1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's needed for towing?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by kalsonc, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Jul 2, 2018 at 10:18 PM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    As part of your negotiation ask to hook up and tow your trailer around town and a short stint on the hwy as part of the test drive. Don’t assume it will tow ok until you try it.

I pull my trailer a few times a year to go motorcycle racing. It is similar distance to what you are going but my trailer size and weight are much less. I wouldn’t want to pull your rig and I would get the full sized. My last truck was a Ram with a 5.9l Cummins and I didn’t even feel the trailer back there. The Tacoma pulls it but is reving while running 4th gear almost exclusively and dropping to third as needed. If I decide to do a few races at a track I ran when I was young it is now 7+ hours at 100kmh without pit stops. I am debating borrowing a truck to do it so I can relax when I tow instead of the truck reving all the time.

I would hate to see you buy the Tacoma and then hate to tow with it. I pulled my neighbors little open utility trailer to Home Depot the other day and it drops to 5th and stays there. I picked up a piece of Masonite and a piece of Fiberglass reinforced plastic. So still pretty empty and the mesh tailgate ramp caused enough drag to keep it from 6th gear.

WSW3 and kalsonc[OP] like this.
  2. Jul 2, 2018 at 10:25 PM
    kalsonc

kalsonc [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Appreciate the honesty

I already tried to ask if can test with my tow rig but sadly can't.

It's gonna be a leap of faith in a sense but no documents signed yet so Im trying to gather as much info as possible from everywhere

3. Jul 2, 2018 at 10:35 PM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    When I was shopping I had it written into the contract that it had to be brake controller ready. The salesman wasn’t 100% sure so I had that written in. Towing was one of my criteria.

In your case towing is a major stipulation to your needs in a truck. Find a rental company with a Tacoma similar to what you want. Rent it for the day and test it out with your trailer behind it.

kalsonc[OP] likes this.
  4. Jul 2, 2018 at 10:59 PM
    kalsonc

Member:
    Looked around as per your suggestion

Only f150 to me locally lol

Anyone can chime in towing 4500lb or so?

5. Jul 2, 2018 at 11:42 PM
    Kelly6773

Kelly6773 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SC
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sport DCLB
    I’ve towed 3,500 LBS down the east coast. 800 miles. Trailer was 8’6” wide. 2’ sides on it. The truck did ok except for steeper hills in PA & VA. I just slowed down and kept the RPM’s at 3k. I do it twice a year. Next year I’ll be taking a smaller camper about your weight. OVtune may help.

6. Jul 3, 2018 at 7:58 AM
    HawkNRoll55

HawkNRoll55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno 4x4 OR DCSB AT
    I tow my trailer around Washington. its about 5.2k tops when loaded. did fine. I would also throw in getting E rated tires for that load, and pump them up when you tow. you can roll lower psi for daily. Get the tow package as well, and if you're doing some distance or hills, think about upgrading the tranny cooler to a larger aftermarket. springs are high up there (these stock ones blowww) and some kind of support like sumo or airbags. ill be going airbags in the near future.

7. Jul 3, 2018 at 8:15 AM
    Blktre

Blktre Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Oz....
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White DCLB TRDOR: The White Goat
    Might look into the Anderson WDH. It uses chains instead of trunnion bars. With my experience towing on the Kansas plains with 25mph wind I can say I'm very happy with the performance and not having the hassle of bars.

8. Jul 3, 2018 at 8:20 AM
    Mobtown Offroad

Mobtown Offroad Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Harrington, DE
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 4Runner
    I have a new F-150, you’re gonna want airbags with that too. The rear leafs are really soft. Good for ride comfort, garbage for towing. My truck squats heavily when towing anything over 4000 lbs.

9. Jul 4, 2018 at 9:42 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    I tow a travel trailer that is 23ft long and +5,000lbs with my 2012 Tacoma and it does fine. You are within the specs for the truck if it has a tow package.

Run a brake controller and a properly setup weight distribution hitch. Don't bother with airbags...they are in effective when it comes to towing and do not shift weight over the front axle and back to the trailer like a weight distribution hitch does.

You should have no problem maintaining 55mph, even in the mountains, as long as you're not afraid to make the truck work. I live at 4,500ft elevation and am usually towing over passes between 6,000 and 8,000ft where I'm often passing full size trucks pulling trailers. I'm not sure about the 3rd gen but my truck likes to cruise at 60-65mph with the trailer.

If you get an automatic transmission you'll want to pick up an ultragauge or scangauge to monitor your transmission temps and read the owner's manual for info on towing (don't tow in D and I believe the new one new have other recommendations as well).

05458F62-5238-42DA-9387-8BB16CB60911.jpg

10. Jul 13, 2018 at 1:27 PM
    kalsonc

Member:
    Quick question

Which weight distribution hitch is recommended?

I'm towing probably 5000lb so my tongue weight js around 500-600?

11. Jul 15, 2018 at 8:05 PM
    kalsonc

Member:
    so... been enjoying my taco

will be towing my trailer last next month

looking into buying a WD

My trailer is a 20' Cargomate Enclosed Car Trailer

I'm having issues deciding on which WD to get.. at this moment im leaning towards Husky Centerline but cant determine my TW

If someone can give me some insight - thank you

Products Discussed in

To Top