1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's on the food menu when off-roading

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Y2kbaja, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Apr 9, 2018 at 4:25 PM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre Runner supercharged 4cyl
    TRD supercharger , Doug Thorley header , K&N CAI 265/75-16 Toyo open country mud terrain , 15x8 Method Racing wheels , Rancho 3" lift , 4.88 gears , Detroit Locker
    C Rats or MRE's

2. Apr 10, 2018 at 12:13 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Grilling is the way to go. Dinner is my main meal and I just have a light breakfast and coffee and light lunch. I bring a small gas grill or sometimes a charcoal grill. I grill steak, chicken , ribs, hamburger sometimes fish. Sometimes I bring things l have harvested hunting like pheasant, duck breasts, venison. In addition grill a few veggies and bring some salad mix. At the end of the day I find it is quite pleasant sitting in a camp chair grilling a steak and drinking a beer or glass of wine and mellowing out. Little fuss and little mess/cleanup. I find it depressing if at the end of the day my meal was going to be some canned, boxed, wrapped bland tasteless crappy excuse for food.

wanderlust and Kmalloy like this.
  3. Apr 10, 2018 at 12:17 PM
    Trident904

Trident904 Touching Drum Sets

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    Vehicle:
    17 4Runner TRD OR
    Modded it so much it turned into a 4Runner
    I tend to pack things that don't have to be cooked and can be eaten from it's own packaging.

Spaghettios, Pork n beans, Vienna Sausages, Wolf Brand Chili, Deviled Ham or any potted meat with some saltines, etc...

4. Apr 10, 2018 at 12:21 PM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD supercharger , Doug Thorley header , K&N CAI 265/75-16 Toyo open country mud terrain , 15x8 Method Racing wheels , Rancho 3" lift , 4.88 gears , Detroit Locker
    spend a few years in the military then you'll appreciate MRE's or CRAT's

5. Apr 10, 2018 at 12:27 PM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    This is always my sticking point. KP is never fun.

6. Apr 10, 2018 at 12:30 PM
    rob1208

rob1208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma DCSB MGM TRD OR
    TRD Supercharger AFE CAI ProDryS ADS 2.5 Remote Resi Shocks ADS Rear Piggy Back 10" Travel Shocks ADS 2.0 Rear Hydro Bump Kit Deaver U402 Leaf Pack + Add a Leaf MCM Fab Uniball UCAs TC Spindle Gussets BAMF 100% Bolt On Sliders BAMF 1/4" Steel Skid Trilogy BAMF Diff Diaper Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper with Warn VR10000-s Winch Brute Force Fab High Clearance Dual Swingout Rear Bumper Custom Car Grills Mesh Grill Insert Stealth Custom Series SR8 - Matte Black 16x8 285/75/16 Toyo Tires Open Country AT2 Relentless Fabrication Ditch Light Bracket Mounts 2x2 Ditch Lights Apex Fab Works Flush Lower Grill Light Bar Mounts Caliraised 32" Light Bar Tech Deck Extreme Vagabond Outdoors Drifter
    if youre talking about a multi-day wheeling / camping trip, then definitely some mix of burgers, dogs, steak, deli sandwiches, chips, and eggs for most of my solo meals. If its a group trip, sometimes everyone will bring and cook stuff potluck style.

If you're talking about a day trip wheeling, then it depends on the group I'm with. If we don't really take long lunch breaks, I'll just bring a burrito or a deli sandwich and some snacks to eat throughout the day. If its a group who takes a longer lunch break, then I may bring a grill and have some dogs, burgers, or some other easy to heat meat.

If I'm cooking, I try to bring something that is already seasoned and prepped so the amount of garbage I take back out is reduced and all I have to do after a long day is just cook. Try to keep it simple as possible

7. Apr 10, 2018 at 1:30 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    A year in Vietnam taught me to hate mre’s, back then they were called mci’s

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    truchador and EatSleepTacos like this.
  8. Apr 10, 2018 at 2:56 PM
    truchador

truchador Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Otto
    WV
    Vehicle:
    15 DC OR
    weathertech, seat covers, scratches
    :ohsnap:

EatSleepTacos likes this.
  9. Apr 10, 2018 at 2:59 PM
    Metallikatz3

Metallikatz3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
    Hobo packs. Throw whatever you want in some foil. Toss it on the coals in a fire = deliciousness and basically no clean up.

I've been precooking a chicken breast, stuffing, veggies, spices, and some extra broth lately as my camping meal.

truchador likes this.
  10. May 1, 2018 at 12:49 PM
    Jaque8

Jaque8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR
    and you won't shit for a week! :)

11. May 1, 2018 at 12:53 PM
    Jaque8

Jaque8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR
    My go to lazy last minute meal for camping: Costco Pizza.

Order a costco pizza on the way out so its ready by the time we stop by (I gas up at Costco while we pickup the pizza to really save time), then individually wrap pieces in tin foil and toss them in the cooler. All this can be done while I'm gassing up the trucks.

Then when you're ready for dinner just get the campfire going and toss the tin foil wrapped slices on the rocks of the fire pit for a few minutes and BAM tastes like fresh warm pizza.

No cleanup, super simple and fast.

But now I have a girlfriend who loves cooking and meal prepping so my last few camping trips I've been eating like a king. If you have time to prepare the night before Kebab's work great for camping just put the meat/veggies on the night before, wrap them up, and hold them over fire when ready to cook.

Edit: bonus desert tip she made for our last trip (she must've seen this on Etsy or some shit), make smore's ice cream cones! Take a sugar cone ice cream cone, stuff it with mini marshmellows, chocolate and butterscotch chips, and add some sliced strawberries.... wrap in tin foil and just like the pizza just set it next to the fire.... FUCKING DELICIOUS

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    SATXguy and Bastek like this.
  12. May 1, 2018 at 2:08 PM
    Y2kbaja

Y2kbaja [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    05 Total Chaos Tacoma
    Total Chaos
    We went with our quick and easy smuckers frozen pb&j. They are ok. But when your buddy breaks out a smoked tri-tip sandwich or 7-layer bean dip I get super jealous and hungry and my pb&j tastes like dirt now. I really need to step up my quick prerun lunches.

SATXguy likes this.
  13. May 3, 2018 at 7:47 AM
    wanderlust

wanderlust Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab TRD Manual
    I wholeheartedly agree, can't understand why anyone would subject themselves to just canned stuff or MREs when a steak or even some ground beef for burgers is 1000x better and just as easy cleanup. Getting out in the woods is an excuse for me to forget about all the stuff that keeps me from eating good at home and take an extra 15 minutes to drink a beer and eat something tasty. It's not like we're backpacking and have to carry it on your back.

When I know we're going to have some extra time at a site and a campfire, I'll even throw in a dutch oven and do up some chicken, potatoes, and even corn on the cob. A couple years ago on thanksgiving we had cornish game hens, potatoes and carrots in the dutch oven in Moab. Throw it all in there, put some coals on top and come back a couple hours later and you can't beat it. Plus one pot meals are easy cleanup.

14. May 3, 2018 at 7:57 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Thought of this immediately. :thumbsup:

15. May 3, 2018 at 8:06 AM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    Nothing wrong with MRE's or CRAT's !!

Jaque8[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. May 3, 2018 at 8:20 AM
    Sammie

Sammie :D :P ;)

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 Tacoma BBP
    We do something similar with tortilla shells. Mini marshmallows, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and chocolate chips wrapped in the tortilla shell placed in tinfoil.

Jaque8[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. May 3, 2018 at 8:30 AM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    Used to be a very avid backpacker prior to joining the Military . with backpacking you want to keep your pack lite so freeze dried food was the only option . In the Military we had CRAT's and MRE's similar to Backpacking food

Since then I've always packed light in food supplies on camping trips using canned items or MRE's . it's easier to carry ,takes up less space in your vehicle and never have to worry about keeping it frozen or worrying about it thawing out or spoiling

18. May 3, 2018 at 11:23 AM
    Jaque8

Jaque8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR
    I dig it... I'd call it the "Mexican S'Mores"

eerrr... "S'Morexicans"

SATXguy likes this.
  19. May 3, 2018 at 11:28 AM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    Spagettios in the can

20. May 3, 2018 at 11:29 AM
    Y2kbaja

Y2kbaja [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    05 Total Chaos Tacoma
    Total Chaos
    The canned food is great if you're on the 5th day of your planned 4-day trip.

Products Discussed in

To Top