1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by 4x4Addict, Mar 12, 2019.

1. May 7, 2019 at 9:54 AM
    4x4Addict

4x4Addict [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Vehicle:
    1996 4Runner SR5
    All in all I will have a completely rebuilt front end including a new steering rack (thanks Toyota Concord) and will be ready for some more trials.:burnrubber:

2. May 7, 2019 at 11:17 AM
    sd1uh8as

sd1uh8as Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma OR DCLB
    Are you replacing the LBJ as well? I know the 3rd gens had that issue, especially now that it's lifted.

3. May 7, 2019 at 11:39 AM
    4x4Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Vehicle:
    1996 4Runner SR5
    Already done, I replaced both upper and lower bjs not too long ago with brand new OEM parts Hopefully by this weekend I’ll have a brand new front end

sd1uh8as likes this.
  4. May 7, 2019 at 11:41 AM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    I just went through a similar issue with the brakes on my '97 4Runner. Now Big O tires is independently owned and so each store is different. Fortunately the one by my house has treated me well for years and I trust them. My brakes weren't spongy but they just wouldn't grab very hard. They brakes either need to skid the tires or anti-lock should kick in but didn't no matter how hard I romped on them. I replaced master cylinder, vacuum assist (expensive), checked for leaks in all 4 corners, did a bleed of all fluid from the MS to the caliper, made sure the rear shoes just barely weren't touching the drum and nothing seems to fix it. I finally took it to Big O and all they did was clean up and grease the rear brake mechanisms so the parts were all moving as new. They charged me a $100 minimum and now it stops on a dime.

Find a good mechanic that wants your business. Dealers want easy repairs that they can charge a fortune for. If a scan tool doesn't tell them what to fix, many aren't dedicated enough to look elsewhere or just replace every component.

4x4Addict[OP] likes this.
  5. May 7, 2019 at 11:48 AM
    4x4Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Vehicle:
    1996 4Runner SR5
    Yeah I had to learn that lesson the hard way unfortunately... I love working on cars so I try to do everything I possibly can but I originally though the problem was with the abs so that’s when I threw in the towel.

That’s actually what mine is doing now, skidding the tires before the abs kicks in. I changed the rear breaks though, completely rebuilt them with new pads and even new cylinders back there. Maybe it’s time for new brake lines? (I always though that they were fine as long as there aren’t any leaks though?)

6. May 7, 2019 at 11:54 AM
    snozberries

snozberries is forever trying to find a campsite

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand
    Tires, Rack, LED bar, RTT, etc.
    I've had nothing but bad experiences at Toyota Concord. When I was originally in the market for a new Tacoma, they weren't very helpful (assuming it's because I looked young). Ended up getting mine up in Oregon.

Brought it in semi-recently for a standard oil change and it was a huge headache. Took the shuttle back to my place and was waiting for a call that it was done. An hour passes...nothing. Two hours...nothing. I finally call and get nothing. Shop ended up closing but the sales people were still there. Ended up having my fiance get off work early to bring me down and then the service advisor (younger girl) was the biggest piece of work. Ended up yelling at her and getting the service manager.

They still never called me back after wanting to talk with them about it...

4x4Addict[OP] likes this.
  7. May 7, 2019 at 1:54 PM
    kalieaire

kalieaire i didn't know they stacked sh*t that high.

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road 4x4 AC V6 6MT
    Adventure Trailers Atlas, Demello Sliders, BAMF Skids, PelfreyBilt Bumpers, SCS Ray 10
    Wow, 440k. I would replace *all* the rubber at or around 200k if it hadn't already been.

This is everything from cab mounts, diff, suspension, engine, belts, hoses, seals, door seals, vent boxes, wipers, window trim, etc.

Brake calipers over time go bad because the seals can wear out, the fluid could dry up and create varnish on the inside of the piston walls. They need to be checked and resurfaced if necessary.

Ideally, after the work is completed, the vehicle will feel like a new one.

Taco-Obsessed and 4x4Addict[OP] like this.
  8. May 7, 2019 at 5:13 PM
    4x4Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Vehicle:
    1996 4Runner SR5
    They are horrible. The service manager didn't care in the slightest and they went days without calling me back. I will certainly never be going back there, buying a vehicle from them or ever having anything to do with that dealership again...

snozberries[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. May 7, 2019 at 5:15 PM
    4x4Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Vehicle:
    1996 4Runner SR5
    The dealership claimed that they checked the calipers and said they are all fine. Not sure I can trust anything they say though.. As for the rubber that is the plan, slowly but surly. All new belts and hoses already though!

10. May 7, 2019 at 7:25 PM
    kalieaire

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    Adventure Trailers Atlas, Demello Sliders, BAMF Skids, PelfreyBilt Bumpers, SCS Ray 10
    They probably did a cursory check. Ideally you'd just take the brakes apart and add compressed air until the pistons pop out. Then you'd remove any junk from the cylinder walls and pistons, replace all the o-rings, and hone the walls if needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzioBB7KZXU

As a matter of course, I would at the same time I'd use Por-15 metal prep to clean up the exterior before painting them.

11. May 7, 2019 at 7:28 PM
    4x4Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Vehicle:
    1996 4Runner SR5
    Good to know!! I am going to redo the rear end of the rig pretty soon here, new suspension, factory e-locker, new driveshaft. I think I am going to get the extended brake lines for the rear at the same time as well as convert the rear over to disk so when that time comes I will absolutely be checking out the front calipers as well!

12. May 7, 2019 at 7:31 PM
    kalieaire

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    If you have a factory e-locker it's probably fine. You need to fix the actuator though if it's giving you grief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqPmA0J0Zco

BTW, why aren't you on norcal t4r since you have.. t4r..?

4x4Addict[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. May 7, 2019 at 7:32 PM
    4x4Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Vehicle:
    1996 4Runner SR5
    I got lucky and have the awesome open diff.. I didnt know any better when I bought the rig at 18yo. And Norcal T4R?

14. May 7, 2019 at 9:08 PM
    HAVING FUN

HAVING FUN Old Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Leonard
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    08 4runner
    T4R.ORG

If anything, more info research for you on your ride.

15. May 9, 2019 at 8:50 AM
    4x4Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Vehicle:
    1996 4Runner SR5
    I had no idea that was there. Alright last question... Ive got nearly 450k miles on this rig and I am gonna change the oil while I am under the rig, what does everyone think about running a slightly heavier weight oil from now on? I am thinking about switching to 20W50. (Instead of 5W30)

16. May 9, 2019 at 9:06 AM
    HAVING FUN

HAVING FUN Old Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Leonard
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    08 4runner
    Not sure honestly. Check out that site, lot of others there on individual gens would be able to provide better info for you.

I'm more on this site, but, over there I can get more specific info as there's more of the same rigs and things that happen or look out for.

17. May 9, 2019 at 10:04 AM
    kalieaire

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    No.

18. Aug 18, 2019 at 1:42 PM
    4x4Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Vehicle:
    1996 4Runner SR5
    Alright everyone it's time for the big update. I just finished a huge overhaul of the rig and got back from a shakedown trip this afternoon. I ended up getting reinforced adjustable rear lower control arms, adjustable panhard bar, new bushings for rear upper control arms... that was just for the rear axel and to get it realigned under the rig. Then I put on extended stainless steel brake lines (front and back), new calipers/rotors/pads. The rig stops on a dime now. I got all of my pedal back (I had to push it to the floor to get any stopping power). The thing rides super smooth and feels amazing both on and off road. So long story short, braided stainless steel brake lines and rebuild and I would've saved a lot of money/time and headache rather than taking it to Toyota Concord. Hopefully someone will read this and avoid making the same mistakes I did! Thanks for all the help everyone!

Products Discussed in

To Top