1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's a reasonable price for having a muffler put on? (rant included)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoCo, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Jan 22, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo [OP] Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    I just stopped by the local garage to inquire about having my stock muffler cut out and a new one welded on. The guy that I spoke to was a total ass, and I'm a bit annoyed, so I'm thinking that I may just go with a cat-back rather than give them my business.

He started off by saying that I may void my factory warranty :rolleyes:, so right then I should have walked out. Then he went on to say that it would be up to 2 hours of labor to take off the stock exhaust, weld in the new muffler and reinstall the exhaust... at $118 per hour! He suggested that I get a cat-back and bring it in for them to install (at $118 an hour, yeah right!). I reminded him that the whole reason I was considering just having a muffler welded on instead of getting a cat-back was to save some money. Then he suggested that I could get a muffler welded on at Midas or something along those lines next time I'm in Denver... :eek: I couldn't believe at that point that he was basically saying that he didn't want my business in the middle of a goddamn recession! Good luck with that.

2. Jan 22, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    WTF? My exhaust was too long for my truck, so I had a local shop custom fit my catback for only $90. That included taking off the stock one.

3. Jan 22, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...That shop is shiat-tay...Keep looking.

Good luck!!

4. Jan 22, 2009 at 1:04 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '05 4runner SR5 v8
    it was about 5 years ago, but when i got a magnaflow muffler and install for my 98 prerunner for less than $120 OTD from a local midas.

5. Jan 22, 2009 at 3:19 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I paid $89 for installing my Magnaflow (purchased elsewhere) and for a chrome tip (purchased there). They also had to add a short piece of pipe because the Magnaflow is shorter than OEM.

6. Jan 22, 2009 at 3:23 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    dynaflow all the way man, love the rumble and sound not to loud but still lets you know its there

7. Jan 22, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
  8. Jan 22, 2009 at 4:28 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra TRDRW
    Nada, Zip, Zilch, Nothing
To Top