of buttons, and yellow flashing lights on the dash.
    Ran my 2.7 on the limiter often. Many times, even when supercharged, I floor boarded the throttle, and let it go! Never had an issue.

2. pigger

pigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Applecookie
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma 4x4
    Detroit True-Track rear limited slip, steering rack bushings, shell, SAF decals, older-than-dirt owner
    You can feel the power roll off above 4800rpm, IMO; not much point in exceeding that in most situations. I have hit the rev limiter a few times in times of overexuberance, though; glad it was there.

I don't normally take mine over 5000 rpm. I do shift from 1st to 2nd at around 4800, when I'm trying to get up to speed; these trucks are not fast by any means. They don't really accelerate; they just gather speed.

3. Poodle Head Mikey

Poodle Head Mikey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma standard
    utility cap, ladder rack, frame hitch, sliding bed
    The "redline" is what exactly? The maximum SAFE engine speed. So you could keep the engine running 100 RPM below the redline all day long and be fine.

Stop worrying. You could probably run the engine at 150% of the redline for a good long while and nothing but maybe a higher wear rate would happen.

I used to run small block Chevy and air cooled VW engines at 150% of the redline routinely and nothing bad ever happened. These Toyota engines aren't delicate little babies - they are tough, hell-for-stout Machines.

Yes; I would normally try to avoid exceeding the redline - but if I did go over; nothing bad would happen for a good long while. The redline is not some magical threshold - it's more of a suggestion.

PHM
    ------

To Top