1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's bad about Fram oil filters?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Claudio D, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Jul 12, 2009 at 9:54 PM
    Yuma Taco

Yuma Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Yuma, Az
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC TRD
    35% tint windows, OEM black running boards, OEM black roof rack, Foglight mod, De-badged & Sockmonkey Horns decals added, Two ammo box storage units (removed), 110 volt & 12 volt outlets for back seat area, EGR Slimline inchannel visors (all windows), Fold-A-Cover G4, Tonneau, Bedmat.
    I remember reading an article in Consumers Report that compared oil filters and Fram came in first as the best for filtering. (Now this was at least ten or more years ago!) And if Fram was SO bad wouldn't the manufactures state that you would void your warranty if you used Fram?

I have used Fram on and off for more than 30 years and I have never had any problems. Now again that is not having my oil tested so I could be wrong, but......
    I'm of the thought, don't put in the cheapest, and change on a regular and timely basis. :)

Yuma Taco,

2. Jul 13, 2009 at 8:28 AM
    Hootbro

Hootbro Omnipotent

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR/SX Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 3.5L
    Care makers will rarely if never, comment on the suitability of aftermarket non OEM parts. As liability of that failed non OEM part will be differed to that aftermarket manufacturer.

Fram is a classic example of legacy marketing. In other words, people are conditioned that if "Dad" used Frams, then they must be ok and the cycle continues. The reality is that Fram makes the cheapest construction filter but charges a premium price. This price is to offset their marketing cost and maintain sizeable market share. Better filters can be had for less and that is pure fact that has been proven over and over again.

People sometimes just can not accept that they have been buying a pig in poke when it comes to a standard Fram filter and the natural reaction is to be defensive.

3. Jul 13, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I look at it this way: I used to mow lawns for a living. Since I also repaired small engines, I used equipment that was sometimes decades old. One of my mowers was over 35 years old and had never been rebuilt. None of these engines had oil filters. Yet they ran and ran and ran, even though they were used in filthy, dusty conditions.

The only thing an oil filter does is to remove small metal particulate matter that might score the cylinder walls over time. Thus you really don't need to have a very complex filer medium to do the job. My brother has a 98 Avalon with 265,000 miles. My 96 Taco has 220,000 miles. My Dad's Tundra has 225,000 miles. My Mom's previous Camry had 230,000 miles. In all of these vehicles we tend to use the cheapest filters and plain-jane oil from Wal-Mart. We just change the oil every 3,000 miles and wallah- no problems.

Its kind of like car wax and other stuff that you can just as easily become obsessive compulsive about but achieve no different outcome over the guy who just buys the plain-ole' stuff and gets the same hundreds of thousands of miles without a problem.

J Williams likes this.
  4. Jul 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Actually the "plain-jane" Wal-Mart oil filters (SuperTech) come highly regarded on the bobistheoilguy.com fourms.

5. Jul 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM
    sriley727

sriley727 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aiken, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 Reg cab PreRunner SR5
    Bone stock
    Fram uses inferior seals, filter media,...well inferior everything. I've also been told there is fiberglass in their filter media which could reak havoc to machined surfaces in the engine should they break loose from the media. Fram has a sister brand that is also garbage, I think its STP filters.

The rest of the filter manufacturers use better parts. I'm a former NAPA employee so I'm loyal to Wix.

J Williams likes this.
  6. Aug 6, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab
    Fram really catches heck wherever there is a oil topic, My experience with Fram has been very positive, I have driven cars and trucks literally hundreds of thousands of miles and have used nothing but Fram and haven't had any problems, Now that is not to say Fram is a Great filter, just that I haven't had a problem, and I am going to continue to do so. I also remember when Penzoil was a very popular oil, the past few years it has really been given a bad rap, In fact I quite using it in the early 70's because of the bad reports, (don't know if any were true) but I put a lot of miles on using Penzoil, Use what works for you. D

7. Aug 6, 2009 at 1:33 PM
    otter

otter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    MI
    Vehicle:
    09 4 cyl Reg Cab
    I will only use OEM, Purolator, and/or Mobil 1 oil filters on any of my 3 cars. For those that use Fram and say they haven't been a problem, get an oil analysis and see what shows up.

8. Aug 6, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab
    Maybe its your oil, (just say'n) Yes, I maybe should get it annualized, but I have never felt the need, 275K, 195k, currently 130k & 165k, all have seen nothing but Fram (except when new) all were purchased new, I am not saying Fram is all that, as I now there are a lot of good filters as there is a lot of good oil, but Fram has served me well, D

9. Aug 6, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    Hootbro

Hootbro Omnipotent

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR/SX Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 3.5L
    So given all the empirical evidence that Frams are half the quality and twice the cost of most other filters, you will still continue to use them? This is like stating you will continue to have unprotected sex with prostitutes because you are still clean of STD's. Simply amazing!

10. Aug 6, 2009 at 6:19 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Ok,

lets beat this "Fram horse" again......5 Camrys with 100000 plus miles; Castrol 5w-30 and Fram filters every 5000 miles,3 Taco's all with 30000 plus miles 5w-30 Castrol/fram filters every 5000 miles; asst'd Toyotas for my son ( beats the hell outta them...) 5w-30 and FRAM filters...We have NEVER had a motor apart for an oil related problem....Head gaskets on the '92 runner and timing belts on 2 Camry's, both preventive.........

I love my TOYOTA's and trust my Castrol and Fram to keep them maintained...even though I am still a "Rookie" owning them since '81;)

Snoope back quiet

11. Aug 8, 2009 at 5:28 PM
    oldtimertoyota

oldtimertoyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2009 4X4 Double Cab-1986 2wd Pickup Orig own
    I've had my old truck since new in 1986, I have always been good about oil changes, most the time at 3,000 though I have went as high as 5,000. Since new I've always used the most affordable oil filters, fram, stp etc. The truck now has 328,000 miles(with no engine work thus far) and is just finally starting to use a little oil. So lets say I've had approx. 100 oil changes so far, the OEM filter is around $10 and I think most the filters I used were $4 so I saved approx. $6 per oil change, thats $600.00. I should say I always use castrol or valvoline for my oil.

Now all that being said, in my 2009 truck I will still start my oil changes by using the OEM, just til I get comfortable with the truck!

12. Aug 9, 2009 at 2:00 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    [​IMG]

Even the most expensive & best condoms can break.

13. Aug 29, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    bambooshoots

bambooshoots Be a fountain, not a drain.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    I use Purolator filters and Mobil 1 5W-30 oil.

With this setup I have a piece of mind of not having to worry about my oil/filter combo.

14. Dec 1, 2009 at 2:10 AM
    revhappyleon

revhappyleon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    Tampa near macdill
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner V6 6-speed(custom dual exhaust)
    dual exhaust, foglight anytime, satoshi, chlm, aux backup lights and electric fan conversion
    i worked as a lube guy to for some time and the only beef i've got with fram is that they tend to leave the gasket behind when you pull them off so i just learned to always check for that and it's saved my ass more than a couple of times

Hamer95USA likes this.
  15. Dec 1, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    I use Purolator Pure One. The other good ones are OEM (pretty sure built by purolator) and Napa Gold (WIX).

16. Dec 2, 2009 at 5:20 AM
    671taco

671taco thekeithchronicles

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    twenty-ten rc
    wth? ive been using fram filters on my 88 hilux for a long time. no problems no nothing.
    im even running some performance parts if that makes any difference.

17. Apr 25, 2010 at 4:49 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I've used 'em a long time and never had reason to complain. Just use in the manner intended: Orange ones aren't meant for extended change intervals so change them every 3-5K even if you don't change (synthetic) oil; use TG for longer intervals.

IMO their main problem is being big and successful. Americans tend to dislike big, successful companies and do everything they can to tear them down. A few other cases in point: WalMart, Exxon...Toyota. Look up schadenfreude.

18. May 9, 2021 at 11:46 AM
    Yote Trapper

Yote Trapper RIP Abby

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Off Road
    Aggressive tires
    Consider this 10 years ago Fram filters were made in the US they are made in China now, I just changed my oil and filter and the smaller o ring is the wrong size it’s to big it won’t lay in the channel that it should fit in. If a guy forced it together he would have a mess most likely I had to put the old one back in for now.

The sad thing is I bought a 6 pack of the Fram filters before I knew they were made in China now, I believe the Wix brands are made in the US still.

19. May 9, 2021 at 7:42 PM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab
    WoW this tread is over 10 years old and still bashing FRAM,

20. May 11, 2021 at 8:52 AM
    oldtimertoyota

oldtimertoyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2009 4X4 Double Cab-1986 2wd Pickup Orig own
    This is an old thread but I thought I would add that I’ve always used the Fram filters in my 1986 Toyota pickup that I bought new, the truck currently has 347,000 miles on the original motor. I checked on my most recent purchase of a Fram oil filter and it is still marked “made in USA”

DocD likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top