1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What would you do? Free oil change or DIY?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by CopDoctor, Mar 12, 2010.

?

What would you do?

Poll closed Apr 11, 2010.
  1. 2yrs of free Quaker State

39.1%
  2. Purchase and DIY Mobile 1

60.9%
  1. Mar 12, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
    Today I just passed my first 3000 and decided to take it into the dealership I bought it from to get my first free oil change. I got a 2yr free oil change deal from them. Anyway I asked if there was a way I could specify what oil to use, guy said "no we use quaker state, that a problem?" i sheepishly said no and let them do their thing. in hind site i would have liked to get mobile 1 from someone else, wouldn't even mind paying them or just doing it myself.

ANYWAY, what would you do? Stick to 2yrs of free quaker state or buying everything and doing it myself using mobile 1?

PS no harm in switching to full synthetic now right? i'm at 80k

2. Mar 12, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Almost guarantee it's NOT syth they are using-If that's what you want then you need to switch to DIY....

3. Mar 12, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.
    do it yourself. i trust my own maintenance, no one else's. unless they are helping me or i am actively watching.

4. Mar 12, 2010 at 3:09 PM
    CopDoctor

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    would it be worth it though? i guess that's my real question. would you rather get free conventional oil or pay for synthetic?

5. Mar 12, 2010 at 3:15 PM
    djs05tacoma

djs05tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab TRD offroad 4x4
    3" OME Lift, 285's
    I'd say just let them do it, but I drive about 25-30k a year so that would be a quite a few $$ over the course of 2 years that they would save me, unless they have a limited number of oil changes they'll throw in. If you change your mind you can always switch to M1 down the road.

6. Mar 12, 2010 at 3:42 PM
    Taco.Tim

Taco.Tim Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2010 Buhlue Access Cab 2WD
    Looking!
    I will never use Quaker State again. Ever.

7. Mar 27, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    oooooook, did a quaker state truck run over your dog or something? Statements like that usually come with some information to substantiate them.

If you bring the truck in every 3k and they change the oil and filter no cash out of pocket and no issues then hell yea keep it up.

8. Mar 27, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    if you decide to do it yourself, ask for a refund on the oil changes that you already paid for.

i for one, don't worry to much about dealer oil.

9. Mar 27, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    My last Toyota went close to 350,000 miles useing nothing but Quaker State oil. When I sold the truck the engine was as strong as the day I bought it...never had one issue.

10. Mar 27, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    How many miles do you put on the truck in a year? If that were me, it'd only be about 3 oil changes (or about 15,000 miles). So - it wouldn't be saving me much and I'd probably just DIY.

But on the other other hand..... you've got 80K miles on the truck, it's FREE, and saves you time from having to do it. Let them do it!!

Nothing wrong with using synthetic at 80K miles - however, you might notice oil seepage where you didn't have it before or maybe even burn oil. I had a 96 tacoma that I started using synthetics at 60K miles - the oil pan started seeping and I burned about 1/2 quart of oil every 4,000 miles.
    So if you're concerned about that.... I'd just stick with conventional.

11. Mar 27, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    javataco

javataco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5 4x4
    Man how did you get that deal?! I would love to have that! I have 42,000 on my taco and I just bought it June 24th. I am looking at 70,000 miles per year that would be a nice savings!!:eek:

12. Mar 27, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    CopDoctor

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    thanks for the advice!

i also took em for a free 2nd master key also. i battled with them cause my truck was about 2 weeks late and it was purchased about 8hrs away from where we live...i could have picked it up myself but they wouldn't let me so i caused a scene and bam, free key and oil changes :)

Products Discussed in

To Top