1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Would YOU do? (Mod guidance question)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Coronach, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Mar 1, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    Coronach

Coronach [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    OH! IO!
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Double Cab Long Bed
    ARB Bumper, Toytec Boss coilovers, OME Dakkars, coffee stains
    So, I have a new 2011 DCLB SR5 4x4 with the tow package that is, for all practical purposes, completely stock (I've done some minor interior mods and swapped out the factory HU, speakers are next). I've done no lift, have OEM tires, etc. I'm tryng to figure out what practical mods will make this a better truck for me, given my intended use for it. By 'practical' I mean non-cosmetic stuff. I know that the Hood Skewp adds all sorts of style points, along with debadging, etc, but I'm asking for stuff that will actually make the truck run better, work harder, do more, etc.

My intended use:

1. Daily driver. I have an 80 mile round-trip commute, made on paved roads. Retaining highway driveability is a must. Improving mileage would be nice, too, but I know that it's a truck, not a Prius.

2. Unimproved road use. I will probably never take this rig recreationally 4-wheeling, but I will certainly use it when camping on logging roads and various other sorts of unpaved surfaces. The ability to handle that easily, especially in instances of mud and snow would be good.

3. Hauling. I rarely tow anything, but I have the tow package. The biggest thing I ever towed in my old truck (F150) was a trailer with a bobcat on it, and I think I towed that all of 5 miles (one way). I did, however, use my F150 to get mulch, gravel, railroad ties, etc and haul them up my gravel driveway. Standard country-truck use. I'll use the Taco for this, too, but I suspect I'll have to keep an eye on weights/capacities. It may be worthwhile to get a trailer. I also have a motorcycle that is a high maintenance endevour (Royal Enfield Bullet, fun ride but we're talking British 1950s technology here), so that trailer may come in handy that way, too.

4. Snow. We live out in the country. Some winters are nothing (this one, so far). Some winters are more entertaining. I won't pretend that central Ohio gets a lot of snow (my family is originally from Erie, PA, so I scoff at central Ohio's snow-driving skill), but when we get it I NEED to go to work. And my driveway is more like a steep hillside with some gravel on it. So, snow/ice performance is a must.

Now, what I don't want to do is as follows:

I don't really want to do a lift. This is not a dedicated off-road vehicle, and my wife and kids need to be comfortable driving it and getting in and out. I'm okay with bigger tires (which will lift the frame), but I don't really want to do a 3" or 6" lift.

I don't want to do anything that is going to adversely affect daily driveability.

So, I'm looking for tire/rim recomendations, any driveline mods that are worthwhile (like the rear diff breather move, that's on my list to do), suspension mods (airbags? helper springs?), etc. As to wheels, I figure that I'll go with a good general purpose tire and maybe some dedicated snow tires/rims for winter, but I dunno which and I'm not sold on this plan.

What say ye?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Mar 1, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    Coronach

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    OH! IO!
    Vehicle:
    Sell it for an '85 Ford Ranger, you say? ;)

(Bump for the evening crew)

3. Mar 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    Frankoo1234

Frankoo1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab 05 Taco PreRunner
    Running boards, Tint
    ok practical stuff....

1)Keep maintanence on your truck to a tee! change the oil when needed (synthetic mobile one and OEM filter)Clean engine air filter, keep the MAF sensor clean (dont really neeed to do it alll the time but it helps maybe ones you get to the high miles... spark plugs.. ALLLLLL the MAINTENCE things you can think of.. keep it too a tee and dont cheap out on it.
    2)Keep your tires aired up propperly.. some do the chalk technique to check for right pressure..
    3)Maybe get your self a KandN Engine Air Filter or an AFE pro dry S.. I have HEARD that it improves your mpgs but not by a lot (keep in mind some say it lets more dirt in. If you live in a messy area you probably shouldnt do it.. Dont get a cold air intake.. most say its not worth the money.
    4)Wheels... a good AT tire looks nice and helps when doing the offroading you say you might do.. I have the Hankooks. they look beast but havent had the chance to test them out.. also didnt spend an arm and a leg like the BFG AT..
    5) Thats all i got haha.. From what you described thats pretty much all i know that would improve or keep your ride in good shape!

Hope that helps atleast a little haha

4. Mar 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Long travel suspension, 37's on bead locks, and a roll cage. IMO, that would be the most practical performance mods you could make for your scenario.

5. Mar 1, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    jhu616

jhu616 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tripp
    GA
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 6-Speed TRD Off-Road
    Magnaflow Exhaust, Bilstein 5100s, Eibach Coils, Toytec AAL, Black Baja Wheels, Ipod Hookup, Diff breather
    I would say:

1. Just get a nice set of AT tires in 265/75-16
    2. Get the real TSB for your leaf springs
    3. Buy a set of Bilstein 5100s for all 4 corners-set the fronts at 0
    4. Get a set of eibach coils (they give you 1.6 inches of lift, and they ride 10x better than stock)

Then call it a day! Your truck will ride better with the 5100s and eibachs, you will be a little higher b/c of the bigger tires and the eibachs (But not much! probably just perfectly level) and the rear leaf tsb will help you out with towing and hauling

6. Mar 1, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    Frankoo1234

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    Running boards, Tint
    ooo yess i forgot like Username said.. need a ROLL CAGE!!!

7. Mar 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Mulch, gravel, railroad ties? Load that bugger up, take a picture, get rear spring TSB from Toyota like it should have had from the factory.

Best mileage and snow/ice traction will be on 245 treadwidth tires. Better mud floatation and dirt traction on 265s.

8. Mar 2, 2012 at 12:06 AM
    Coronach

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    OH! IO!
    Vehicle:
    Oh, a comedian :)

9. Mar 2, 2012 at 5:01 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    This ^ I am pretty much in the boat as you OP and this is my setup minus the 5100's. :D

10. Mar 2, 2012 at 5:04 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
  11. Mar 2, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    Coronach

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    OH! IO!
    Vehicle:
    Hahahahhahahaha, no.

I have a Dodge Charger with a Hemi for those times when I want to go fast. The Taco will never be fast, so I'm not going to spend cubic money when the solution is cubic inches and already sitting in the driveway under a different hood. ;)

12. Mar 2, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    Frankoo1234

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    Running boards, Tint
    how much do the billies and eibaches cost all together??

Products Discussed in

To Top