1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whats in your Bug Out Bag

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by DRJ1014, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Jan 15, 2018 at 6:43 AM
    Fiesta346

Fiesta346 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma sr5 white access cab 2.7L manual
    Regarding the get home bag, mine and yours are very similar! One suggestion throw a dry bag of some sort in your pack this will keep the rest of your gear dry while you're enjoying your rain gear.

2. Jan 18, 2018 at 8:55 PM
    OrangeJulius

OrangeJulius Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Orange TRD off-road WIP
    My bag is to get me home. I live in Dallas so there’s nowhere to bug out to. Across the street from me is a pasture with cattle. If society breaks down, I’m kidnapping a cow.

wood714 and Fiesta346 like this.
  3. Jan 24, 2018 at 1:32 PM
    0uTkAsT

0uTkAsT Resident Outsider

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '18 6MT Off Road
    Money Pit
    I keep a med kit with a shoulder strap and spare mag for my carry gun in a mag carrier in my truck at all times, along with several bottles of water, a tool kit, a second knife, and a solar charger. If I had to grab it and go, I'd feel adequately prepared with that stuff on me as my get home bag for all the further I would need to travel. In a real-world SHTF scenario, my biggest concern would be picking up my kid from the sitter 15 miles away with everyone losing their shit and panicking vs. any kind of long-term defense, survival or E&E.

I think people often overthink this. The biggest emergency most of us are likely to face in our lifetimes is a car accident or something of the sort and 99.5% of us aren't even physically or mentally equipped to handle that. In a true disaster, first priority is gathering family and ensuring their immediate safety. Next priority is having basic necessities on hand wherever you live to comfortably ride out most disasters for at least 3-5 days. Third would then be having somewhere to bounce to and the mobility to do so if the situation dictates. 90+% of us live in a city and bugging out in the truest sense of the phrase is realistically impractical, if not impossible. Even those of us who don't live in a big city, leaving your home to head somewhere unestablished with the hopes of riding out whatever is going on and relying solely on the contents of a backpack for extended periods of time might sound cool but is not a sound action plan.

If basic EDC, a get home bag and a good pair of shoes isn't enough to un-fuck whatever situation you're in, it's already too late for most folks.

AxisCab and MadDaddy like this.
  4. Jan 24, 2018 at 3:09 PM
    TruckFan09

TruckFan09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    If most of us are honest, a BOB or get home bag really just gives us an excuse to buy cool gear.

lucky13don likes this.
  5. Jan 24, 2018 at 3:34 PM
    OrangeJulius

OrangeJulius Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Orange TRD off-road WIP
    Levis, socks, old t-shirts, an old work laptop backpack, glock mags, a lighter, water bottle, a knife and stone, and aspirin is all pretty cool.

Flash_Adalwolf likes this.
  6. Jan 8, 2019 at 12:12 PM
    GPC

GPC Well-Known Member

Member:
    LFOD
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Pro

Products Discussed in

To Top