1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What would you do to stop body rust from drilled holes by previous owner?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ecodrive, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Mar 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM
    ecodrive

ecodrive [OP] Member

Member:
    Maui, HI
    Vehicle:
    4x4 4cyl 5spd
    Surf Rack, Weathertech Digital Floormats, PA15-TOY USA Spec ipod/rca connector, window tint, wet okole seat covers, paddle holder
    The truck was t-boned during the previous owners (PO) time with it. It appears that they tried to pull out the dent by drilling four holes into the rocker panel. However its still dented and the holes were not fixed. I am concerned about it rusting out. Although I don't really care if the dent gets straighten-out or not as its a truck (i.e. a tool or utility).

I took it to a body shop when I first bought the truck and was quoted at around $500. Now that I have some money to fix it I took it to a reputable body shop (different than the first) and they quoted me at $2,000 to fix it.

My questions to you are: Is that a ridiculous price? Is that normal? Is there something I can do myself to prevent rusting?

Thanks in advance.

DSC_0095.jpg
    DSC_0094.jpg

2. Mar 20, 2012 at 6:36 AM
    BeerHat

BeerHat Got Beer?

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner 4x4
    PreRunner 4x4, Homebrew Front Bumper, Homebrew Sliders, Homebrew Skids, Homebrew Bedbar, Homebrew Beer
    You can spray some ospho/navel jelly (phosphoric acid) which converts rust to a ferric phosphate then sand it down; fill the holes with either fiberglass/bondo or weld. Primer, paint, and some clear coat....call it good.

I just fixed my rocker panel that had a good size dent(not like yours though) on my truck; took about 4 hrs, most of it was drying time and final sanding. Cost was about $15 bucks to get a can of bondo and some sand paper.

3. Mar 20, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honestly that is an easy fix. Now mind you doing it yourself might not come out as good as the body shop, but it will be better than it is now, with no rust, and it will still look decent. Personally this is what I'd do.

1.) Sand the area smooth starting with 80 grit sand paper than up to 320.
    2.) You may have to use an axle grinder as it looks like the holes protrude up (like a volcano). They have to be smooth.
    3.) Than use a body filler like Bondo to fill in the hole and smooth and "float" over the area.
    4.) Sand the area smooth starting with 320 grit.
    5.) Spray with with an OEM color matched spray can from this company. They also sell a clear coat with it. I've personally used them and the color match was spot on.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

4. Mar 20, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    To do it right the holes need to be welded shut, after straightening the panel, then after you finish with some filler you won't have to worry about the filler bubbleing in the future, if you do a half ass job, try and get at the holes from the inside of the trk because there is rust there also.I did this shit for a living and shortcuts just don't work!

Products Discussed in

To Top