1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What would you have done?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jdickey03, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:23 AM
    jdickey03

jdickey03 [OP] $enior M3MB3R

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    (SOLD)2006 Tacoma trd offroad
    3" skyjacker Lift,Pioneer touch screen unit. Relentless Rear Bumper.
    Alright guys so I'm up now cause of all the adrenaline running through Me and I have work in a couple hrs... So I'm sleeping and my fiancé is watching tv laying in bed. I feel her push against my side but didn't think anything of it. She does it a couple more times and wakes me up whispering "did you hear that??" so I listen and here some papers rustling around in which sounds to be the front room. I turn down the tv and reach for my glock which isnt there. I had gone shooting last weekend and forgot I left my guns at my dads house.(rookie I know) so we live in a one bedroom duplex and Im listening to what it could be. Sometimes we hear the neighbors walking around but this was too close to be them. The only thing I can think of is someone is in my house. So I grab the two closest weapons (a baseball bat and my fiancées small tazer. I told her to get in the closet and call the police and my dad to come over since he lives down the road and might show up before the police. Anyways I loudly close our bedroom door and lock it talking to the dispatcher. I keep looking at my dog thinking why isn't he barking (he's Bullmastiff mix and can be intimidating if you don't know him) So here I am basically barracading ourselves in our room. I hear the deputy at the door with my dad knocking and ringing the door bell, but the dispatcher tells us not to answer cause that's the room we thought the intruder was in. So finally I get a phone call from my dad and the deputy comes to our bedroom window to talk. Turns out we had Gang of raccoons(8) invading our garbage can which is right outside our bathroom window, which echoed and sounded like the front room. So I'm definately embarrassed and apologize to the officer to which he says better be safe then sorry and says I should go pick up my guns tomorrow. What would you guys have done? It definately had my heart pumping and i might have handled it differently with my pistol or shotgun but doubt it. I was just worried about keeping the lady safe and hidden till someone else comes. This wasn't out of the blue cause our other neighbors had a break in about 4months ago while they were gone. And we just got back from a trip today. Also I guess I should ask if any one knows the legality of shooting someone in your home in california. I keep hearing/ reading they have to be threatening you and facing you but not sure if this is correct. Wouldn't doubt it though since this is California.

2. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:31 AM
    jeckel7234

jeckel7234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Add-a-Leaf, Leveling Kit, 31.5 Nitto Grapplers, Mag-Lite Mod, Anit-Key in the ignition beep mod, Tail gate theft mod, Trifecta tonneau cover, washable cabin air filter,
    man thats a shitty situation, i would of hated to reach over my "go to" weapon and it not be there. and idk as far as the laws in cali, but i know theres tons of other posts on here about it, and i think cali is one of those states thats f'd up with self defense laws

3. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:33 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    Well, I think you did the smart thing. Better to have to apologize for being overly cautious than apologizing for being stupid later (meaning, you or your fiance got hurt or worse). Not sure about California's laws... here in Texas we have the Castle doctrine/law = you have no obligation to retreat in your own home/car, and may use any means of self defense if someone is violating your "castle," or even stealing your property.

Again, I think you did the right thing here and should be proud of the way you handled it. On a side note, a gang of raccoons can be vicious! J/K!

4. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:46 AM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    haha I didn't even think of the noise being an animal. It's weird cause normally our neighbors leave their dogs out so they will also bark if they hear anything...guess tonight they decided to take them inside?:confused:

as for the weapons, I have two go to guns a 20gauge pump and my glock 17. Unfortunately like i said we went shooting. and I took those two guns because I wanted my lady to have practice using these(just incase). I just made the mistake of taking the guns back to my dads to clean, and we had to go somewhere right after so i didnt want to drive around with them in the truck..I should have just took 5 min, to drive to my house and drop them off..oops.

and i think california has one of those dumb laws that if you shoot someone in your house you can get in trouble for it...But i'm not sure cause I know a guy who was tied up and robbed, but as the robbers were running out his door he shot one in the back...but never got in trouble for it.. so i have no idea.. I mean technically he wasn't in danger if they were leaving the house(or atleast thats how california would see it):mad:

5. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:48 AM
    junglefighter25

junglefighter25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1996, 1999, 2011, 2013, 2016 Tacoma
    You handled it like a champ. Good use of guts and restraint. I really hope that your girl threw some mucho sexo at you for keeping her safe.
    I really don't see mistake #1 in how you handled that.

6. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:53 AM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    You did it well if you ask me. I'd just make sure you get your guns and have them ready

7. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:53 AM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    haha didn't get any of the mucho sexo...atleast not tonight... I was suprised how well she handled it also, normally she has her own ideas how to handle a situation but I told her to grab her phone and sit in the corner of the closet with the tazer. Wasn't trying to be a hero by any means haha I probably should have yelled a couple time maybe(now it obviously seems that it would have been unnecessary), I mean if someone WAS in the house they would have had to of known we were home considering both trucks are here and the tv was on:confused:

8. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:54 AM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Frankly, I'd take the chance in California or anywhere. Someone is in your house uninvited, rummaging through your shit in the wee hours is not there to sell you something. Dead men tell no tails and I would do anything to protect one of mine or myself--no questions asked. I know many states require that before you confront someone in your own home, they must be making some threat or you must feel threatened, or you have a "duty to retreat." Fuck that. Who wouldn't feel threatened by anyone who broke into their home, day or night. I say put them down right then and there to at least shut them up forever and not lose any sleep over it.

Damn, there are too many states that extend greater rights to the perp than to the victim! I imagine California may be one of those states but I'm unsure. Allot of fuxated laws in some parts of this country.

9. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:55 AM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    oh I'm definately picking up all the guns after work today haha. The look in her eyes when I told her I didnt have my gun just killed me. Here she is, a girl who isn't a big fan of having a go to gun in the room and the one time she wishes it was there its gone.

10. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:58 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    guns or not you handled it properly

unless you have prior training on building clearing...your best bet is for you and yours to hunker down and call the police

11. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:00 AM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Yep, gotta protect your own by any means necessary. I'm sure she is proud of the way you handled it but having a gun sure would've eased her mind I bet. Lesson learned: always make sure your guns are close by and under your control and you'll be prepared for any eventuality. That being said, even if you had a gun, it was best you barricaded yourself and called the police. Unless you had family/friends in the other part of the house you needed to protect, it was best you awaited the police and let them confront whomever. Here in Texas, we have a lot of home "invasions," which ares sort of like a small armed flash mob that move quickly and violently. You never want to confront those types if at all possible. Hiding out with your weapons at the ready and calling 911 is the best thing to do IMO.

12. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:00 AM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I dont understand that shit, Ive heard of stories of peoples houses getting broken into and the intruder gets injured and sues the homeowner..pisses me off. I can't remember where I heard it from, i think it was a comedian or something, basically he was like "shoot them in the back once and wait till they turn around to see who shot them to shoot them again that way it looks like you shot them from the front" Then i hear others like shoot them below the waist or something? All the range shooting I do is head and chest, So if It came down to it i'd be aiming there.

13. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:01 AM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Yep... best advice. Good job!

14. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:03 AM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that was the shitty part, was here I have the officer banging on the door, and ringing the door bell. And im like shit he probably thinks somethings up since were not answering. Finally he came around to the back yard and I saw his flashlight so i peeked through the blinds then opened it up to talk to him.

At the time I was like shit, this isn't happening...
    ...now im like you pussy

15. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:04 AM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Don't feel bad. You did the right thing. You weren't being a pussy... you were being smart.

16. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:06 AM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:

Yeah the first thing I was thinking was "call dad he has the guns" So i call and im like hey this is going on come over bring a weapon. Then I'm like you dumbass the cops are comming and it'd look bad seeing this guy outside my house with a gun. So I called back "uhh bring the gun just leave it on your hip, the cops are comming" thats when he was like " you called me before you called the cops!?!!" ...I figured he'd get here faster

17. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:07 AM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    ha thanks, the hearts still pounding, and she's in the bedroom snoozing away like it didn't phase her :rolleyes:

18. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:08 AM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Still, it turned out all right. Every day we learn something new and hopefully these little instances teach us something useful.

19. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:09 AM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    She's resting peacefully because she has confidence in you to handle any threat. I'd take it as a compliment.

20. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:15 AM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    haha thanks man. im glad it was just this and not something more. It was funny cause it sounded like they were in the front room, and im thinking shit my keys are there, her keys are their, my medicines there, my wallet etc... the good grab and go stuff. I'd hear paper get moved and i'm like are they trying to take bank stuff???? haha just thinking of the worst...

But when the deputy was like it was just racoons, I guess I was still half asleep, and I looked at him for a second thinking "how the hell did a racoon get in the house" then he was like uhh in your garbage...

Products Discussed in

To Top